HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Package centered around Panthers 2012 1st round pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1037957)

pb1300 11-24-2011 03:34 PM

Package centered around Panthers 2012 1st round pick

Im thinking that if the Panthers are still in the top eight come the deadline, the Cats 1st rounder could be in play. The top line is currently scoring almost 48% of the teams goals, and even though Samuelsonn, Goc, and Upshall will be back in the coming weeks, maybe longer for Goc, they could still use another top six forward. Of course prospects like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Markstrom, Howden, and Bjugstad are off limits, but a package including their 1st rounder could bring them back some scoring help. Thoughts?

Sarcastic 11-24-2011 03:35 PM

But they already used that draft pick.

AwesomePanthers 11-24-2011 03:38 PM

You mean the 2012 1st? Keep it!!

I'd keep it no matter what, I hate throwing away 1st. They are so valuable in these cap days, and with the 2012 being a strong draft. I don't wanna give it up for an early first round exit.

I seriously hope Tallon keeps it, way to risky. What if we miss the playoffs even after trading the 1st? Then what? I value 1st round picks really high, so I'd say keep it no matter what.

CoRD 11-24-2011 03:40 PM

Any interest in Rene Bourque?

thepuckmonster 11-24-2011 03:42 PM

Why do they want to give up Hubredeau? They just got him! :sarcasm:

Andre Benoit Bawls 11-24-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers (Post 39907837)
You mean the 2012 1st? Keep it!!

I'd keep it no matter what, I hate throwing away 1st. They are so valuable in these cap days, and with the 2012 being a strong draft. I don't wanna give it up for an early first round exit.

I seriously hope Tallon keeps it, way to risky. What if we miss the playoffs even after trading the 1st? Then what? I value 1st round picks really high, so I'd say keep it no matter what.

I assume the OP is saying to trade the 1st for a player signed past this season.

Halak Ness Monster 11-24-2011 03:52 PM

Should the Panthers really be that concerned about making the playoffs THIS year? Shouldn't they hold onto their picks and try to build around Markstrom/Huberdeau/Kulikov/Gudbranson for the future?

Making the playoffs is great but it really isn't that great if you get the boot in the first round and then struggle to get back. The focus should be on building a team that can contend for a playoff spot for many years. The best way to do that is to keep a continuous stream of talent coming up to the NHL level.

It isn't like the team you have now is a one hit wonder. You've got Campbell, Jovanovski, Fleischmann, Kopecky, Upshall, and Bergenheim all locked up for awhile. Versteeg is just a RFA after this year and Weiss has one more year.
Let your talented youngsters get to the NHL level to help strengthen your roster.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 11-24-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoRD (Post 39907865)
Any interest in Rene Bourque?

If the Panthers magically make it to the ECF, it'd be fair. Too much for Borkman.

hoodstar 11-24-2011 03:56 PM

There is actually a lot of stanley cup experience on Florida. On top of that, Bergenheim, Samuelsson and Campbell are pretty clutch as well. I don't think Florida needs to give up their 1st for anything. Best case scenario for them is to squeak into the playoffs and cause some serious havoc.

AwesomePanthers 11-24-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OttoMan (Post 39907943)
I assume the OP is saying to trade the 1st for a player signed past this season.

Of course, but still.. throwing away 1st is foolish in my opinion (unless you're surely a top-team).

Andre Benoit Bawls 11-24-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers (Post 39908695)
Of course, but still.. throwing away 1st is foolish in my opinion (unless you're surely a top-team).

Not for a guy like Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter, etc.

Jimmy Villa 11-24-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers (Post 39908695)

Tell that to the Avs *epic fail* :(

Alexander Baigle 11-24-2011 04:45 PM

I'd love Toronto to hoard some first round draft picks this year. Three or four could really help our team. I don't really know what Florida would want from our roster, we're much in the same boat.

AwesomePanthers 11-24-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OttoMan (Post 39909303)
Not for a guy like Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter, etc.

Well, if you think they're available, but I'm being a little more realistic.

LeafsandSharksfan 11-24-2011 04:48 PM

Panthers have the prospects to make a deal for any available star that could be had for futures. I don't think the 1st needs to be involved.

Winroba 11-24-2011 04:48 PM

I hope they don't move it, no reason to move the pick now when you want to build around a team who will make the playoffs every year.

Andre Benoit Bawls 11-24-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers (Post 39909635)
Well, if you think they're available, but I'm being a little more realistic.

