HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Injury Report: James Reimer (Part II) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1036137)

Jeffler 11-22-2011 11:21 AM

James Reimer (Part II)

Last thread 1k'd, continue on

Mansfield 11-22-2011 11:24 AM

hopefully he's back soon

LeafsGuru93 11-22-2011 11:28 AM

I heard on The Fan 2 days ago, he's a week away.

4evaBlue 11-22-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrgtml67 (Post 39792105)
He may not be crosby but we are a way different team without him. The entire team plays different when he is in net.

Yes, yes, that's the same BS I've been hearing for months. Coincidentally, the Leafs had played 4 of their best games of the season without Reimer in net (Rags, Yotes, Preds, Caps), while with him they only managed to squeek out victories against some pretty poor teams to start the season.

Quote:

All goalies let in the odd weak goal. It is the timely saves night in and night out that is the difference. He played well when called upon last year and no one can deny that, and he started off on the same route this year, even the 1st period against Montreal when he got hurt he was playing well, he made several ten beller saves even after getting hit in th head.

Unlike our other goalies, Reimer has mostly played in front of a very healthy team last season. He's yet to face adversity of any kind, and that will be the true test in my eyes.

Also, had our season schedule started with, say, our last 5 games (Sens, Yotes, Preds, Caps, Canes), chances are, with the way the team played for that stretch, we wouldn't have gotten off to a 4-0-1 start, no matter who's in net.

Quote:

He may not be a super-star yet, but he is the clear number 1.

Well, that's not exactly saying much at this point. Certainly not enough for him to be as hyped up as he is.

Quote:

I feel sorry for Gionta, he his going to get smoked next game, and if it is a fight he is dead meat either way, itll be brownie feeding him (all newbury) or rosey rag dolling him.

Maybe if an enraged fan gets on the ice. I seriously doubt there's be much of a retribution by the team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 39795577)
I don't get the Reimer denyers, really. I mean sure he's unproven, but the Leafs were a .500 team before he came, were an elite team with him in net, and have been a .500 team again immediately after he gets injured.

It's not rocket science, he's just significantly better than our other options.

If it's not rocket science, I don't see how you can't figure it out. You even mentioned the key word. He's unproven, yet, he's hailed like the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 39787005)
Please. He's not overrated by the fanbase. Every goalie has faults, it's the attitude and the way he handles himself out there that makes him stand out from the rest of our goalies.

What exactly has he done to say he's overrated? In 5 games he hasn't lost in regulation, has a .920SV since entering the league and is still YOUNG.

People around here just have a new flavor every month. Kulemin 16 games ago was a great player, now he's garbage and expendable..

Flavor of the month, indeed.

From the "Top 5 key players for the team going forward" thread, after a quick count, 57 out of 73 people had Reimer on their top 5 list (most had him listed as #3 after Kessel and Phaneuf). Assuming those numbers are proportional to Leafs Nation in general (not a far fetched assumption), that's 78% of the fanbase. 78%?!?

There were about 30 goalies who played at least 10 games last season, and recorded better SV%, GAA, or both than Reimer did. If we were to ask their teams if those goalies would be considered top 5 key piece of the team going forward, I bet only around half of them would get more than a 5% of the "votes". Emery? Poulin? Varlamov? Schneider? Holtby? Montoya? Vokoun? Lehtonen? Bobrovsky? Karlsson? MacDonald? Hedberg? Not even close.

But we don't even have to check another thread. When was the last time a month long injury resulted in a 1k+ post thread mostly consisting of whining about how much the team needs a certain average player (from what he's shown so far)?

Yes, I'd definately call that overrated.

Tapcondition 11-22-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsGuru (Post 39797055)
I heard on The Fan 2 days ago, he's a week away.

Repeat as necessary.

Captain Clutch 13 11-22-2011 11:55 AM

I heard on Twitter that he practiced for an hour today, his longest yet and they're going to increase the intensity of his workouts every time as long as he's symptom free. Hopefully he'll be back in a week or two.

Hurt 11-22-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Clutch 13 (Post 39798059)
I heard on Twitter that he practiced for an hour today, his longest yet and they're going to increase the intensity of his workouts every time as long as he's symptom free. Hopefully he'll be back in a week or two.

I think that would make 4 or 5 days of being on the ice in a row? I'm excited for his coming back although he may be a bit rusty and December is very important.

pacdunes 11-22-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evaBlue (Post 39797449)
Yes, yes, that's the same BS I've been hearing for months. Coincidentally, the Leafs had played 4 of their best games of the season without Reimer in net (Rags, Yotes, Preds, Caps), while with him they only managed to squeek out victories against some pretty poor teams to start the season.

