HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Proposal: Flyers-Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1035077)

WeekendAtBernies 11-21-2011 12:32 AM

Flyers-Islanders

Hey guys, Flyers fan here in peace.

I've noticed that the rotation isn't exactly working out perfectly for you and you guys could probably use a young #1 goalie to take the starting job.

I noticed several regular posters on your boards were also clamoring for a physical top-9 winger.

We (the Flyers) could actually use a backup goalie like Montoya who can come in cold after not playing for a while and still put up a consistent performance. Sergei Bobrovsky is a tremendous talent, but he needs to be getting consistent playing time to develop and he's not going to get that here in Philly... and he really isn't suited to spot-start duty. I think the Islanders would be a perfect landing spot for him.

So what would you guys think about something like:

To Islanders:
Sergei Bobrovsky
Wayne Simmonds
Kings 2012 2nd
Kevin Marshall

To Flyers:
Al Montoya
Islanders 2012 1st
Scott Mayfield

Thanks in advance for your responses!

startainfection 11-21-2011 12:35 AM

no thanks

leaponover 11-21-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandlansd (Post 39735205)

I've noticed that the rotation isn't exactly working out perfectly for you and you guys could probably use a young #1 goalie to take the starting job.

I noticed several regular posters on your boards were also clamoring for a physical top-9 winger.

We (the Flyers) could actually use a backup goalie like Montoya who can come in cold after not playing for a while and still put up a consistent performance. Sergei Bobrovsky is a tremendous talent, but he needs to be getting consistent playing time to develop and he's not going to get that here in Philly... and he really isn't suited to spot-start duty. I think the Islanders would be a perfect landing spot for him.

To Islanders:
Sergei Bobrovsky
Wayne Simmonds
Kings 2012 2nd
Kevin Marshall

To Flyers:
Al Montoya
Islanders 2012 1st
Scott Mayfield

I don't think we would do this because we have young talent in Bridgeport for goaltending and with DP we really have to have two goalies on stand by until he gets at least 1 injury free season under his belt.

As far as Mayfield I think management is real high on him but I don't mind giving him up.

The thing that absolutely breaks this is a first round pick. That is not going ANYWHERE, especially with the team struggling. This draft is supposed to be chock full of talent so there is no way Snow trades it unless it is for a top notch veteran helper.

WeekendAtBernies 11-21-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaponover (Post 39735301)
I don't think we would do this because we have young talent in Bridgeport for goaltending and with DP we really have to have two goalies on stand by until he gets at least 1 injury free season under his belt.

As far as Mayfield I think management is real high on him but I don't mind giving him up.

The thing that absolutely breaks this is a first round pick. That is not going ANYWHERE, especially with the team struggling. This draft is supposed to be chock full of talent so there is no way Snow trades it unless it is for a top notch veteran helper.

I know you guys have talent in Bridgeport, but last I heard they were struggling and not progressing as some might have hoped. W/ Bob, you get a young #1 goalie that has the potential to be elite and you get that right now to build around.

As far as not giving up the 1st, I don't know if there's any way around that. Bob + Simmonds carry way more value right now than Montoya + Mayfield. I think when you add in the 2nd I'm offering, it's more than fair to ask for a 1st back in return.

With a #1 goalie devoid of any injury history, a top 9 forward w/ grit like Simmonds who can play the PP, etc. I could definitely see you guys turning it around. As is, I think you guys are vastly under-performing your talent level.

If you honestly think you're a lottery team this year, it's probably a no. But if you think you're better than that, I think you'd have to consider it.

leaponover 11-21-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandlansd (Post 39735409)
I know you guys have talent in Bridgeport, but last I heard they were struggling and not progressing as some might have hoped. W/ Bob, you get a young #1 goalie that has the potential to be elite and you get that right now to build around.

As far as not giving up the 1st, I don't know if there's any way around that. Bob + Simmonds carry way more value right now than Montoya + Mayfield. I think when you add in the 2nd I'm offering, it's more than fair to ask for a 1st back in return.

With a #1 goalie devoid of any injury history, a top 9 forward w/ grit like Simmonds who can play the PP, etc. I could definitely see you guys turning it around. As is, I think you guys are vastly under-performing your talent level.

If you honestly think you're a lottery team this year, it's probably a no. But if you think you're better than that, I think you'd have to consider it.

Yeah, i'm not saying the trade doesn't hold water, all i'm saying is that there is no way we give up a first round draft pick.

Poulin is struggling but Nilsson has been playing great in Bridgeport. Koskinen just finally got shipped to a place where he will get playing time. So really they aren't struggling.

We definitely need a player like Simmonds, but like I said there is no way we are shipping out our first for another goalie and Simmonds.

The trade is fair, it just isn't going to happen.

leaponover 11-21-2011 01:07 AM

I'd also like to add that I do think we are a lottery pick this year. We aren't very good and don't have much there to get better this season.

Moosie 11-21-2011 06:13 AM

Bob would wither and die here.

Richie Daggers Crime 11-21-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaponover (Post 39735677)
I'd also like to add that I do think we are a lottery pick this year.

That's the whole point of this "proposal": To get a lottery pick in the imaginary world. Oh, wait... it's to get a backup goalie for the Flyers in the imaginary world. Right. Silly me.

the isle revival 11-21-2011 08:51 AM

Fair trade if the Islanders are competing this year. LOVE Bobrovsky as well. Situationally, though, it looks like that first round pick might be too valuable of an asset the way this team is playing.

