HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   News Article: For some reason, Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson can't play together (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1037929)

Ron 11-24-2011 02:36 PM

For some reason, Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson can't play together

For some reason, Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson can't play together

I don't know, Murray doesn't really justify NOT using them, other than alluding to "the maturity level is not where it needs to be." Wonder who he is talking about? Not.

Ziggy Stardust 11-24-2011 02:41 PM

I didn't think he gave them much time to play together. It's not like they were making mistakes out there, the last few games they were together there just wasn't much happening offensively for the team. They've been together in the past during the playoffs and lit up the Canucks and Sharks when paired together on the PP. Since they split them up starting with the game in St. Louis, I haven't noticed their games picking up either.

Now it seems as though they tend to overpass the puck or become reluctant to shoot. While Jack has learned that not every shot has to be a slapshot from the point, it seems that Drew has yet to pick up on this. Doughty needs to find a way to get his shots through and create rebounds, they have to understand that not all shots from the point have to go in, just get it on net and make things happen from there.

Josh Deitell 11-24-2011 02:47 PM

The problem to me is not so much their play together but that when you put two puckmovers on one line it necessitates putting two stay at home guys together.

When Scuderi and Greene were out there together we had a tough time clearing our zone because neither of those guys can carry the puck if the opening's there. Greene tries but he shouldn't be.

I like to see Mitchell/Scuderi/Greene hang back and throw it over to Drew/Jack/Voynov/Martinez to start the breakout.

Julius Caesar Milan 11-24-2011 02:50 PM

As usual, Ziggy gets it.

redcard 11-24-2011 03:05 PM

We have these guys signed for 7 and 8 years....they have plenty of time to learn how to play together. Breaking them up after only a handful of games and declaring that it doesn't work is short sighted.

damacles1156 11-24-2011 03:35 PM

You need a Puck mover with a Stay at home guy. Does anyone really want to see Scuds/Greene pair again ? Those guys need a puck mover on the other side.

Kingurentai 11-24-2011 04:52 PM

TM doesn't give it enough time. Same for his forward lines. There are times when you need to change it up, but with TM it's done too often.

redcard 11-24-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damacles1156 (Post 39907771)
You need a Puck mover with a Stay at home guy. Does anyone really want to see Scuds/Greene pair again ? Those guys need a puck mover on the other side.

Mitchell's UFA after this season, Scuds has 2 years, Greene has 3. We don't have players in our system to replace them and play their style. Forbort's years away and we traded Teubert. The majority of our D prospects are puck movers.

Its not like Jack and Drew require a stay at home guy to be paired with them. Yes, it helps, but these guys are young and going to be around a long time. Pairing them together allows them to work on their chemistry, figure out when is the right time for one of them to skate up the ice. Let them play through the growing pains and it will pay off in the long run.

Willie Mitchell has 27 shots on goal in 22 games, Doughty averages 4:32 of PP TOI and has 28 shots on goal in 17 games. Doughty doesn't get many even strength chances, other teams know what Drew can do from the point and they are also aware of Mitchell's lack of abilities (although his goal the other night was welcome). When you pair Jack and Drew with offensively inept players the opposing team keys in on the puck movers and inhibits them from getting scoring chances while leaving Scuds and Mitchell open for shots....and its usually a pretty good gamble. Pair Jack and Drew together at even strength and it stretches the opposing team's defense in the offensive zone, they know if they leave either open for point opportunities they'll likely regret it. With our "cycle, cycle, cycle some more" offense stretching the D creates more opportunities for our forwards.

butteryslugz 11-24-2011 11:00 PM

doesnt surprise me.. both still learning to be play at a high level consistently. they will be back together in the future, and they will be a dynamic pair. hopefully sooner than later!

Jason Lewis 11-25-2011 03:59 PM

It also doesn't help that Doughtys defensive game has been puke this season.

Anyone notice how BAD a skater he has been?

The guys gets blown by on the outside on a regular occasion.

Chazz Reinhold 11-25-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaygokings (Post 39944157)
It also doesn't help that Doughtys defensive game has been puke this season.

Anyone notice how BAD a skater he has been?

The guys gets blown by on the outside on a regular occasion.

He just does not have the same explosiveness to his skating that he had his Norris-candidate season. It was the same last year, too.

kingscourt26 11-25-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold (Post 39944433)
He just does not have the same explosiveness to his skating that he had his Norris-candidate season. It was the same last year, too.

What's his motivation? He's getting a huge paycheck, longterm, that he never deserved.

Chazz Reinhold 11-25-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingscourt26 (Post 39945963)
What's his motivation? He's getting a huge paycheck, longterm, that he never deserved.

He didn't have that huge paycheck going into last season or even training for this season. I just really think he stopped focusing on quickness and explosiveness in his off season training. Just a personal opinion, but it seems like it the way he can't escape oncoming forecheckers or close on players the way jay pointed out.

butteryslugz 11-25-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold (Post 39944433)

I think its more of him putting himself in vulnerable positions, allowing opposing skaters to pass him with ease. I may be the only one here who thinks this, but he
seems faster to me.