Unlike our other goalies, Reimer has mostly played in front of a very healthy team last season. He's yet to face adversity of any kind, and that will be the true test in my eyes.

Also, had our season schedule started with, say, our last 5 games (Sens, Yotes, Preds, Caps, Canes), chances are, with the way the team played for that stretch, we wouldn't have gotten off to a 4-0-1 start, no matter who's in net.

Well, that's not exactly saying much at this point. Certainly not enough for him to be as hyped up as he is.

Maybe if an enraged fan gets on the ice. I seriously doubt there's be much of a retribution by the team.

If it's not rocket science, I don't see how you can't figure it out. You even mentioned the key word. He's unproven, yet, he's hailed like the 2nd coming of Jesus.

From the "Top 5 key players for the team going forward" thread, after a quick count, 57 out of 73 people had Reimer on their top 5 list (most had him listed as #3 after Kessel and Phaneuf). Assuming those numbers are proportional to Leafs Nation in general (not a far fetched assumption), that's 78% of the fanbase. 78%?!?

There were about 30 goalies who played at least 10 games last season, and recorded better SV%, GAA, or both than Reimer did. If we were to ask their teams if those goalies would be considered top 5 key piece of the team going forward, I bet only around half of them would get more than a 5% of the "votes". Emery? Poulin? Varlamov? Schneider? Holtby? Montoya? Vokoun? Lehtonen? Bobrovsky? Karlsson? MacDonald? Hedberg? Not even close.

But we don't even have to check another thread. When was the last time a month long injury resulted in a 1k+ post thread mostly consisting of whining about how much the team needs a certain average player (from what he's shown so far)?

Hmmm.....I'm guessing you're not a Reimer fan

Duke Silver 11-22-2011 12:10 PM

You don't get out much, do you 4eva? You really counted up 73 replies? Wow.

You talk about how Reimer hasn't faced any adversity because he's played behind a relatively healthy team, yet all of our goalies have played behind the exact same defensive corps this season, with the exception of switching in and out Franson with (Schenn/Komisarek) every few games. They're getting the exact same amount of help, yet Reimer's stats this year and last are significantly better than our other goalies. Wonder why that is?

The fact of the matter is Reimer has routinely and consistently kept us in every game he's played in. Not very often do you see a deflating weak goal scored on him, which allows the team to relax and focus more on their offensive games. You need to look no further back than the Florida game with Gustavsson in net to realize that one of our goalies (Reimer) is a gamebreaker and the other (Gustvasson) is a heartbreaker. Gus is inconsistent at best, with the odd brilliant performance followed by absolute mediocrity. You cannot rely on a goaltender like that.

Nice cherry picking on your stats, by the way. Ten games played is hardly a large enough sample for you to evaluate a goaltender. Why don't you try goalies who played at least 35 games and come back to me? In fact, I'll save you the time and do a quick 30-second look on Hockey-Reference: Click.

Among goaltenders playing more than 35 games, Reimer was 10th in save percentage and 21st in GAA.

You're trying way too hard to prove he's overrated. Nobody's claiming he's a top-10 goaltender in the league, but he most certainly is a #1G in this league, and by far our best option between the pipes.

TML g u n n e R s* 11-22-2011 12:13 PM

on ice for a hour love it <3

Penalty Kill Icing* 11-22-2011 12:19 PM

sportsnetbroph Mike Brophy
James Reimer on ice with Leafs and looking rather good.

**** yes!!! :yo:

Watch out Bruins, your nemesis is here :yo:

Ari91 11-22-2011 12:30 PM

Awesome to hear that he's now practicing with the team!!

gabeliscious 11-22-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 (Post 39798961)
sportsnetbroph Mike Brophy
James Reimer on ice with Leafs and looking rather good.

**** yes!!! :yo:

Watch out Bruins, your nemesis is here :yo:

best news i heard all day. thank you for posting that.

gus and scrivens are doing what they can but reims has a certain demeanor which gives the whole team confidence. we need him back, its as simple as that.

egd27 11-22-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacdunes (Post 39798409)
Hmmm.....I'm guessing you're not a Reimer fan

His post is not about being a fan of Reimer or not. It's about how some (not all) fans have anointed a relatively unproven goalie as the savior of the franchise.

