HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Did Gainey miss the chance? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=103078)

Traitor8 09-12-2004 02:52 PM

Did Gainey miss the chance?

Before acquiring Alexei Kovalev, I wrote on this board "Habs should go for Jagr" ..Now looking at him yesterday..btw he was playing with a hip injury ..he looks great.

NYR also only gave Anson Carter for him in which WSH didn't even really want so we could of prolly only given up Balej for Jagr. He is also signed to a long term contract so we don't have to worry about losing like we do with Alexei Kovalev. And he only cost between 5-6 M $ a year which isn't a lot. Let's face it guys, this guy is said to have a terrible year and he gets 78 pts...

Just a though.

Blind Gardien 09-12-2004 03:07 PM

I imagine the debate now is the same as the debate was then. Jagr is still a great player, and if the Caps were picking up a good part of his salary, he'd definitely look interesting at $5-6M. But with Jagr these days, it's more about how he fits in off the ice, whether he's willing to be a team player, whether he can submit to the coach, etc. He's a great player, but not quite great enough anymore to put up with his sometime-attitude. It's hard to make a long-term commitment to a player when you don't really know what his commitment is going to be in return.

I dunno, I'd probably take a chance on probably-lesser guys at a lesser price, like Kariya or Selanne, who at least have good character.

P.S. As for Gainey "missing the chance"... he probably didn't even look at it as a chance. With the CBA uncertainty, probably an impending UFA like Kovalev looked a lot better than guaranteed contracts for guys like Lang and Jagr when there was no idea what the future financial landscape of the NHL would look like.

NewHabsEra* 09-12-2004 03:13 PM

One word: attitude.

Jagr as well as Kovalev could hurt us as much as they could help us... All is about their attitude.

jacklours 09-12-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Before acquiring Alexei Kovalev, I wrote on this board "Habs should go for Jagr" ..Now looking at him yesterday..btw he was playing with a hip injury ..he looks great.

NYR also only gave Anson Carter for him in which WSH didn't even really want so we could of prolly only given up Balej for Jagr. He is also signed to a long term contract so we don't have to worry about losing like we do with Alexei Kovalev. And he only cost between 5-6 M $ a year which isn't a lot. Let's face it guys, this guy is said to have a terrible year and he gets 78 pts...

Just a though.

Ohhhh he defenitely missed it. I mean, if YOU wrote it on THIS board, it must have been cause cause it was THE move to do. I really don't know what's with Bob Gainey sometimes, musn't be reading these boards often enough. I get it, he probably can't read, that's why he missed on Yagr.

But seriously though, from what I can read from reporters all the time, Yagr has a huge attitude problem and has off-ice problems with his teammates. Also, from what I can see myself while looking at Yagr. He doesn't work hard!. That always leads to problem off the ice. Personaly I will never take a player in my team that kills the chemistry in the locker room.

Jacques Plante 09-12-2004 03:26 PM

I don't want Gainey to pick up Jagr. Yes, he's an amazing talent but, as others have said, his attitude is bad. We finally have a good coach after years of mediocracy behind the bench, the last thing we need is a total coach killer like Jagr.

One thing I've found, maybe I'm wrong, is that there is only one guy who can make Jagr tick and that guy is Mario. I think that Mario is the only one who can do this because he is (was) the only player better than Jagr when they both go at 100%. However this is all meaningless speculation on my part.

HFXMooseHabs 09-12-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacklours
But seriously though, from what I can read from reporters all the time, Yagr has a huge attitude problem and has off-ice problems with his teammates. Also, from what I can see myself while looking at Yagr. He doesn't work hard!. That always leads to problem off the ice. Personaly I will never take a player in my team that kills the chemistry in the locker room.

Agree. Last season in a couple games vs. the Habs. Jagr did jack ****. He just floated around for the whole game. The last thing we need is a player that doesn't care. He was suppose to be the Capitals savior. Guess not.

goalchenyuk 09-12-2004 07:08 PM

jagr is another Lindros kind of player ; trouble maker, head problems and are not team players...is it what you want Gainey to go for ???

x-bob 09-12-2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
jagr is another Lindros kind of player ; trouble maker, head problems and are not team players...is it what you want Gainey to go for ???

you're right.....Jagr is too sellfish. He has a hell lot of talent but I would never want him on my team.

Tucker316* 09-12-2004 08:25 PM

I'd kill for Jagr on the team..selfish or not, he would vastly make the team that much better. That huge threat on the ice allows room for the other players like Kovy, koivu and zednik etc..Jagr will get his mind out of this funk it's been in for the past while and he'll become that player he was not so long ago. Never pass up the chance for an elite superstar. Never.

EaGLE1 09-12-2004 08:28 PM

I don't think that Jagr is ''that bad'' for a team.

Yeah, maybe he don't backcheck, but it's not really his role...There are Bulis kind of player to do that job.

I don't know but, if our first line would be...Zednik-Koivu-Jagr, our team would rock.

I don't care if he's a bum, when you wear the habs shirt, you have to work hard and there's no exception, Kovalev learned it and adapted to it.

