HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey Workouts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1032709)

Splitbtw 11-18-2011 02:47 AM

Hockey Workouts

I know there are a few threads out there regarding what workouts to do for hockey and what works.

From my experience, if you have the space and dedication, Insanity is the best hockey workout out there that doesnt involve weights. I made huge improvements in speed, agility and balance when I did it for a couple weeks (2 month program) when I had the space. Downloaded it for free as well.

However, if you don't have that luxury, but have access to a gym and an hour a couple times a week, I have tried some less rigid out that has worked wonders and takes about an hour.

Basically, run a mile on a treadmill, lift and run a mile on a treadmill. Increase speed when you can.

As far as the weights go, I tried targeted total body hockey exercises. Superset (a set of one and then another back to back and then rest a minute) two together and do 8 total. 12 reps for the first set, increase weight, 10 reps, increase weight, 8 reps.

Incline bench
Wood chop with the cables
Jump Squats with a bar (squat down, jump up, land in squat position with control)
Jump lunges (Lunge, jump up and land in the opposite position with control)
Not sure what it's called, but the inside and outside machines used mostly by girls. Where you sit down and push outward/inward. For hip flexors and groin.
Curls of some sort
Chin ups
Pull ups
Back press of some sort
Any tricep exercise
Any ab exercise that requires control (leg lifts, ball work, etc.)

I plan on trying others but so far picking 8 and supersetting has worked.

Add any others that would be good.

AngryBoss 11-18-2011 08:08 AM

My advice, pick a workout you'll actually stick to for more than a month.

Everyone always comes up with these crazy workouts that require 2-a-days, or 6-days a week.
They run a mountain backwards, then do jumping jacks on a high-wire. Or they wrestle a midget in hotsauce before doing pushups with a live snake in their pants.

Keep it simple. And make a routine you know you can stick too without getting discouraged, bored or overwhelmed.

I had a buddy that tried doing Insanity, P90X,...pretty much everything seen on TV.
He, like 99.9% of the rest of the population, quit after a couple of weeks.
I told him to pick 3 days and do 30-45 minutes; TOPS.
Stick to compound movements; squats, deadlifts, bench press, chinups, pullups, tricep dips, all the basics.
He had a stationary bike so I told him to end each workout with 5 minutes of HIIT or Tabata.

Guess what? He actually stuck to the program, got bigger, stronger, faster and cut weight.
With only 3 days on his schedule it was something he knew he could stick with. Eventually, he added a day or there with some jogging, sprints or something else.

I'm not saying you're like one of these people, but chances are, if you've never worked out, or only worked out a few times but then quit after a few weeks, then I'd suggest keeping it very simple.

Like I told my buddy, 'If you've never worked out, then just curling milk jugs twice a week will technically make you stronger".

When writing out a workout, really give an honest answer to yourself "Will I do this workout multiple times a week and for at least 3 months?".
If yes, go for it. If not, then make sure you pick something you know you can accomplish and will do for more than 3 or 4 weeks before quitting.

Splitbtw 11-18-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryBoss (Post 39604515)
My advice, pick a workout you'll actually stick to for more than a month.

Everyone always comes up with these crazy workouts that require 2-a-days, or 6-days a week.
They run a mountain backwards, then do jumping jacks on a high-wire. Or they wrestle a midget in hotsauce before doing pushups with a live snake in their pants.

Keep it simple. And make a routine you know you can stick too without getting discouraged, bored or overwhelmed.

I had a buddy that tried doing Insanity, P90X,...pretty much everything seen on TV.
He, like 99.9% of the rest of the population, quit after a couple of weeks.
I told him to pick 3 days and do 30-45 minutes; TOPS.
Stick to compound movements; squats, deadlifts, bench press, chinups, pullups, tricep dips, all the basics.
He had a stationary bike so I told him to end each workout with 5 minutes of HIIT or Tabata.

Guess what? He actually stuck to the program, got bigger, stronger, faster and cut weight.
With only 3 days on his schedule it was something he knew he could stick with. Eventually, he added a day or there with some jogging, sprints or something else.

I'm not saying you're like one of these people, but chances are, if you've never worked out, or only worked out a few times but then quit after a few weeks, then I'd suggest keeping it very simple.

Like I told my buddy, 'If you've never worked out, then just curling milk jugs twice a week will technically make you stronger".

When writing out a workout, really give an honest answer to yourself "Will I do this workout multiple times a week and for at least 3 months?".
If yes, go for it. If not, then make sure you pick something you know you can accomplish and will do for more than 3 or 4 weeks before quitting.

I completely agree with everything here. I'm not looking for motivation or help in that department. I simply wanted to share what's been working well for me.

BIitz 11-20-2011 04:35 AM

Stairs are great for leg strength, because you don't need anything. Hop up on one leg and run down 3 times, then the other leg. Then use both and go up two stairs at a time.

Another thing with leg strength is jumping over a line for 30 seconds with one leg.

You can also use a half medicine ball and use like a 2 foot shuffle back and forth. Hard to explain it.

sharks fan 209 11-21-2011 06:19 PM

anymore suggestions? How about some core work outs to help shot power? i was thinking of getting the ballon resistant running thing. Dont know the exact name.

SeenSchenn2 11-24-2011 12:31 AM

I'm not really educated in working out... so can anyone recommend something that'll obviously get me stronger, but help me gain (or stay the same weight)...? I'm looking to improve on speed/strength with te puck mainly. Not looking to cutdown at all.

Is there anything specific or should I just stick to eating tons, and post-workout shakes?

Edit: The highest I played when I was younger (I'm still only 20, just play beer-league now) was Single A, so nothing intense... but I was pushed off the puck very easily.

Maybe a weight-gainer? I'm not that tall either.