HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Displeased with 4.80 PPG performance (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1030115)

SauceHockey 11-14-2011 11:22 PM

Displeased with 4.80 PPG performance

As some of you know I have been cut from A for backwards skating and shooting even though I am a Center. Ever since I was sent down to house I have been dominant on a consistant bases but I am still displeased thinking that I could play rep. with the statline I have had:
Game 1: 2 Goals, 0 Assits in 7-6 Win
Game 2: 4 Goals, 0 Assits in 11-1 Win
----------------------- Got Traded to even out house to Game 2 Team-------------
Game 3: 4 Goals, 1 Assists in 8-12 Loss (scored 3 in the third)
Game 4: 5 Goals, 2 Assists in 12-7 Win (3 SHG)
Game 5: 5 Goals, 1 Assists in 12-8 Loss

Overall: 20 goals, 4 Assits in 5 games
Now I feel disappointed knowing that most of the guys that did not get cut would have not scored half of I would, even though I'm scoring at high rates it would feel the same knowing that I could be up there scoring and helping them out but instead stuck in Housewere it is just to simple :(. Is there anyway to deal with my indifference/disappointement with this.

Saved* 11-14-2011 11:28 PM

Murder Suicide. Only option.

Pog Form 11-14-2011 11:35 PM

Instead of scoring five goals a game, maybe focus on not giving up twelve?

SauceHockey 11-14-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pog Form (Post 39447167)

Our Defense is no good

maetix 11-14-2011 11:43 PM

Work on your two way game and passing. Work on making the players around you better.

Chalupa Batman 11-15-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdwe1 (Post 39447245)
Our Defense is no good

You're a part of your defense. Once you figure that out, you'll understand why you were cut.

izzy3 11-15-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdwe1 (Post 39447245)
Our Defense is no good

Center (your position) is the third defensman. Ask Datsyuk.

Lonny Bohonos 11-15-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Bingo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor No (Post 39448581)
You're a part of your defense. Once you figure that out, you'll understand why you were cut.

Ha ha ha. Owned!:handclap:

Jarick 11-15-2011 09:17 AM

Just keep at it and maybe you'll get called up.

For people talking about defense, how do you know if he's even on the ice for the goals against?

noobman 11-15-2011 09:50 AM

If you're walking around with an "I'm too good to be here" mentality, your teammates are going to pick up on it and they're going to have as miserable time as you are. You know what tells me you have that attitude? 20 goals and 4 assists! You're a CENTER FFS... use that open ice and vision to set up some plays!

There's more to hockey than just scoring goals. Yes, some of the guys on the rep team won't score as many goals as you do, but they must have some quality that makes them a better fit. Their skating ability means that they're transitioning faster and probably better in their defensive zone. Work on your skating and passing. I'm sure the coaches know you're a goal scorer. It's time to show them what else you can do.

If you want to cut it as a center, you need to be a better skater. You need to be a better playmaker.

If you want to cut it as a hockey player, you need to be a better team guy. Have some fun out there playing hockey. Take a leadership role on the team if you can... tell your linemates where you'd like them to be for you to pass it. Set up a play with them that'll allow them to get some scoring chances as well, or at least help them find *you* when you're open to rifle home a goal. A rep coach probably isn't going to want a below average skater that floats around the ice and thinks he's hot stuff because of it.

You are a young player and you have a lot to learn yet. You're not in the league you want to be... and while that may feel terrible, it's also a chance for you to work on some of your other skills. If you can go to training camp next season and show the coaches that you've maintained your ability to score goals in addition to improving in other aspects, you'll make a much better case for yourself.

Jarick 11-15-2011 09:55 AM

Well 3 shorties in one game is pretty good too. Coach must trust you to put you on the PK.

Honestly nobody can judge if you're good or bad without watching you or getting context.

Just talk to the coaches and ask what they want you to do and what you need to improve.

Steelhead16 11-15-2011 10:25 AM

I coach varsity high school hockey and just from the outside looking in with the small amount of information that you have provided a few things stand out to me. First glaring one to me is that as a center you have way too many goals to assists. There could be many reasons for this: Coach has you in the wrong position.....your wingers are weak....or you are not a playmaker. Not having seen you play I can't comment on which one or combination it is. Have you asked the coach what his "real" reason was for sending you down? It may not be an answer you want to hear but may be an answer you need to hear. I have an issue with my team this year in that I have only one guy on my team who has a center's mentality and I have to "invent two centers.

Just the little bit of information I have I personally wouldn't have you playing center. You seem fixated on your goal numbers and that is the opposite of what a center needs to be focusing on. If you want to keep playing center then maybe take a look at your focus and see if there is something you can change about it so that you fit better into that position. Or change and play wing where you are free to score like a mad man.

Either way working harder than everyone and being a good team player will be a hard thing for the coach to miss just as moping and whining are a hard thing to miss. You decide which one will get you called back up and go with that.

Good luck.

Stickmata 11-15-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Hah, I was thinking the same thing. OP, does your league play without goalies? Those scores are ridiculous.

And based on your posts, is there a chance you were cut due to attitude rather than skill? As in, "I'm too good to need to improve my game and I'm only a center so why do I need to be able to skate backwards..."?

noobman 11-15-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 39455857)
Hah, I was thinking the same thing. OP, does your league play without goalies? Those scores are ridiculous.

It actually doesn't sound that crazy for house league. When I was growing up playing house league we'd have quite a few 12-8 or 9-6 game. There was a five-goal mercy rule though, so if a team was up by more than five they would switch to a running time clock and not post up additional goals.

It's usually because the young D-men aren't that great, the goalies aren't fantastic, and most of the time every team is thinking offense over defense.

