HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Eddy Palchak passed away (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1031939)

Halifaxhab* 11-17-2011 09:56 AM

Eddy Palchak passed away

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...f-eddy-palchak

When I was younger, I went to a ton of games at the old Forum, this man was the face at the end of the bench, and I remember when I was 7, I was seperated from my father in a crowd and was lost, when security took me to the safe area while looking for the ol drunk (or dad as I called him), Eddy actually came in chatted me up and got me a Bob Gainey autograph (he was and is my most favorite player all-time). Nice guy it's a shame.

Crimson Skorpion 11-17-2011 10:03 AM

Damn. R.I.P. Eddy.

A true gentleman and pure class act.

Gary320 11-17-2011 10:36 AM

Many stories I've heard from the "good old times" are from him, from newspaper articles by reporters or from his monthly piece on the Canadiens magazine. I can only imagine how many other stories he has. Apparently he was a great man with a big heart. Sad to see him go.

Bill McNeal 11-17-2011 10:45 AM

Very sad. A regular Joe who became a Habs legend in his own right.

habitue* 11-17-2011 10:46 AM

The guy should have a plaque or a banner somewhere at the Bell. He is a legend of his own.

Bye Eddy.

Gros Bill 11-17-2011 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Imagine 31 years. 1969 to 2000. Wow.

Crimson Skorpion 11-17-2011 11:16 AM

They definitely have to do something for him on Saturday.

roy munson 11-17-2011 11:30 AM

Oh no... This almost brings tears to my eyes.

Everyone keeps saying how much of a class act Jean Béliveau is (rightfully so), but so was Eddy. I started watching hockey and the Habs when I was about 5, in the mid 70s. For me he's as much a part of that team as any player. Around that time, my dad often got tickets to see some games at the old Forum and after everyone of them, we went to the door where the players came out to get autographs. I was as happy to get his as I was to get one from Lafleur, Tremblay, Shutt or Dryden.

The last time I saw him was during the celebration for the 100th, when he threw buckets of pucks on the ice before the alumni warmup (what a moment!). I couldn't believe how much he aged. I thought "not a problem, this is a guy that's gonna reach 100 years old". Saddly I was wrong.

RIP Eddy.

Snif....

Le Tricolore 11-17-2011 11:41 AM

It was awesome seeing him pour the pucks onto the ice for the Centennial Game vs Boston. This is pretty sad. I've heard nothing but amazing things about him.

Goodbye, Eddy.

Bloumeister 11-17-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy munson (Post 39552693)
Oh no... This almost brings tears to my eyes.

Everyone keeps saying how much of a class act Jean Béliveau is (rightfully so), but so was Eddy. I started watching hockey and the Habs when I was about 5, in the mid 70s. For me he's as much a part of that team as any player. Around that time, my dad often got tickets to see some games at the old Forum and after everyone of them, we went to the door where the players came out to get autographs. I was as happy to get his as I was to get one from Lafleur, Tremblay, Shutt or Dryden.

The last time I saw him was during the celebration for the 100th, when he threw buckets of pucks on the ice before the alumni warmup (what a moment!). I couldn't believe how much he aged. I thought "not a problem, this is a guy that's gonna reach 100 years old". Saddly I was wrong.

RIP Eddy.

Snif....

Pretty much my recollections of Eddy. I remember getting his autograph outside the Forum during the Canada Cup series. His presence at the Centennial game was a beautiful gesture.

Great piece written by Dave Stubbs when Palchak retired in 2000: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...f-eddy-palchak

Godspeed.

Aurel Joliat 11-17-2011 01:05 PM

RIP mr. Palchak

HomaridII 11-17-2011 01:22 PM

R.I.P Eddy

Only in Montreal can a guy like Eddy become a legend. We won't forget you Eddy. Rest in Peace.

Kid Dynomite 11-17-2011 03:46 PM

RIP Eddy.
Best wishes to his family, friends and colleagues.

Bob Cole 11-17-2011 03:49 PM

Sad news. RIP.

Win one for Eddy.

Born in 1909 11-17-2011 04:01 PM

R.I.P.

Sad news.

At least the man lived his dream job for so many decades.

Most men on Earth are not so lucky.

