HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Line Combos: When does Stralman play?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1031317)

Gardner McKay 11-16-2011 01:32 PM

When does Stralman play??
 
The team is on a 7 game winning streak. Regardless of the win streak I feel as if right now as a TEAM the Rangers have outstanding chemistry going which is the first time I can say that in a long time.

The pairing of Woywitka and Eminger is not ideal even as a third pairing but as of right now they are both playing very well. Eminger scored last night against the Isles and Woywitka scored a few games ago against the Habs.

Woywitka has a great break out pass, and Eminger has shown an interest in the last few games of jumping into the play as well.

So with that being said the question is, when does Stralman play. If the team continues to play this well and Stralman is ready does 1 of Eminger or Woywitka sit? Or... we all know how Torts has no problem changing things up and despite the great play by both the defense and the team does he throw Stralman in?

RangerBlue62 11-16-2011 01:34 PM

If it ain't broke...

frankthefrowner 11-16-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolskii (Post 39515127)
The team is on a 7 game winning streak. Regardless of the win streak I feel as if right now as a TEAM the Rangers have outstanding chemistry going which is the first time I can say that in a long time.

The pairing of Woywitka and Eminger is not ideal even as a third pairing but as of right now they are both playing very well. Eminger scored last night against the Isles and Woywitka scored a few games ago against the Habs.

Woywitka has a great break out pass, and Eminger has shown an interest in the last few games of jumping into the play as well.

So with that being said the question is, when does Stralman play. If the team continues to play this well and Stralman is ready does 1 of Eminger or Woywitka sit? Or... we all know how Torts has no problem changing things up and despite the great play by both the defense and the team does he throw Stralman in?

Its tough cause you dont wanna screw with whats working ya know. At the same time you gotta figure Stralman hasnt played an NHL game in a hwile and you want him to get acclimated with out wasting too much time...

broadwayblue 11-16-2011 01:42 PM

if you read between lines it is clear that Torts is not impressed with Stralman. He's gone on record saying Stralman doesn't have the conditioning or the system down yet.

Giglio NYR15 11-16-2011 01:43 PM

I don't see him playing, he's insurance, not a good one imo. Im sure he will but I wouldn't move woywitka out, I kind of like how he's been playing.

Mats Zuccarelli 11-16-2011 01:48 PM

I'd rather see him out there than Woywitka. Woy has been solid, but I've seen make some errors that could have been costly.

Gardner McKay 11-16-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthefrowner (Post 39515219)
Its tough cause you dont wanna screw with whats working ya know. At the same time you gotta figure Stralman hasnt played an NHL game in a hwile and you want him to get acclimated with out wasting too much time...

That is kind of what Im thinking. God forbid another defenseman went down and Stralman has had no time to get back the feel for playing an a game rather then just practice/scrimmage it would be a big problem.

But again, why mess with the chemistry.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way people will be saying Torts made the wrong decision.

nyr2k2 11-16-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Brichards (Post 39515641)
I'd rather see him out there than Woywitka. Woy has been solid, but I've seen make some errors that could have been costly.

Thing is though, Stralman is the lesser of the two defensively. He may provide a bit more offense from the back end, but he'll also make some, um, questionable decisions.

Mats Zuccarelli 11-16-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 39515781)
Thing is though, Stralman is the lesser of the two defensively. He may provide a bit more offense from the back end, but he'll also make some, um, questionable decisions.

Talk about a Quagmire (giggidy?), but I don't know, I'd like to see what we have in Stralman.

Cliffy1814 11-16-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 (Post 39515477)
I don't see him playing, he's insurance, not a good one imo. Im sure he will but I wouldn't move woywitka out, I kind of like how he's been playing.

I think he'll get in for a game or two after this streak stops. I too have not minded Woywitka, but they're still only giving him 10 minutes of ice time a night. I see no issue rotating those three in and out depending on situation. It's unlikely they will go the next 65 games without any injuries on D, so they'll need him to play at some point.

Gardner McKay 11-16-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 39515781)
Thing is though, Stralman is the lesser of the two defensively. He may provide a bit more offense from the back end, but he'll also make some, um, questionable decisions.

At the end of the day if the offense Stralman provides can't make up for his defensive mistakes... Then why did we sign him. Are we really expecting him to be able to come in and produce offensively after not playing for a while? And are also expecting him to be coherent defensively after not playing for a while?

In my opinion the answer is no. Even in the case of injury I still can't figure out why we signed him if the above answer to both questions is no. Will he really be that much better then a Hartford call up who has at least been playing regularly?

