HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Brad Richards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1038497)

DirtyDion03 11-25-2011 02:24 PM

Brad Richards

Leafs fan, coming in peace..

Just wondering at this point of the season what everyone here thinks of Brad Richards so far? Has he gelled with Gaborik? Has he lived up to expectations and his contract?

Good luck this season guys!

KingWantsCup 11-25-2011 02:27 PM

No and sort of. I personally believe that Gaborik and Richards weren't given enough time together to develop chemistry. As far as expectations he was supposed to fix the power play but it's still terrible. He has scored some clutch goals that resulted in points for us though.

IBleedNYRBlue 11-25-2011 02:29 PM

He's been good but not his contract good. I don't think his stats tell the story though. His vision/passing has been great and some guys are just not finishing like playing with 3rd/4th liners like Feds, Prust, Boyle, etc. Torts took him off Gabs line a few games in to try and get Dubi/Cally going I guess, and then took him off that. I'd like him back their with Gaborik because Richards is too good to be playing on a line with 3rd/4th liners.

Drewbackatu* 11-25-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 39933931)
No and sort of. He was supposed to fix the power play and it's still terrible but he has scored some clutch goals that resulted in points for us.

He is what he is, an elite level setup guy with no one to really setup since he isn't playing with Gabby. He is not a game changer in any way, shape or form though. If he puts up 70+ points on this offensively challenged team, he would be doing ok. We really had no choice but to sign him but unless we find a couple of decent finishers, Richards value to the team will never be maximized.

Clowes Line 11-25-2011 03:28 PM

He wasn't given enough time with Gaborik, but he has 100% had a HUGE, HUGE impact on this team.

Don't be surprised if Stepan changes his middle name to Brad when he's older.

Vitto79 11-25-2011 03:34 PM

Not really sure why Torts doesnt go back to Stepan, Richards, Gaborik..........Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan (Packline worked last yr)

then throw a Hagelin, Boyle, Fedotenko........Avery, Mitchell/EC, Prust

when he comes back I say play Rupp 4th line C and I have no idea what Wolski will do if he's not in a top 6 role

Richards and Gabby need to be given another shot

Krampus 11-25-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 39937323)
Not really sure why Torts doesnt go back to Stepan, Richards, Gaborik..........Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan (Packline worked last yr)

then throw a Hagelin, Boyle, Fedotenko........Avery, Mitchell/EC, Prust

when he comes back I say play Rupp 4th line C and I have no idea what Wolski will do if he's not in a top 6 role

Richards and Gabby need to be given another shot

I'm 100% sure that it'll happen sooner or later this year

Machinehead 11-25-2011 04:48 PM

6.5 million to fix the PP well spent :shakehead:rolleyes:

Jumbo* 11-25-2011 06:39 PM

He hasn't really been put with Gabby that much shockingly but he has consistenly played very well and has thus far been very clutch for this team. Has scored a bunch of very big goals already. 15 points in 19 games, 2nd on the team in points.

Anyone complaining about him just has nothing better to do. He's been our most consistent forward with Cally and Gabby all season.

Drewbackatu* 11-25-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuna Guy (Post 39950937)
He hasn't really been put with Gabby that much shockingly but he has consistenly played very well and has thus far been very clutch for this team. Has scored a bunch of very big goals already. 15 points in 19 games, 2nd on the team in points.

Anyone complaining about him just has nothing better to do. He's been our most consistent forward with Cally and Gabby all season.

You left out D Step who for my money has been our best all around forward all year. Torts even alluded to it in his post game.

Callagraves 11-25-2011 07:38 PM

I'd watched some of him, so I knew to expect the kind of player he is. Normally by the time you notice Brad Richards on the ice, it's too late, and he's already made the pass. Some people are upset, and were expecting a game breaking attention grabbing super-star (a la OV, Crosby, years ago Jagr etc) but when he shows up, it's big.

He's a bit better than I had expected on defense. That was nice. He reads the ice on both ends.

Did we over pay? I don't think so. Granted you always overpay a FA, but he seems to have been the right choice, and we got him for less than other teams were willing to pay.

bluecollarblueshirt* 11-25-2011 09:02 PM

He's been good so far. But he has no one to set up so who knows.