Schooner Guy 11-17-2011 04:33 PM

RIP Eddy.

A legendary trainer/equipment guy from a very special Habs era.

Galchenyuk27 11-17-2011 04:56 PM

I hope the legend of Mr. Palchak is not lost on the other younger Habs fans.

RIP Eddy

Whitesnake 11-17-2011 05:27 PM

Extremely sad moment for me. Just makes me go back to when my father died last December. Being a usher at the Forum like he was at the Bell Centre, he happened to know Mr. Palchak fairly well. I remember a story that I mentioned in here a few times. My father was amongst the few ushers who was doing some surveillance right after they closed the old Forum, so that people who would come in would do it for the work that needed to be done and all. Well, Mr. Palchak often visiting the Forum and had a lot of conversations with my Dad, from personal to players and coaches oriented, some things my father mentioned to me with the explicit order to not repeat it, which I never did and will never do it. But I also know he kept things for himself as well. Just nice conversations that 2 nice men had together. Well.....they will now have plenty of time to have all the conversations they didn't have time to have when they were with us.

RIP Mr. Palchak. You were great to watch, a reassuring figure that you know our players loved and would be well taken care of. Another figure of a incredible team and franchise.

Say hi to my Dad in the process. And have fun watching over us and the Habs.

justsomeguy 11-17-2011 05:34 PM

Sucks to be 54. This hits awful hard.

10 Stanley Cups -1 Standing Ovation. Was proud to in the crowd at the Centennial Game. Got misty then, needed tissues today.

loudi94 11-17-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 39552979)
It was awesome seeing him pour the pucks onto the ice for the Centennial Game vs Boston. This is pretty sad. I've heard nothing but amazing things about him.

Goodbye, Eddy.

Did a quick scan of the big centenial pic on my wall and he's not there!! Denis Brodeur is there, Eddy should have been in that pic.

Grant McCagg 11-17-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsomeguy (Post 39566953)
Sucks to be 54. This hits awful hard.

10 Stanley Cups -1 Standing Ovation. Was proud to in the crowd at the Centennial Game. Got misty then, needed tissues today.

If he joined the club in 1969, then he was part of either 8 or 9 Stanley Cups, not ten. Regardless - how many trainers in pro sports were part of 8 league championships? The trainer for the Celtics in the 50s and 60's would be the only one who would likely come close....just did some researching - Buddy Leroux was trainer of the Celtics from 1958 until 1967 - he would have won nine championships. It would be interesting to find out when Eddy joined the Habs..likely at the start of the 1969-70 season, which would mean he had his name on the Cup 8 times.

Imagine the stories he COULD have told over the years - he was there for the Richard-McNeil feud, the antics of Pointu and Peter Mahovlich, the partying of Guy, Larry, Chelly, Corson et al, the romancing of Schneider, the Roy fiasco....that's one fellow who I deeply regret never having interviewed. He will always be remembered, and will be missed.

HABsurde 11-17-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant McCagg (Post 39569031)
If he joined the club in 1969, then he was part of either 8 or 9 Stanley Cups, not ten. Regardless - how many trainers in pro sports were part of 8 league championships? The trainer for the Celtics in the 50s and 60's would be the only one who would likely come close....just did some researching - Buddy Leroux was trainer of the Celtics from 1958 until 1967 - he would have won nine championships. It would be interesting to find out when Eddy joined the Habs..likely at the start of the 1969-70 season, which would mean he had his name on the Cup 8 times.

Imagine the stories he COULD have told over the years - he was there for the Richard-McNeil feud, the antics of Pointu and Peter Mahovlich, the partying of Guy, Larry, Chelly, Corson et al, the romancing of Schneider, the Roy fiasco....that's one fellow who I deeply regret never having interviewed. He will always be remembered, and will be missed.

As for the Stanley cups, he was team head trainer for 31 years but started as assistant trainer in the 66-67 season hence the 10 Stanley cups

Optimus Price 11-17-2011 07:53 PM

RIP. Such an icon. Habs should honor him at the BC.

JackZap 11-17-2011 07:56 PM

RIP Eddy

TheHabMan43 11-17-2011 09:44 PM

This truly makes me sad. RIP Eddy, a true class act.