HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Oduya (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1028651)

Frustrated 11-13-2011 07:39 AM

Oduya

Three and a half million dollar contract for what???? Time to trade this bum.

Zhamnov10 11-13-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frustrated (Post 39366697)
Three and a half million dollar contract for what???? Time to trade this bum.

Unfortunately minus about 10 really bad passes,he has been our best defenceman all year,I agree he is not worth 3.5 mil and he probably will be traded due to his ufa status at the end of the year,i'm not sure if we are better off waiting until trade deadline or trying to trade him now and tank the season.again it is sad that he has been our most consistent d-man as good as stuart and bogo have been at times they have made a lot of really bad plays out there.And for all those people yelling to bring up postma you can now see that he is clearly not ready and i am not sure if he ever will his skating is a real issue ok by ahl standards but not nhl.

King Woodballs 11-13-2011 08:56 AM

He has actually played pretty well this year.
Have you actually watched him?

Crazed Fan 11-13-2011 09:28 AM

Absolutely hated Oduya for ruining the home opener. Since then he has settled down, and became one of the solid players in the lineup. Once they slapped that A on his jersey on the road trip, his confidence sky-rocketed. He is definitely performing.
I actually like Johnny Oduya now.... gives me hope for Buffs defensive game. ( i am not a Buff hater)
Even Bogo has impressed lately (with the exception of horribly timed penalties). Looks like Huddy is earning his keep. Slow and steady.

vBurmi 11-13-2011 12:05 PM

[mod]

:laugh:

Oduya has been good lately. Cap hit shouldn't be something to worry about at this point. We're not near the cap nor are we in a position to add high-priced players right now.

YWGinYYZ 11-13-2011 12:53 PM

Oduya and Bogo have been bright spots recently IMHO - they seem to be buying into what Huddy's selling.

Hank Chinaski 11-13-2011 01:03 PM

Oduya has actually been our most consistent dman since Enstrom went down. Very few mistakes in his own end, and has injected a bit of offense with some smart, effective rushes. His game has really settled down after looking awful in the first half dozen games.

Re: his contract...it's the typical bloated contract given to a UFA. Oduya merited legitimate top 4 consideration in NJ, which was based largely on being paired with the extremely underrated and effective Paul Martin. Oduya is not a top 4 guy, but he's looked like he can be a very good bottom-pairing guy who can function as a top 4 in a pinch.

SwimToTheMoon 11-13-2011 01:28 PM

Oduya started off terribly, but has really impressed me as of late. He's turned it around.

Ryan Giggs 11-13-2011 01:53 PM

You do have to remember the injury problems in our defense over the past few weeks... and remember just how much we are missing Enstrom

OgoBogo 11-13-2011 02:19 PM

I like Oduya. He actually reminds me of Enstrom. He is the least of our worries.

Jet 11-13-2011 06:03 PM

Oduya has been excellent lately.

We have more pressing issues on D, for instance getting Enstrom and Hainsey back, sending our AHL guys back to the farm, and finding a way to get Byfuglien away from our D corps.

wpgsilver 11-13-2011 06:22 PM

I think Oduya to some extent is stuck being a victim of a bad first impression. He played poorly the first 5 games of the year, but since that point he's been very solid for us. When you take into account that hes been forced to play significant minutes due to injury I'm pleased with him.

bigplay41 11-13-2011 07:16 PM

He's also huge in the locker room very well liked, from what I heard he is a leader in the dressing room

sipowicz 11-14-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 39367285)
He has actually played pretty well this year.
Have you actually watched him?

No kidding, Oduya has performed pretty well since about game 4. He is an NHL D-man!

peter sullivan 11-14-2011 12:37 AM

he had a brutal start but has gotten better....far from our biggest problem on defence...

our biggest problem on defence is about 6'-5" and 265lbs.

Lynk 11-14-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter sullivan (Post 39403643)
he had a brutal start but has gotten better....far from our biggest problem on defence...

our biggest problem on defence is about 6'-5" and 265lbs

Fatty McButterpants.

pegcity 11-15-2011 04:12 PM

Keep in mind at 3.5 million he's a 30 year old free agent at the end of the season. He might walk or we could trade him.....or not. Just saying

BennyTheJet 11-15-2011 11:54 PM

You mean this guy?

http://i.imgur.com/FIB1a.png

broinwhyteridge 11-16-2011 12:05 AM

Oduya will get us a 2nd/3rd rounder from a playoff team this spring (assuming of course that we aren't in the running and keep him).

WJG 11-16-2011 12:23 AM

Oduya was actually one of my favorite players before the season started. He didn't start the year of well (nor did anyone else on the team) but I think he's really turned it around.

I think he's a solid 5-6 guy and wouldn't be against re-signing him. However I think we have no choice but to let him walk. We have more capable NHL defensemen than spots for them.

I think next year our defense becomes:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Stuart-Bogosian
Hainsey-Postma
(Flood/Meech, Kulda)

AndersUlfBobby 11-16-2011 12:32 AM

Aside from the "free pizza's" that he had been delivering very early in the season, he's really settled down and has become on of our more dependable d'men.

How many other players in the NHL have slow starts but once the season gets going come around and perform up to their capabilities? I'd say there are quite afew. Do you see a rash of trades this early in the year because a whole bunch of guys are slow starters. No, you don't. So that is an unreasonable demand.

Jet 11-16-2011 01:25 AM

Oduya made a really sexy spinorama yesterday and a pass and you can really tell this guy has his mojo back.

Huddy has turned around the games of Bogosian, Oduya and it would appear Jones. Just as Huddy fans had predicted. It was one of this orgs better moves in the offseason.

wpgsilver 11-16-2011 01:40 AM

I agree that Huddy has done great work thus far in the year.
Oduya is definitely playing at the level he's expected to perform at. I was pleased with his game against the lightning, and am very pleased to see he's rocking an epic stache.

Frustrated 11-16-2011 08:33 AM

I will never forget the player introductions at the Carolina game when everyone Boooooed Oduya. I think he is a flop.

ps241 11-16-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frustrated (Post 39504005)
I will never forget the player introductions at the Carolina game when everyone Boooooed Oduya. I think he is a flop.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.