Calad 11-25-2011 09:16 PM

If we had to make the decision to sign him again I would still do it all over again. He has been very good, not too flashy but scored some clutch goals and seems to be a very smart player. He was not given much time to gel with Gaborik, but he has made some pretty plays, such as this one:

Inferno 11-25-2011 09:29 PM

Been VERY happy with Richards so far. Stars almost always do poorly their first year in NY, and Richards is playing pretty well. 15 points in 19 games, thats on pace for 65 pts....thats 13 more than any player had on the Rangers last year.

his 15 pts so far this year is only 1 fewer than what Frolov gave us last year (in 43 games)

He's only 2 pts behind Gabby in scoring lead, and frankly I think he's still got a ton more to give.

Thats not bad at all. its not easy going to a market like NY and going gangbusters the way Shanny did, or Jagr did, or Gabby did. ppl forget how many duds we have had here. I really like Richards game, and frankly I think his game has helped Stepan SO much....Stepan looks like he's elevated to another level this season.

Rangers record is good, and frankly outside of Stepan, Cally, MCD, Girardi, Lundqvist, and to a lesser degree Gabby, the entire team has a TON more to give than what they have shown.

trilobyte 11-25-2011 09:43 PM

Look at the way that Richards played with Dallas. A bit different from the new environment he finds himself in. From what I saw of his role on the Stars, there was more headmanning the puck. They moved faster and rushed more.

I like Richards so much. Just having that kind of guy around is beneficial. But, to make my point, look at how he turned that beautiful pass from Callahan into a goal. How many times have we Rangers nuts had to watch that kind of setup get flubbed? Okay, there haven't been that many setups like that, I agree, but there are a lot of ways to spend your valuable cap $$ and Richards looks fine to me.

SupersonicMonkey* 11-25-2011 11:15 PM

Richards should be paired with a legitimate goal scorer.

adam94 11-25-2011 11:43 PM

Although I don't think he's performed to his full potential, he still provides solid offense to a team that definitely needs him. Of course there's a lot more you want to see from our PP unit, but besides that I like what I've seen from him so far. All we need is to get Dubinsky rolling... :whatever:

mullichicken25 11-25-2011 11:58 PM

richards hasn't been playing with gaborik because gaborik hasn't needed him....

the rest of the team, however, has been an offensive disaster...hence richards playing on other lines

MetalGodAOD 11-26-2011 01:29 AM

He needs to play at the point if the PP is going to have any chance to be fixed. Torts :shakehead:

Swept In Seven 11-26-2011 01:35 AM

Loving Richards so far. He is just a great hockey player

SomebodySaveKreider 11-26-2011 01:35 PM

Love the signing so far. Him and Gaborik haven't played a lot together, but there was game this year they were paired on I believe a 4 on 4 and just made the opposing defense look silly.

He's a good PPQB, but without a threat from the point, and the fact that none of our forwards shoot or move around on the PP, you just can't make chicken salad out of chicken...well you get the idea.

Silence Of The Plams 11-26-2011 02:37 PM

I like him, he hasnt had enough time to play with 1 line. He's a good catch

h0ckeyman 11-26-2011 03:19 PM

Richards is the man. He hasn't 100% gelled with Gabby, but he makes everyone he plays with better. He adds a MUCH needed layer of scoring. So far he's been worth his weight in gold.

GamerZX101 11-26-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 39966595)
Richards should be paired with a legitimate goal scorer.

Gaborik is the only legit goal scorer we have.

Stepan-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-AA-Callahan
Avery-Mitchell/EC-Hagelin
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

JeffMangum 11-26-2011 06:35 PM

The lines are fine right now. Putting Richards and Gaborik on different lines spreads out the offense, and diverse offense is something this team needs desperately. Also, Richards and Callahan seem to be gaining some chemistry, keep them together. Maybe move Hagelin up to that wing:

Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Dubinsky-Boyle-Fedotenko
Avery-Mitchell-Prust

As for Richards...he may not be lighting up the scoresheet, but he has been in control in all 3 zones. His defensive game is excellent, he's 2nd in team scoring while being the matchup center every night. He dominated Giroux.