Ih8theislanders 11-16-2011 02:03 PM

I expect him to play for Woywitka the game after we lose.

nyr2k2 11-16-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolskii (Post 39516091)
At the end of the day if the offense Stralman provides can't make up for his defensive mistakes... Then why did we sign him. Are we really expecting him to be able to come in and produce offensively after not playing for a while? And are also expecting him to be coherent defensively after not playing for a while?

In my opinion the answer is no. Even in the case of injury I still can't figure out why we signed him if the above answer to both questions is no. Will he really be that much better then a Hartford call up who has at least been playing regularly?

Well, I don't know. Stralman, in theory, should provide a bit more offense and a bit less defense than Woywitka. Does Stralman's offensive "prowess" outweigh his defensive deficiency? I don't know, as we've yet to see him this year. I think he could provide a different look than Woywitka if nothing else.

Gardner McKay 11-16-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 (Post 39515977)
I think he'll get in for a game or two after this streak stops. I too have not minded Woywitka, but they're still only giving him 10 minutes of ice time a night. I see no issue rotating those three in and out depending on situation. It's unlikely they will go the next 65 games without any injuries on D, so they'll need him to play at some point.

Chemistry or lack thereof has plagued this team for quite some time. I can't say the Rangers have had solid chemistry since the 05-06 season when our top line was IMO the most dominant in the league.

Right now the team appears to have chemistry so why mess with it? And chemistry rarely just dissipates for no reason. Usually it is changing line combo's or rotating players which messes with chemistry.

Im just at a loss with the Stralman situation which I guess is a good things because at the moment if that is the biggest situation the Rangers have (outside of Staal of course) then things must be good!

WeWillWinTonight 11-16-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders (Post 39516175)
I expect him to play for Woywitka the game after we lose.

Unless woy pots a Hatty that game and we lose 4-3

Vitto79 11-16-2011 02:24 PM

same lineup until they lose again then Stralman in for Woywitka

the dude has to get a chance and he will but I hope its 4 weeks from now they lose the next game:laugh:

bluecollarblueshirt* 11-16-2011 02:37 PM

there going to get him in the game after the habs game and hope him and dz can run the points and put richie up with cally and step on the pp and see if it works IMO or he might see time on the second pp at the point one way or another i feel he was just brought in to help the pp

RGY 11-16-2011 02:48 PM

To the OP...have you ever seen Bull Durham? If not you should rent it some time. There's some great advice in it about winning streaks.

Crease 11-16-2011 02:49 PM

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Torts said Stralman needs to get in shape and catch up with the system before he will come down from the press box. That being said I wouldn't change the lineup until we lose another game.

Wraparounds 11-16-2011 02:51 PM

Ain't broke...

Brooklyn Ranger 11-16-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 39515441)
if you read between lines it is clear that Torts is not impressed with Stralman. He's gone on record saying Stralman doesn't have the conditioning or the system down yet.

And how many practices has Strålman participated in? One? Of course he's not in game shape and of course he hasn't learned the system yet. The comments are just Tortorella being himeself.

Strålman will get a chance to play--there is no way to know if he will work out better than Woywitka unless he put into game situations. And it's not like either Eminger or Woywitka are taking regular shifts out there. Last night both of them played around 4:30 in the first period, yet by the end of the game Eminger played 9:45 and Woywitka played 8:22. It's OK to play your 3rd pair like that for a game or two, but in the long run it is far from ideal--the other 4 defensemen are racking up too many many minutes too early in the season.

SwedishBullet62 11-16-2011 04:45 PM

still dont understand the signing, a dumb knee jerk reaction to our offensive woes i suppose. if he outplays someone in practice i dont see why he wouldnt get played but torts has said he doesnt have the system or conditioning yet so now rush.

Bardof425* 11-16-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthefrowner (Post 39515219)
Its tough cause you dont wanna screw with whats working ya know. At the same time you gotta figure Stralman hasnt played an NHL game in a hwile and you want him to get acclimated with out wasting too much time...

Dress 7 D and 11 forwards in one of the upcoming games. Less risk that way.

NYR Sting 11-16-2011 04:53 PM

Don't mess with anything right now, but the PP is still not exactly on fire. Stralman should help that. I imagine you'll see him get time as soon as the winning streak ends.

n8 11-16-2011 04:59 PM

when we start losing so bad Eminger or Woywitka are deemed to need to take a seat?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.