HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Former Ranger and SC Champ Kovalev: NHL is boring (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1033195)

fredrikstad 11-18-2011 05:41 PM

Former Ranger and SC Champ Kovalev: NHL is boring
 
Here you have a intervju with former Rangerplayer and Stanley Cup winner A.Kovalev
He sais that NHL has changed and becomed boring.
Its from Sweedish tv, but al the talk with Kovalev is in english.
http://svtplay.se/v/2599660/kovalev_...akigare_an_khl

Kane One 11-18-2011 05:42 PM

Lol.

gotmonte 11-18-2011 05:46 PM

More like his play had changed and HE became boring. :handclap:

I Am Chariot 11-18-2011 05:50 PM

It was all a downhill bore after Keenan gave him the Endless Shift.

Beacon 11-18-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numinous (Post 39623869)
It was all a downhill bore after Keenan gave him the Endless Shift.


That 6 minute shift... he thought Keenan was rewarding him, not teaching him a lesson. Totally backfired.

He kept on taking 2 minute shifts on a regular basis like he did before this Keenan incident. It took him years to figure out that NHLers don't do 2 minute shifts every time they go on the ice.

HockeyBurd* 11-18-2011 06:38 PM

He's not completely wrong.

n8 11-18-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBurd (Post 39625337)
He's not completely wrong.

He's not completely right. Sounds like back checking and good defensive positioning are boring to him. I'm also sure he meant "boring compared to the KHL" and not the NHL is boring as the thread title would suggest.

chip chipperson* 11-18-2011 07:02 PM

who cares.

chosen 11-18-2011 07:11 PM

It is boring compared to when Kovalev entered the league. It has become a league that focuses less on great and creative players than defensive systems.

PromNite 11-18-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBurd (Post 39625337)
He's not completely wrong.

I think he is. It's a player who can't hack it in the NHL anymore complaining about it.

You don't see Jagr complaining about the NHL being boring, you see him tearing it up on the first line of a competitive NHL team.

Killem Dafoe 11-18-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PromNite (Post 39626441)
I think he is. It's a player who can't hack it in the NHL anymore complaining about it.

You don't see Jagr complaining about the NHL being boring, you see him tearing it up on the first line of a competitive NHL team.

Because Jagr is the man :nod:

Beacon 11-18-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 39626439)
It is boring compared to when Kovalev entered the league. It has become a league that focuses less on great and creative players than defensive systems.


It hasn't been that since the Debbies ruined creativity beginning in 1995. Their success was bad for the league.

DonCherrysSuit 11-18-2011 07:27 PM

ITT: An aging Alexi Kovalev blames his declining play on the "New NHL".

I'm sure Kovy went to Russia because they have a better, more exciting product over there.

Beacon 11-18-2011 07:32 PM

I remember when Steve Larmer retired in 1995, he mentioned that hockey got boring and wasn't fun anymore.

Over the years, I always wondered how the 1995-96 season would have went had he stayed. The one thing we were missing that year (where we spent weeks on end during the winter leading the league in points) was two-way veteran presence on the second or third line.

That's why we gave up so much to get Kurri, who was washed up by then.

If Larmer stayed, I really think there's a good chance we'd have won the Cup that year, especially if Robitaille didn't have his two worst seasons in Ranger uniform, but even with Robitaille struggling, I still say we could have won it all with Larmer still in the lineup.


Graves - Messier - Verbeek
Robitaille - Ferraro - Kovalev
Sundstrom - Nemchinov - Larmer
Langdon - Lapperiere - Kocus
____________________________
Presley, Kypreos

That's a hell of a lineup, definitely good enough to win the Cup.

Radek27 11-18-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubinstache (Post 39626965)
ITT: An aging Alexi Kovalev blames his declining play on the "New NHL".

I'm sure Kovy went to Russia because they have a better, more exciting product over there.

You obviously didn't listen to the interview before posting. He was asked if he feels more russian players will play in the KHL compared to the NHL.

PromNite 11-18-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27 (Post 39627895)
You obviously didn't listen to the interview before posting. He was asked if he feels more russian players will play in the KHL compared to the NHL.

I'm sure that Russian superstars will be clamoring for the KHL after the almighty Alexei Kovalev stated that the NHL is boring.

side note: I know you didn't state that, just projecting what people might say

PromNite 11-18-2011 08:33 PM

I.e. let's see where Yakupov and Grigorenko end up. I'll bet dollars to donuts that it ain't in the KHL.

Brooklyn Ranger 11-18-2011 08:43 PM

Haven't listened to the interview, but do agree that the NHL is much more boring than before the latest round of expansion started (with San Jose). It's all a chess match now, with defensive systems and players grinding it out. Plus, given the increase in the size of the players, the ice surface seems smaller every year. And with expansion, there are a lot more players with less talent playing more minutes.

All and all, parity sucks.

ncmike 11-18-2011 08:44 PM

I agree with Kovalev. Bettman has wussified the game. from the hooking calls when the hand is just tapped to the instigator penalty. Lucic took liberties on Miller last week because he knew no one was going to jump him. this is one of the reasons why there are more head injuries because players dont care because they know they wont pay a price.take away the instigator penalty and let the players police themselves and you will see alot less cheap shots.

Brooklyn Ranger 11-18-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncmike (Post 39629683)
I agree with Kovalev. Bettman has wussified the game. from the hooking calls when the hand is just tapped to the instigator penalty. Lucic took liberties on Miller last week because he knew no one was going to jump him. this is one of the reasons why there are more head injuries because players dont care because they know they wont pay a price.take away the instigator penalty and let the players police themselves and you will see alot less cheap shots.

I'm pretty sure the instigator penalty was enacted before Bettman. And in any case, Bettman is just the mouth piece for the owners (and their Presidents/GMs)--he's just following what his masters tell him.

StaalWars 11-18-2011 09:15 PM

I don't know what he means by boring. Does he mean there's not enough scoring? Not enough hitting? Not enough bad blood or rivalries between the teams?

I'll tell you though, there are a couple of factors that certainly aren't helping the "entertainment" factor.

1. Crosby being out indefinitely and Malkin being in and out of the lineup with injuries. Those are two top 5 scorers we're missing out on.
2. Ovechkin not being the dominant and electrifying player he was the first couple of seasons.

GAGLine 11-18-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PromNite (Post 39629271)
I.e. let's see where Yakupov and Grigorenko end up. I'll bet dollars to donuts that it ain't in the KHL.

Yeah, that's got to piss them off that their best young players are coming over to the CHL.

Jabroni 11-18-2011 10:02 PM

Anyone want to explain the endless shift to me?

KingWantsCup 11-18-2011 10:04 PM

I flat out do not understand why he would say that. Literally clueless.

BlueshirtBlitz 11-18-2011 10:38 PM

Maybe that explains why he always decided to show up only half of the time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.