HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Brad Richards is a great hockey player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1031021)

Burlington Bomb 26 11-16-2011 01:11 AM

Brad Richards is a great hockey player

This isn't meant to be an appreciation thread, but ******* is he good. I mean I always knew he was a very good player in Dallas and Tampa, but finally getting the chance to see him every night, he is very underrated among the NHL, he is definitely a top 5 center in this league, and maybe even better when hes on fire. He is a great player, and the best center we've picked up since Gretzky. And even then Gretz was on the end of his career, maybe more so Messier the first time around. I also love the fact that he has taken over Del Zotto, Messier-esque with Leetch...

Nyrvana 11-16-2011 01:22 AM

I don't know about top 5 but probably top 10. His shot on the 5 on 3 tonight that went off the post was a blast. He has elite vision and throughout his career has been very consistent. He is as you said a great hockey player.

Centers:
Crosby
Stamkos
Datsyuk
Malkin
Getzlaf

Toews
Richards
Thornton
Kopitar
Spezza

Burlington Bomb 26 11-16-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyrvana (Post 39501381)
I don't know about top 5 but probably top 10. His shot on the 5 on 3 tonight that went off the post was a blast. He has elite vision and throughout his career has been very consistent. He is as you said a great hockey player.

Centers:
Crosby
Stamkos
Datsyuk
Malkin
Getzlaf

Toews
Richards
Thornton
Kopitar
Spezza

I see Richie as a better center and player than Getzlaf, its close but I think Richie is better.

Nyrvana 11-16-2011 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox (Post 39501543)
I see Richie as a better center and player than Getzlaf, its close but I think Richie is better.

Yeah definitely debatable. Richards is a career minus player - which doesn't necessarily say he's bad defensively, but I haven't watched Getzlaf enough to compare the two defensively. I will say while I was ranking the centers, part of my thinking is who I would like to have now and therefore age was a small factor.

The Sweetness 11-16-2011 05:26 AM

Let's not forget Bäckström and Giroux. I think you could argue they have as many offensiven tools as Richards and are stronges in Theorin won zone.

Not to take anything away from Richards who is a great player.

MikeGartner22 11-16-2011 05:49 AM

I know Staal is having a bad year, but he is definitely on that list. 6-8, I'd say.

Jabroni 11-16-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGartner22 (Post 39503035)
I know Staal is having a bad year, but he is definitely on that list. 6-8, I'd say.

This is a list of centers, not D.

Vatchern 11-16-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 (Post 39503049)

I think he means Eric.

turcotte8 11-16-2011 05:54 AM

He's pretty great, but not Tim Connolly great.

Ave Maria 11-16-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 (Post 39503049)

Im assuming hes talking about Eric

Jabroni 11-16-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o (Post 39503073)
Im assuming hes talking about Eric

Okay then... agreed, but not this year. :shakehead

beastly115 11-16-2011 06:12 AM

But Richards played on the 3rd line last night and hasn't found chemistry with anyone! :sarcasm:

Crease 11-16-2011 06:21 AM

He's looked excellent lately. You just have confidence that he's going to thread the needle and find someone open whether it be on a rush or during the PP, which has looked fantastic also BTW.

Burlington Bomb 26 11-16-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaQUp (Post 39503197)
But Richards played on the 3rd line last night and hasn't found chemistry with anyone! :sarcasm:

I know youre being sarcastic, but Richards has found chemistry with everyone, thats just another amazing thing.

SupersonicMonkey* 11-16-2011 06:26 AM

Richards has always been under-valued.

This is a player that is nearly a point per game player at over 700 career regular season games.

He's a point per game playoff performer. Who won the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup.

This is a player that when his career ends, could be argued as a Hall of Fame caliber player.

Levitate 11-16-2011 06:27 AM

I'm kind of shocked that with how good his shot is, he's never broken 30 goals

I assume because he's pretty inaccurate over the course of the season, but damn he gets a lot on it without much windup. I love guys who look like they're taking a lazy slapshot but the puck just rockets off their stick

Zuccarello Awesome* 11-16-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 39503313)

I assume because he's pretty inaccurate over the course of the season, but damn he gets a lot on it without much windup. I love guys who look like they're taking a lazy slapshot but the puck just rockets off their stick

He really puts it where he wants it too. It's not the hardest shot in the league, but he's pretty accurate with it, IMO.

riz 11-16-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 39503313)

For some reason in the last few games when Richards has been taking slapshots, his windup kind of reminds me of Gretzky's style.

Zuccarello Awesome* 11-16-2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz (Post 39503371)
For some reason in the last few games when Richards has been taking slapshots, his windup kind of reminds me of Gretzky's style.

I also love his on-the-rush fake slapshot, go wide move. He scored on it with an attempted pass in our preseason game vs the devils.

BIitz 11-16-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyrvana (Post 39501381)

Centers:
Crosby
Stamkos
Datsyuk
Malkin
Getzlaf

Toews
Richards
Thornton
Kopitar
Spezza

Not trying to go OT or anything. But, you forgot Giroux, Kane, Kesler, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting.

Glad Brad is working for ye guys though.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-16-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIitz (Post 39503445)
Not trying to go OT or anything. But, you forgot Giroux, Kane, Kesler, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting.

Glad Brad is working for ye guys though.

Tavares

SupersonicMonkey* 11-16-2011 07:02 AM

Richards was 3rd among centers in points last year.

Ahead of Kesler, Backstrom, Tavares, Getzlaf, Thornton, Giroux, Kane...

He's been a top five scoring center several times in his career.

RangerBoy 11-16-2011 07:31 AM

4 of the 6 goals have been laser beams. The goal against Anaheim. His 2nd goal against Ottawa at home. The goal against Montreal to make it 4-2. GWG. The goal last night. Another GWG.

The Rangers are paying Richards $20M in one calendar year. $12M in signing bonus and salary. $10M signing bonus and $2M salary. Another $8M signing bonus next July.

Quote:

You think of Richie, and you think of a guy who gets the puck in open ice and makes amazing passes,” Dubinsky said. “He does that, too, but he has the same mindset that Cally and I have, to grind and be strong on the puck.

“He makes those great plays, but then he shoots the puck like this and he scores a huge goal like this when we needed it.

“You know what, he’s everything we thought we were getting, maybe even more
.”
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1dsHs3Fvp

Quote:

“That’s why we signed him for nine years,” Lundqvist said.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...2_wrapping_up/

You can make the argument its a 6 year contract with years 7-9 at $3M total.

Lowers the cap hit from $9.5M to $6.667M.

MSG the place to be* 11-16-2011 08:03 AM

You learn more about a player in 10 games playing for your team than 10 years playing for another team.

Why can't people understand this?

NYRKING30 11-16-2011 08:09 AM

the center position i think is the deepest position in the league. as it always should be imo.