HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Injury Report: Matt Carkner (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1036229)

trashmouth12 11-22-2011 11:50 AM

Matt Carkner

Quote:

Matt Carkner (knee) is going full out in prac. He feels he's getting close. Being cautious, but feels he could play @ any time.
@Steve_Lloyd
Link

This could mean some moves and readjusting for the back end. Send Rundblad down? Trade Lee/Kuba?

Afro Thunder* 11-22-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Carkner asked about Crosby setting the bar high for comebacks. Says no prob., "I got 2 & 2 in me, 2 hits & 2 turnovers." #Sens
lulz.

saskriders 11-22-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashmouth12 (Post 39800233)
Link

This could mean some moves and readjusting for the back end. Send Rundblad down? Trade Lee/Kuba?

Maybe we should play with 3 lines, and 4 defense pairings :sarcasm:

OmniSens 11-22-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afro Thunder (Post 39800483)
lulz.

hahaha, that's gold! He'll top him off by adding 2 fights

The Expert 11-22-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afro Thunder (Post 39800483)
lulz.

:laugh:

Great news. :yo:

Tundraman 11-22-2011 01:54 PM

There really isn't any rush for a trade unless it suits Bryan's expressed desire for a forward.

They could stand pat with 8 D but it would be hard to sit out 2 D each game and not very good for Rundblad's development if he sits out too much. They could rotate Lee and Rundblad depending on the opponent and try Carks on the 4th line to give them all game play but the only guy he could likely push out is Konopka who has looked pretty good lately. Unless Carkner needs to rehab a few games in the AHL the other short term logical move is to send Rundblad down. That should test his mettle.

aragorn 11-22-2011 03:58 PM

I saw Carkner today at SBP I was coming out as he was going in. He is a big man & he looked fine. My guess is that he just needs to egt into game shape before he is cleared to play. I also saw Karlsson, Gonchar, Kuba (who is huge) & a couple of other guys who I didn't get a good look at. Carkner will probably do a week or so in Bingo for a condition stint.

Once Carkner is ready I think Rundblad gets demoted to Bingo for awhile maybe even until the trade deadline. With Turris signed maybe that will start a bidding war for his services although I doubt Murray over pays for him. Should be an interesting week.

Beville 11-23-2011 01:57 AM

Yayyyy :D

Bruise Bros 2426 11-24-2011 10:25 PM

Good to see him making progress. Hope to see him soon.

Do Make Say Think 11-24-2011 10:43 PM

Don't want him back.
Glad he's feeling better though.

Shanny 11-29-2011 09:37 PM

He's back on Thursday.

Qward 11-29-2011 09:40 PM

just in time to replace Kuba "upper body"

N Bahn Ahden 11-29-2011 09:50 PM

I think we have to remember that he's not necessarily in our top 6 anymore. I'm sure they'll try to get him into the lineup, but as the season progresses he's probably going to end up as the 7th defenceman.

Highbrow 11-29-2011 10:20 PM

On a related note, any timeline for Regin?

source 11-29-2011 10:22 PM

IMO they should toss Lee in Kuba's spot. If we play the Penguins though, Carkner dresses.

ShutDownDefense 11-29-2011 10:24 PM

Carkner's 7th D, after the way our D's been going, stay as it is. I like the offensive rush of Rundblad, Karlsson, and the dominating shutdown D of Cowen, if anyone sits it's Carkner or Kuba.

aragorn 11-30-2011 08:08 AM

There has been a few games this yr where Ottawa has missed Carkner's toughness. I thought that last night watching the Winnipeg game that they were taking liberties including the Karlsson hit along the boards & pushing Greening into the net & boards. Unbelievable there was no call on that, if it was Crosby the guy would have been banned from the NHL. :sarcasm:

IMO Kuba will be traded if Murray can find a trading partner but likely not until the trade deadline. Lee's days in Ottawa are also numbered & he could either be placed on waivers or traded or released at the end of the yr. Depending on how long Kuba is out Lee will likely replace him until Carkner is ready. Let's not expect too much from Carkner coming off knee surgery, he will need some time to get comfortable again, maybe a fight or two.

Marble 11-30-2011 10:13 AM

Agreed. Remember how long it took Kuba to catch up to the pace of the game last year? Carkner could look pretty awful out there for a while, and will surely be our 7th D until he catches up. And even then...you never know.

The Expert 11-30-2011 10:28 AM

MacLean and Murray have made it pretty clear Carkner's going to play. Every game? No, but are people really dumb enough to think the number 7 d-man spot remains consistent over a season? It changes on a daily basis. They've been extremely cautious with his injury recovery, he's coming back in great shape to prove his detractors wrong for a third year in a row.

slamigo 11-30-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aragorn (Post 40186293)
There has been a few games this yr where Ottawa has missed Carkner's toughness. I thought that last night watching the Winnipeg game that they were taking liberties including the Karlsson hit along the boards & pushing Greening into the net & boards. Unbelievable there was no call on that, if it was Crosby the guy would have been banned from the NHL. :sarcasm:

I don't think he pushed Greening. In fact, I don't know how you could even stop Greening on that play. He was flying and he's a big, strong kid. Greening is the king of the weight room for the Senators. Nobody is stronger. Just because he isn't a goon, doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to stick up for himself.

Cujomi 11-30-2011 11:49 AM

I can't see them sitting Rundblad for that long. He's been playing well for us and, as I said before when he was sitting, our offence is much more dynamic with him back in the line-up. I don't have the exact stats but just compare our GPG with Rundblad in the line-up compared to what it is without him. I am inclined to believe it's higher with.

LeTigre 11-30-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJam613 (Post 40193737)
I can't see them sitting Rundblad for that long. He's been playing well for us and, as I said before when he was sitting, our offence is much more dynamic with him back in the line-up. I don't have the exact stats but just compare our GPG with Rundblad in the line-up compared to what it is without him. I am inclined to believe it's higher with.

If my rough calculations are correct it's about 3.13 goals for with him in and 3.11 without him. Almost identical. But the team is 9-6 with him in.

jbeck5 11-30-2011 12:57 PM

Does a 2 week conditioning stint in bingo make sense in this case?

N Bahn Ahden 11-30-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Expert (Post 40190613)
MacLean and Murray have made it pretty clear Carkner's going to play. Every game? No, but are people really dumb enough to think the number 7 d-man spot remains consistent over a season? It changes on a daily basis. They've been extremely cautious with his injury recovery, he's coming back in great shape to prove his detractors wrong for a third year in a row.

This is a good point. He could move into the 8th defenceman spot.

slamigo 11-30-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeTigre (Post 40196673)
If my rough calculations are correct it's about 3.13 goals for with him in and 3.11 without him. Almost identical. But the team is 9-6 with him in.

He's also a -6. But that can change drastically from day to day. Cowen was a -4 last night while Phillips was a +4 last night.

I like Rundblad, but he gets beat wide a lot. I think he'll adjust to that soon(ish) though. His skating and hockey sense are top notch. He's not afraid of contact. His puck handling is awesome. It's just the pace of the game and positioning right now.

Best of all, I think Rundblad's presence has actually pushed Karlsson to be a better player. I think maybe Karlsson was somewhat challenged by Rundblad coming in so highly rated. A lot of people still think Rundblad may turn out to be a better player in a year or two. That competition is lighting a fire under Karlsson and he has elevated his game.