CornKicker 11-15-2011 10:41 AM

if you are scoring 20gs you should ask your coach to play defence. learn to skate backwards and have an appreciation of how the game is played in both zones.

ps your attitude stinks and i would have cut you also

newfr4u 11-15-2011 10:53 AM

OP,

i would not cut you from a team. but the onus is on you to improve your backwards skating and shooting if that's the real reason you were cut. good luck. you are clearly good enough to work on it and get back to A in no time. i would definitely attempt to play defense or wing while you down in House though. it gives you a fresher perspective on your own position, seeing what the other F/C is not doing. i am sure your coach/teammates will be open minded about this.

Gino 14 11-15-2011 12:05 PM

I agree that your attitude is probably what got you cut, your inability to skate was a nice excuse. Instead of just posting goals, post your +/- and show what you do on D. What have you been doing to work on your skating skills to get you moved back up, or are you just sitting in House and whining?

Dump and Chase 11-15-2011 12:22 PM

This thread is lol worthy.

How can anybody start talking about his goal to assist ratio without actually watching him play. Maybe every time he turns on the jets no one can keep up with him...Maybe his line mates have no clue how to get open or how to be in the right position to help on scoring opportunities. It is also possible that he is just a puck hog too.

On my over 35 rec team I have a winger who does not have a clue how to get open. Most of the time he can't find a way to get in a passing lane on a 2-1. We have discussed it on the bench that he should just slow down a bit so I can give him a soft pass that he can easily step into but he just can't seem to put it together. So what are the options? Throw him a hot pass that he wouldn't corral 1 time in 10? There are still ways to get the puck to him but the opportunities are just not there like they would be with a guys who gets it.

As much as I wish it I can't turn this guy into a goal scorer so why would that be on me? I have gift wrapped about 30 scoring chances for him this year and he has 2 goals. Besides it's rec hockey which is basically house league for grown ups. We laugh about it, have fun and he tries his best but is the first to make fun of his lack of talent.

Should I score less often to keep my goal to assist ratio optimal??

Also, I don't know what OP's league is like but in Canada there is no body checking anymore at the house league level. This drastically limits how well you can play defensively and forces the scores to go up. And lets face it, defense is not a priority in house league hockey any way.

The flip side is that the thread is a thinly veiled "I score 5 goals a game" brag anyway.

LOL

Stickmata 11-15-2011 01:14 PM

BTW, a center that can't skate backwards well is pretty useless IMO. You can't be the two way player you have to be if you can't skate backwards effectively.

Jarick 11-15-2011 01:43 PM

But do you know how good or bad his backwards skating is? It sounds like he should be playing wing the next level up.

And the tread is getting downright stupid.

CornKicker 11-15-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dump and Chase (Post 39459573)
This thread is lol worthy.

How can anybody start talking about his goal to assist ratio without actually watching him play. Maybe every time he turns on the jets no one can keep up with him...Maybe his line mates have no clue how to get open or how to be in the right position to help on scoring opportunities. It is also possible that he is just a puck hog too.

On my over 35 rec team I have a winger who does not have a clue how to get open. Most of the time he can't find a way to get in a passing lane on a 2-1. We have discussed it on the bench that he should just slow down a bit so I can give him a soft pass that he can easily step into but he just can't seem to put it together. So what are the options? Throw him a hot pass that he wouldn't corral 1 time in 10? There are still ways to get the puck to him but the opportunities are just not there like they would be with a guys who gets it.

As much as I wish it I can't turn this guy into a goal scorer so why would that be on me? I have gift wrapped about 30 scoring chances for him this year and he has 2 goals. Besides it's rec hockey which is basically house league for grown ups. We laugh about it, have fun and he tries his best but is the first to make fun of his lack of talent.

Should I score less often to keep my goal to assist ratio optimal??

Also, I don't know what OP's league is like but in Canada there is no body checking anymore at the house league level. This drastically limits how well you can play defensively and forces the scores to go up. And lets face it, defense is not a priority in house league hockey any way.

The flip side is that the thread is a thinly veiled "I score 5 goals a game" brag anyway.

LOL

im not sure where you live but this is lies, there is hitting from Peewee till Junior. my guess with out knowing is this guy is about midget age. you dont get cut from the A team in mens league.

Kulluminati 11-15-2011 02:44 PM

Hey OP, if you dominate as much as you do playing forward and the reason you apparently got cut from A is due to backwards skating and stuff, why don't you just play D for the rest of the season and then try out for the A team next year. A year on D should help you develop your game on both ends of the ice and then you can go back to being a centre with defensive poise, since centres are supposed to be a 3rd defense-man. And on D you can still rush the puck and stuff so you'll get your share of goals anyways. and i must say it confuses me how you even made an A team without being a decent backwards skater..

And those scores are messed up, even for house league... maybe if you go on D you can change that.

Stickmata 11-15-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 39464321)
im not sure where you live but this is lies, there is hitting from Peewee till Junior.

No sure where he lives, but I'm guessing you may live in a cave. Checking was removed from PeeWees this year.

metalan2 11-15-2011 02:48 PM

Lol what? How old are you? Also you should not be playing competitive hockey if you can not skate backwards and stuff.

Kulluminati 11-15-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 39464321)
im not sure where you live but this is lies, there is hitting from Peewee till Junior. my guess with out knowing is this guy is about midget age. you dont get cut from the A team in mens league.

No I think he's telling the truth, my cousin plays in a midget red league in Mississauga and he says there's no contact unless your in A or above, however there was contact in the highest house league level when I played at that level like 9 years ago, must be a recent change in rules.