I'm not sure, but realistically there will be a player available for a package built around a 1st. Like Penner last year :naughty:

Bryanbryoil 11-24-2011 08:54 PM

Hemsky for your 1st + ?

AwesomePanthers 11-25-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 39916249)
Hemsky for your 1st + ?

An injury-prone UFA for our 1st +? :facepalm:

HooliganX2 11-25-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 39916249)
Hemsky for your 1st + ?

Hemsky won't get you just the 1st

SufferingCatFan 11-25-2011 06:19 AM

I respectfullydisagree with your premise that, in the event that the Panthers tank during the 2011-12 season, Tallon would consider trading the resulting high, number 1 draft choice. More likely that Tallon keeps that pick in a deep draft.

If the Panther's collapse, then it is more likely that Tallon will become very active at the TDL by continuing to trade vets on expiring contracts (i.e. Samuelson, Strum, Weaver, Clemmer) for picks and/or prospects.

Since we lack rich owners, the Panthers will likely remain close to the salary cap floor for the 2012-13 season. By trading Booth, we freed up $4.5 million. Most of which we will need to resign Garrison and Versteeg. Nonetheless, we can expect Trader Tallon to continue to make trades, particularly trading some of our depth propects, who are close to NHL ready, but stuck behind better players (i.e Comrie, Jenks, maybe Shore).

At least that is how I see it.

bernmeister 11-25-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 39907725)
Im thinking that if the Panthers are still in the top eight come the deadline, the Cats 1st rounder could be in play. The top line is currently scoring almost 48% of the teams goals, and even though Samuelsonn, Goc, and Upshall will be back in the coming weeks, maybe longer for Goc, they could still use another top six forward. Of course prospects like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Markstrom, Howden, and Bjugstad are off limits, but a package including their 1st rounder could bring them back some scoring help. Thoughts?

Not sure who could be agreed upon as to bodies.

How about Fl. 2012 1st
for
Rangers 2012 2nd, + 2012 5th + 2013 4th

You get prospects + still have a high pick this year, + NY moves up.

Coolburn 11-25-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernmeister (Post 39928305)
Not sure who could be agreed upon as to bodies.

How about Fl. 2012 1st
for
Rangers 2012 2nd, + 2012 5th + 2013 4th

You get prospects + still have a high pick this year, + NY moves up.

A trade where its just picks could happen at the draft. The premise of the OP was to make a move at the deadline to add a player.

Regardless, unless the Rangers crap the bed and the Panthers are a top 5 team in the entire league, the value doesnt match what a 1st rounder equates in most trades with just picks involved (generally a 1st goes for at least another 1st coming back or sometimes two 2nd rounders).

I'd like to see if we could get an upgrade using our 1st along with Santorelli and one of our wingers. A 1B/2A center to play behind Weiss and paired up with our plethora of wingers should give us the secondary scoring we need. Moving our 1st rounder now may be a risk to make the playoffs but we have soooo many prospects and many guys signed long term right now that the risk would be minimal (so long as Tallon doesnt keep trading our 1st we'll still have a strong pipeline of youngsters)

SufferingCatFan 11-25-2011 12:40 PM

Not too long ago, the two of us were derided on the Panther board for suggesting that the Cats trade Booth and Santorelli for a center upgrade.

Do you remember the howls when I suggested trading Booth, Santorelli plus for Jordan Stoll?

I agree with you completely that we need a true number 2 center.

bernmeister 11-25-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolburn (Post 39929889)
A trade where its just picks could happen at the draft. The premise of the OP was to make a move at the deadline to add a player.

Regardless, unless the Rangers crap the bed and the Panthers are a top 5 team in the entire league, the value doesnt match what a 1st rounder equates in most trades with just picks involved (generally a 1st goes for at least another 1st coming back or sometimes two 2nd rounders).

I'd like to see if we could get an upgrade using our 1st along with Santorelli and one of our wingers. A 1B/2A center to play behind Weiss and paired up with our plethora of wingers should give us the secondary scoring we need. Moving our 1st rounder now may be a risk to make the playoffs but we have soooo many prospects and many guys signed long term right now that the risk would be minimal (so long as Tallon doesnt keep trading our 1st we'll still have a strong pipeline of youngsters)

Fair enough. But NORMALLY no team, especially in a ddep draft, is going to give up a lot just to advance a first a few selections. An exception would be if there was someone there the drafting team really wanted.

Although I respect your team, and the effort it makes showing a commitment to excellence, overall I generally like the potential of my guys better. While I have an open mind to a suggestion, would rather not do anything major as to players + see what premium there is for your pick.