HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Senator resign Havlat (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=103751)

Seachd 09-15-2004 03:43 PM

Senator resign Havlat

According to the Score.

Burnaby_Joe* 09-15-2004 04:00 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98803

Classic Devil 09-15-2004 07:25 PM

It's on TSN now too.

andora 09-15-2004 07:28 PM

boy, if havlat can keep sucking out one year deals, he can just keep pulling contract year stats out and make 12 million by the time he's 26

Vlad The Impaler 09-15-2004 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora
boy, if havlat can keep sucking out one year deals, he can just keep pulling contract year stats out and make 12 million by the time he's 26

I'm curious to know what he signed for this time.

TVanek26* 09-15-2004 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I'm curious to know what he signed for this time.

Not that he will see any of that money this year :(

TelperiŽn 09-15-2004 08:40 PM

Apparently $2.3 million. http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/Sports/2004/09/13/627184.html

As a Sens fan, I'm happy he's signed though it's not like he's going to play any time soon. This is Havlat's second 1-year deal in two years. I guess it forces him to keep producing instead of getting lazy if guaranteed a long term contract.

Mizral 09-15-2004 09:31 PM

Another big mistake for John Muckler.

I figure the trio of Alfredsson, Hossa, and Havlat - one of them will be gone after the next year of hockey. Hossa's contract will be up, and he could ask for a huge raise, even with the CBA. Alfy is a UFA (I think?) after a year, even if they don't lower the UFA age. And Havlat will be up for a new deal, probobly wanting $3 - 4, maybe more.

Good luck Ottawa.

Vyse64 09-15-2004 09:33 PM

alfy signed a long term contract miz

Burnaby_Joe* 09-15-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Thompson

I figure the trio of Alfredsson, Hossa, and Havlat - one of them will be gone after the next year of hockey. Hossa's contract will be up, and he could ask for a huge raise, even with the CBA. Alfy is a UFA (I think?) after a year, even if they don't lower the UFA age. And Havlat will be up for a new deal, probobly wanting $3 - 4, maybe more.

Good luck Ottawa.

Didn't the Canucks sign Bertuzzi long term for a crazy amount of $$$$$?

Murphy* 09-15-2004 09:42 PM

Quote:

Good luck Ottawa.

Alfie resigned a 5 year deal this past year...

V for Voodoo 09-15-2004 09:42 PM

Never was a big Sens fan that one..

Volcanologist 09-15-2004 10:15 PM

If I were the Sens I'd keep Havlat instead of Hossa.

Mizral 09-15-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murph_man15
Alfie resigned a 5 year deal this past year...

I always forgot weather it was him or Koivu who did that, my mistake.

I believe if it comes to Hossa or Havlat, the Sens will choose Hossa, and rightfully so. That kid is just absolutely amazing. I think Havlat to be honest is a very good player, but I do not see him having the super-star power of Hossa. I could see Hossa winning an Art Ross one of these years. Havlat I see as generally a lesser player overall than Hossa is/will be.

Other Dave 09-15-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

I figure the trio of Alfredsson, Hossa, and Havlat - one of them will be gone after the next year of hockey. Hossa's contract will be up, and he could ask for a huge raise, even with the CBA.

He can ask, but he's not going to get it. It's unlikely that an arbitrator will give him Demitra, Hejduk or Thornton money, and he's worth $5 million to a winning team.

Of course, he can always decline arbitration and decide to hold out, but that hasn't been his MO thus far.

Quote:

Alfy is a UFA (I think?) after a year, even if they don't lower the UFA age.
Alfy is signed for five years.

Quote:

And Havlat will be up for a new deal, probobly wanting $3 - 4, maybe more.
$3 million is only a 700k raise, well within reason if Havlat maintains his current development. And keep in mind that arbitrators generally don't break the bank for 24-year-olds. $4 mil is out of the question and neither the team nor an arbitrator would award him that kind of money at his age.

Bileur 09-15-2004 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo
Never was a big Sens fan that one..

More like sens hater. what can you do?

speeds 09-15-2004 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Dave

$3 million is only a 700k raise, well within reason if Havlat maintains his current development. And keep in mind that arbitrators generally don't break the bank for 24-year-olds. $4 mil is out of the question and neither the team nor an arbitrator would award him that kind of money at his age.

Tampa has, with Lecavalier (4.375 mil), and I believe Richards bumps up to 4 mil + the year after this (not sure if that's a team or player option, I can only imagine it's a team option)

http://www.slam.canoe.ca/Slam030906/nhl_ott1-sun.html

*edit* sorry, kind of misread it to start with, when you say "neither the team nor an arbitrator" you were, I believe now, referring to the Sens. That may be true for them, when I first read it though I somehow thought you meant no team would give a 24 year old that.

As for an arbitrator, unlikely, but I suppose if Havlat performs similarly to Lecavalier next year it might not be unthinkable that he'd a lot closer to 4 mil than 2.3?

V for Voodoo 09-15-2004 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeds
Tampa has, with Lecavalier (4.375 mil), and I believe Richards bumps up to 4 mil + the year after this (not sure if that's a team or player option, I can only imagine it's a team option)

http://www.slam.canoe.ca/Slam030906/nhl_ott1-sun.html

Neither one went to arbitration

SensGod 09-16-2004 09:52 AM

I was actually more worried about getting Varada signed.

silly me...

The best RW in hockey is guaranteed to be together for another year...

I personally don't think Havlat will be in a Sens jersey more than another year or two...especially if the Sens bow out of the playoffs early again.

Mizral 09-16-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
I was actually more worried about getting Varada signed.

silly me...

The best RW in hockey is guaranteed to be together for another year...

I personally don't think Havlat will be in a Sens jersey more than another year or two...especially if the Sens bow out of the playoffs early again.

I think they can afford to lose him for sure. In fact, I think moving him would be a pretty good idea. Bring in a great left winger with some size and some hustle. A guy like Keith Tkachuk would be pretty great if he wasn't brutally overpaid and a playoff washout. ;)

Shall we bring up the Ryan Smyth for Martin Havlat stuff again?

Vyse64 09-16-2004 12:53 PM

Quote:

no
sens fan want Smyth+ for Havlat or they don't want to trade Havlat at all

oilers fan want Havlat for Smyth staight up or they don't want to trade Smyth for a guy who was holding out at 23

its doesn't go well after that so just stop b4 it begins

FTK 09-16-2004 12:54 PM

Quote:

I think they can afford to lose him for sure. In fact, I think moving him would be a pretty good idea. Bring in a great left winger with some size and some hustle. A guy like Keith Tkachuk would be pretty great if he wasn't brutally overpaid and a playoff washout. ;)

What about the famous Morrow-Havlat Stuff ?

SensGod 09-16-2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

For the record...I'm not going to be the guy who brings up Smyth or Morrow talk...

:eek:

SensGod 09-16-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTK
What about the famous Morrow-Havlat Stuff ?

I'm not going there...

;)

:eek:

Steve Latin* 09-16-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Why not Martin Havlat for Richard Zednik? He and Smyth are both unspectacular 60 point, 30 goal scorers in their prime at age 27....

:D

S L