WeekendAtBernies 11-21-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime (Post 39739317)
That's the whole point of this "proposal": To get a lottery pick in the imaginary world. Oh, wait... it's to get a backup goalie for the Flyers in the imaginary world. Right. Silly me.

It's like several trades made in the real world. Teams like the Isles w/ talent that are struggling are often willing to gamble that they won't be a lottery team and make a trade (see the Kessel trade). Obviously, the Flyers would be hoping for a lottery pick... heck, we'd be hoping for the #1 pick lol... but the value is definitely there @ the 17 game mark for the Isles. There's plenty of time left in the season to make it to the playoffs.

And it's definitely a risk for the Flyers too. Giving up a solid young 3rd line RW w/ 2nd line potential + a young #1 goalie + a 2nd round pick for Montoya, a mid prospect, and a mid 1st wouldn't exactly be tremendous value for the Flyers considering Simmonds alone is likely worth a mid-late 1st and so is Bob.

So like I said, I can understand if you don't like the proposal. If you feel you are a lottery team this year (Top 10 pick), you probably hate this deal. If you feel like you have a shot @ the playoffs this year, you probably like this deal and would consider it. It's all about your POV.

I thought it was also a bit more interesting than most trades proposed around here since it requires you to make a judgement about your team before considering the value.

Chapin Landvogt 11-21-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

To Islanders:
Sergei Bobrovsky
Wayne Simmonds
Kings 2012 2nd
Kevin Marshall

To Flyers:
Al Montoya
Islanders 2012 1st
Scott Mayfield

At a time where we're looking like one of the worst teams in the NHL and no relief in site, this trade wouldn't answer ANY of our concerns.

In addition, there's no way we're dishing off the upcoming first rounder (likely top 5 pick) for anything short of a Jeff Carter style impact player, if even that.

On top of it all, with six goalies in the organization, we're not swapping one for another unless it's Dipietro you want. That is mundane and counterproductive. We desperately need to pawn one off for a warm body that can help now, even if it's an overpaid veteran winger who could help Tavares or a younger, blooming defenseman who can play in the NHL now, even if a bottom 3 guy for the next season or two.

Chardo 11-21-2011 10:18 AM

Isles should only trade that first pick for an all-star caliber impact player. That pick will land a future impact player, so it would only make sense to trade it for a current one. I would not be opposed to trading the pick for a still-young top line forward or defenseman who is signed (or will sign) long term.

Richie Daggers Crime 11-21-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandlansd (Post 39741893)
And it's definitely a risk for the Flyers too

It's dumb for the Flyers. They're one of the best teams in the league. They have no reason to make such a drastic change to acquire a backup goalie. But, like I said, that's not the reason you're making this proposal.

Quote:

It's all about your POV.
Your POV is that you want an imaginary lottery pick. That's what I'm saying.

Isles Junkie 11-21-2011 11:25 AM

all due respect to bobrovsky, but i don't view him as any better then what I think Poulin & Nilsson can become. so I see no reason to give up a 1st round pick for him & some spare parts when i feel our own prospects being as good. It would be one thing if the Isles were contending. But they're likely going to have to wait at least another year anyway, so they can afford the development time for the eurogoalies.

Belarus 11-21-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

To Islanders:
Sergei Bobrovsky
Wayne Simmonds
Kings 2012 2nd
Kevin Marshall

To Flyers:
Al Montoya
Islanders 2012 1st
Scott Mayfield

I think big and fat LOL

Brunomics 11-21-2011 12:17 PM

I'd be interested in Wayne Simmonds but that's about it.

leeroggy 11-21-2011 12:31 PM

If we are even considering trading our first pick it will likely be to LA since they have so many NHL-ready defensemen in their system. Simmonds is a nice player but not all that different from a player like Okposo.

I'd rather target Bernier and Voynov and LA's first, giving back our first, Nabakov and Bailey. LA's pick is going to be very late in all likelihood but at least we can draft another d-man with it.

I said IF!! Don't flame me as if this is an actual proposal!

StrongIslanders90 11-21-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunomics (Post 39746475)

This

_illicit_ 11-21-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Yep, exactly the type of player the Isles need to make a trade or two for. Simmonds, Troy Brouwer, Bryan Bickell, etc...

While we're at it, lets grab Matt Greene from LA.

mygameworn 11-21-2011 11:24 PM

The Islanders are NOT giving up their 1st pick in this years draft. End of discussion!

DaMick 11-21-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Same here..

ive watched Poulin on the BST and id honestly say

Poulin > Bob.

Poulin i think has a higher ceiling and can win games on his own....

Bob...im not so sure about him.

MJP 11-21-2011 11:38 PM

Ill take Nail instead

drive45 11-22-2011 02:19 AM

Nail

Quote:

Originally Posted by mygameworn (Post 39787151)
The Islanders are NOT giving up their 1st pick in this years draft. End of discussion!

This. NYI will almost certainly have a top 5 pick (again), possibly 1st overall, and they're not giving it up.

Hershey Hockey 11-22-2011 02:25 AM

We'll be hanging on to that first round pick. From what I hear the young gun projected to go first overall this year is going to be quite the catch.

Aucoin3 11-22-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

To Islanders:
Sergei Bobrovsky
Wayne Simmonds
Kings 2012 2nd
Kevin Marshall

To Flyers:
Al Montoya
Islanders 2012 1st
Scott Mayfield

Just to be clear the Isles are trading backup goalies, and giving up a top 5 pick for Wayne Simmonds?

I'm a big Simmonds fan but lets be serious.