Jagr is a steal at 6M.

Habruti! 09-12-2004 08:57 PM

It is all about what jells well not what looks good....

Kovalev brings capabilities and physical attributes that no one else had in the team... For that reason I think he was and still his a much better fit to our team the Jagr. Essentially, I think we would be a much better team with Kovalev that the we would with Jagr (although Jagr is much more talanted then Kovy)...

Just my 2cents...

goalchenyuk 09-12-2004 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I don't think that Jagr is ''that bad'' for a team.

Yeah, maybe he don't backcheck, but it's not really his role...There are Bulis kind of player to do that job.

I don't know but, if our first line would be...Zednik-Koivu-Jagr, our team would rock.

I don't care if he's a bum, when you wear the habs shirt, you have to work hard and there's no exception, Kovalev learned it and adapted to it.

Jagr is a steal at 6M.

hockey is a team sport...it's more important to have a group of players that are stick together than have one superstar that doesn't have any consideration for the coach and other teammate...

i can't belteve that the guy who was wining how many $$$ last 2 years was having money problem because he's a gambler... :banghead:

Hackett 09-12-2004 11:37 PM

It would be an entertaining team to watch with jagr as a hab... that's for sure.... but I don't think that makes them a stanely cup contender.

I'd rather keep the money and spend it a little more wisely thinking about the long run.

Also, I'm starting to question Jagr's durability. He always seems to have some sort of nagging injury in the past couple years

EaGLE1 09-13-2004 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
hockey is a team sport...it's more important to have a group of players that are stick together than have one superstar that doesn't have any consideration for the coach and other teammate...

i can't belteve that the guy who was wining how many $$$ last 2 years was having money problem because he's a gambler... :banghead:

well, there's 19 players on a regular lineup.
You can afford to have player like Jagr when the rest of the team are playing as a team.

jacklours 09-13-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:

well, there's 19 players on a regular lineup.
You can afford to have player like Jagr when the rest of the team are playing as a team.

That's the worst thinking I've seen in ages. So you think that the team will just put him aside and will do it's own little business? Then why do you bring him here, he won't do much by himself in the league, 2nd, he'll want a trade because he hates it, 3rd, if he wans a trade it'll be because he doesn't like it, if he doesn't, then he's not gonna work hard.

ALso, you never see 19 against 1 in a team. A player is bound ot take his side at one point or he might not cause he's gutless, but he'll hate people that sya comments about Yagr, and the guy won't be a good teammate anymore. Plus there will always be 1 guy who'll say : I'm not working hard for my pay, Yagr isn't.

EaGLE1 09-13-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacklours
That's the worst thinking I've seen in ages. So you think that the team will just put him aside and will do it's own little business? Then why do you bring him here, he won't do much by himself in the league, 2nd, he'll want a trade because he hates it, 3rd, if he wans a trade it'll be because he doesn't like it, if he doesn't, then he's not gonna work hard.

ALso, you never see 19 against 1 in a team. A player is bound ot take his side at one point or he might not cause he's gutless, but he'll hate people that sya comments about Yagr, and the guy won't be a good teammate anymore. Plus there will always be 1 guy who'll say : I'm not working hard for my pay, Yagr isn't.

everybody say that Jagr have a bad attitude and all, but i'm not so sure he's that bad for a team.

Ok then, we'll stick with Bulis on the first line :shakehead

x-bob 09-13-2004 04:38 PM

Quote:

everybody say that Jagr have a bad attitude and all, but i'm not so sure he's that bad for a team.

Bulis is the man :bow:

Jacques Plante 09-13-2004 05:37 PM

Quote:

That's just the kind of thinking that went on during the Reggie Houle era. They all thought putting on the CH would lead to Stephane Richer becoming a 50 goal scorer again and Trevor Linden becoming that great power forward he once was. I wish that the CH did have that magic power over players but it just doesn't.

It was never that "magical" CH that lead to players becoming better when they arrived in Montreal, it was the people already in that room. People with winning attitudes who didn't put up with any BS. Jagr is not that kind of guy, infact I don't really feel he has a winning attitude.

tritone 09-13-2004 06:18 PM

I don't think Gainey missed a thing , Jagr is not worth that much money anymore. He hasn't been half as spectacular as he can be for at least 3 seasons now .

GP G A PTS
1999/00 Pittsburgh Penguins 63 42 54 96
2000/01 Pittsburgh Penguins 81 52 69 121
2001/02 Washington Capitials 69 31 48 79
2002/03 Washington Capitials 75 36 41 77

77 POINTS ???? hardly worth the millions he's getting and the possible attitude problem.....add to that the fact that Jagr has always been very vocal about wanting to be playing city with beaches and hot sun ... Montreal Beach? hmmm, a hidden Oasis that Montreal beach is , maybe we could lure his interest with free passes to Oka ? LOL

goalchenyuk 09-13-2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

yea , it sad that there are absolutly not other players in the entire league exept those two , to play with Koivu...
:shakehead