I am a big Reimer fan, but I'm not convinced the record would be that much different if he had not been hurt. (Maybe one more win)

Ari91 11-22-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Why did you choose 10 games as your minimal sample size? Is it not common sense that the more games you play, the higher the likelihood of you losing more games, letting in more goals? Carey Price had a save percentage just .2% higher than Reimer but he played 72 games compared to Reimer's 37 games so I guess by the way you like to use stats, Reimer is pretty comparable to Carey freakin' Price! Jonathan Quick had a save percentage lower than Reimer's as well but played 61 games. No go ask a Habs fan if their NUMBER ONE GOALIE is part of their core moving forward. Go ask the same to a Kings fan if they see Quick in their future plans. Go ask Nashville if Rinne is in their plans. No surprise Sherlock, if you ask fans if they see their BACK-UP goalie in their future plans, most would say no as back-ups are considered replaceable. If you ask fans if their young, number one goalie who has been helping the team win is part of their future plans, they would probably say yes. Give your head a shake that you attempt to make a point by comparing the way the Leafs fans would view the importance of their number one goalie versus how any other fanbase would look at the importance of their back-up!

shakes 11-22-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

What you are saying is not logical. The team was bad before he took over last year, then they were good with him in net. They started off a new season with new players and they win games, then he is injured and they struggle without him. No one said he is the second coming of Patrick Roy, but you are completely discounting his successes so that you can have an argument.

BonMorrison 11-22-2011 12:52 PM

Reimer will return at the beginning of January and record a 5 - 1 win against the Senators and help the Leafs plow through the remaining months with a hot second line and aspirations of playoffs not far away. :sarcasm:

ACC1224 11-22-2011 12:53 PM

Reimer only looks like a Saviour because the Goaltending has been so poor since Belfour retired.

shakes 11-22-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egd27 (Post 39800017)
His post is not about being a fan of Reimer or not. It's about how some (not all) fans have anointed a relatively unproven goalie as the savior of the franchise.

I am a big Reimer fan, but I'm not convinced the record would be that much different if he had not been hurt. (Maybe one more win)

So you are saying you don't think that a goalie with a higher save percentage might save more goals? You can't just insert Reimer in net for any of the games he has missed and assume that the outcome would be the same. The team DOES play better in front of him in most games. I think the complexion of the games would be entirely different. Less bad pinches, less trying too hard to score, better rebound control by the goalie and with a team that has been winning by outscoring their opponents, Reimer probably does win some of the games they've lost.

egd27 11-22-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakes (Post 39800475)
So you are saying you don't think that a goalie with a higher save percentage might save more goals? You can't just insert Reimer in net for any of the games he has missed and assume that the outcome would be the same. The team DOES play better in front of him in most games. I think the complexion of the games would be entirely different. Less bad pinches, less trying too hard to score, better rebound control by the goalie and with a team that has been winning by outscoring their opponents, Reimer probably does win some of the games they've lost.

Yes, the outcome of the Florida game and maybe the 2nd Ottawa game may have been different. But, IMO there would have been one more win had Reimer not been injured.

pacdunes 11-22-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egd27 (Post 39800017)

If you are a fan, then you can agree that Reimer gives the team the best chance at winning. How that nets out to " maybe one more win" in your and Eva's mind is the puzzling thing.

Captain Clutch 13 11-22-2011 01:32 PM

Reimers return will be a bigger event than Crosbys. :sarcasm:

Penalty Kill Icing* 11-22-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Clutch 13 (Post 39801817)
Reimers return will be a bigger event than Crosbys. :sarcasm:

3G, 3A and a shutout.

egd27 11-22-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacdunes (Post 39801709)
If you are a fan, then you can agree that Reimer gives the team the best chance at winning. How that nets out to " maybe one more win" in your and Eva's mind is the puzzling thing.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Reimer does give the team the best chance at winning. However, not all chances are converted.

As much as everyone likes to point to the horrible PK and the odd man rushes, IMO, most of the Leafs losses this year are more attributable to the lack of secondary scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines. Now if you want to tell me that having Reimer in net is going to get Kulemin, Fratten, Lomabardi, and Bozak scoring more goals, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

ACC1224 11-22-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egd27 (Post 39802327)
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Reimer does give the team the best chance at winning. However, not all chances are converted.

As much as everyone likes to point to the horrible PK and the odd man rushes, IMO, most of the Leafs losses this year are more attributable to the lack of secondary scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines. Now if you want to tell me that having Reimer in net is going to get Kulemin, Fratten, Lomabardi, and Bozak scoring more goals, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

Not neccessarily those Players but it is easier to play with the lead or tied than it is when trailing. Particularly when you're down because of a softy.