HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   New CBA? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1029933)

Vamos Rafa 11-14-2011 07:37 PM

New CBA?

With the cancellation of the NBA season almost happening, is the NHL gonna be next year's NBA? I don't know any more details, but should we all be worried?

Josh Deitell 11-14-2011 07:42 PM

Unlike the NBA, the NHL's current CBA (as a result of the last lockout) is well-designed and flexible. The only really contentious issue is the long-term cap cheat deals. I don't think it'll be a problem.

TonySCV 11-14-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grillinnap (Post 39434995)
With the cancellation of the NBA season almost happening, is the NHL gonna be next year's NBA? I don't know any more details, but should we all be worried?

No. The NBA is going through what the NHL went through in 2004-2005. Nothing close to what the NHL will go through this off-season. the salary cap is already in place. Revenue sharing is already in place. The players are well-paid. Revenue is up. Everyone is relatively happy. They'll make some changes but it won't result in any sort of work stoppage.

Not to mention that most NHL players still are dealing with the pain of losing a full season of salary and hockey for it to even come close to happening again. Bill Guerin said it was a mistake, and he'd kill for 82 more games in this league. I'm sure a lot of players (particularly retired players who lost that season) feel that way.

redcard 11-14-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grillinnap (Post 39434995)

No, the NHL's done well since the last lockout and won't let another one hinder their progress. Furthermore, there are still many players in the league that sat through the last lockout and I can't see them supporting missing a second season in their careers. Everything will be worked out, there aren't very many critical issues that they need to decide on.

Jason Lewis 11-14-2011 08:48 PM

Nah. The current CBA is very flexible and fair....

the problem with the NBA is that the last CBA was a complete and utter fleecing by the players union....and of course they didn't want it to be any different this time. Even though it would be fair to favor the owners in this CBA...thus greedy players are wanting to continue to be greedy..and there is a lockout.

The NHL is in a way better position

damacles1156 11-14-2011 08:53 PM

The NBA is actually losing money; and the Owners are not happy about it. The NHL went through the same thing.

Right now the NHL is making money; so everyone is happy. Players salaries are right back at the top.

The NBA players union is dumb. The Owners are going to win; The only question is by how much.

The Arrogance by NBA players is just loony. Players have every right to demand whatever; But thinking you deserve more than Owners (who take all the risks) is just crazy.

KINGS17 11-14-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damacles1156 (Post 39440085)
The NBA is actually losing money; and the Owners are not happy about it. The NHL went through the same thing.

Right now the NHL is making money; so everyone is happy. Players salaries are right back at the top.

The NBA players union is dumb. The Owners are going to win; The only question is by how much.

The Arrogance by NBA players is just loony. Players have every right to demand whatever; But thinking you deserve more than Owners (who take all the risks) is just crazy.

Yep, I think the NBA players should put up the bucks and develop their own league. I'm sure it would be a big success. :sarcasm:

piston 11-15-2011 02:29 PM

I think the views expressed here are extremely naive. Yes, I believe the players are happy with the current set up as are the large market teams. There are too many teams losing gobs of money and in or near bankruptcy to sustain the current system. The steady rise of the salary floor, which moves in tandem with the cap, is killing the small markets. I predict the owners will exercise their right to opt out of the CBA next season, and that the resulting labor problems will be highly contentious.

KINGS17 11-15-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piston (Post 39464087)
I think the views expressed here are extremely naive. Yes, I believe the players are happy with the current set up as are the large market teams. There are too many teams losing gobs of money and in or near bankruptcy to sustain the current system. The steady rise of the salary floor, which moves in tandem with the cap, is killing the small markets. I predict the owners will exercise their right to opt out of the CBA next season, and that the resulting labor problems will be highly contentious.

I think in this case I would be on the side of the players if they insisted on increased revenue sharing. The owners are after all in reality partners and only friendly competitors.

I don't think the players should be seeking a bigger share of the revenue pie.

The practice of burying players with bad contracts in the minors needs to go away as well.

Those are the major things I think the next CBA needs to address.

If the players get stupid and ask for a lower UFA age, I expect the owners to introduce the idea of eliminating guaranteed contracts.

I am hoping all of the parties involved in the NHL don't have short memories and are paying attention to the NBA situation. A work stoppage will not help either side this time, as it did the owners last time.

Winger23 11-15-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

The players gave back nearly 300 million a year by agreeing to go from 57% down to 50%.

I don't think it's the money issues holding things up now. (Edit: For all teams except those small market teams, roughly 10 of them, who wan't the players share to go down to 47%) If I have understood the topic at all it's more about player movement and length of contracts etc. Cleveland's owner is still butt hurt over losing LeBron and the owners want to give players even less of a chance to play where they want to go.

I'm not siding for either side, cause the only people hurting from this are those lower/middle class workers that depend on the NBA to put food on the table for their families. Most could give a flying F if someone is only making 3 million a year vs 6 million. sucks to be them :shakehead If they want to show they are about fairness, all NBA teams and players should take 10% of their earnings and give it to those employees of the NBA who are making less than 100k a year.

Rich people who think they are entitled to stuff and not realize whats happening in the real world makes me sick.

The NHL is in really good shape right now. The longer these morons in the NBA go without a season, the more the NHL has a chance to grow.

Master Yoda 11-15-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

I have a hard time believing games will be lost, but I agree that the salary floor is the biggest issue. Its driving up the salary of mediocre players just so those teams can get to the floor. Not only that, it doesn't make any sense to have a floor move in tandem with the cap because if the cap gets high enough, there won't be much of a difference in spending between the cap and the floor teams. That has to change to a percentage of the cap.

Butch 19 11-15-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damacles1156 (Post 39440085)

Last night I think it was commish Stern saying that the current average salary is between $5m - 7m and the new CBA would increase it to $6m - 9m. (or something like that)

The AVERAGE salary at 6m - 9m??? What's the holdup NBA players? :laugh:

A co-worker has Laker season seats, and he hopes they cancel the whole season. He'll keep his seats, he's just tired of the hassle of selling games he can't go to and he wants a year off.

null33 11-15-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

The salary floor issue is solved with greater revenue sharing.

Eliminating salary dumps to the minor leagues and long-term, front loaded contracts will help some, too, if only by shoring up competitiveness.

KingsFanInRI 11-15-2011 09:04 PM

Who gives Ken Linseman's backside about the NBA anyway?