HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nike - Lockout Commercial (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=104057)

donelikedinner 09-16-2004 04:27 PM

Nike - Lockout Commercial

i was just watching tv and saw a nike commercial about the lockout. it starts with an arena with a clean sheet of ice ready to go for a game. then the commercial watches the ice melt down to the concrete floor. the commercial ends with "bring it back"

who do you think the nhl sponsors would side with? owners or the players?

Pontifex Maximus* 09-16-2004 05:03 PM

Bring what back? It's September 16th. Run this ad in November.

Dr Love 09-16-2004 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donelikedinner
who do you think the nhl sponsors would side with? owners or the players?

I would venture to say the owners. The owners want to make (more) money, and thus that would allow them to spend more on advertising, at least in theory.

FlyersProspect2 09-16-2004 05:39 PM

Wow Nike doing a spot for hockey?

Flyers26 09-16-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
I would venture to say the owners. The owners want to make (more) money, and thus that would allow them to spend more on advertising, at least in theory.

They'd side with the players. They are the ones who use/endorse the products.
I'm sure not going to buy Nike skates, because of the owners.

GKJ 09-16-2004 10:18 PM

The sponsors endorse the product that is NHL hockey. Nike, Pepsi, Insert name of back here, etc.

I don't think Savvis is too keen on their name sitting on an empty building and making no money from it.

GKJ 09-16-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2
Wow Nike doing a spot for hockey?

It's actually pretty common in Canada.

There are a few spots with Kovalchuk and Naslund knocking around a puck through a city (I'm assuming Vancouver).

GoneFullHextall 09-16-2004 11:56 PM

both sides are at fault. both sides are using the take it or leave it attitude.
there is no give to either side. Both sides are showing their true colors and really could give a rats ass about the fans.

Blindside9711 09-17-2004 11:21 AM

That's not entirely true... The owners are trying to force the players into a cap system that would supercede the owners' mistakes of the past. If say, Bill Guerin, was offered only 2-3 mil by Tom Hicks or another owner and that was the most he was offered, do you think he would sit out until he made 9-10 mil? Hell no, he'd take the 3 mil and play hockey, as would any other NHLer. The owners are the ones who should be held accountable for their own money. If someone offered me 10 mil, I'd sure as hell wouldn't say "You know, I don't think that's fair for you, roll it back a few million bucks and we'll talk."
The only thing that should change in the current system are UFA age, restrictions on rookie salaries and incentives, and probably have some sort of revenue sharing program in place. The players have already proposed a salary roll-back leaguewide.
Gary Bettman wants a salary cap to conform to the models of the NBA and the NFL and will cancel the whole season to get his way. What people don't realize is that the NHL has more player-team identity because player movement is relatively nil compared to other leagues. A salary cap is the most fan-UNfriendly system in the sports world, and I can understand the players' stance on the issue. I side with the players 100%.

flyersrock1 09-17-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
It's actually pretty common in Canada.

There are a few spots with Kovalchuk and Naslund knocking around a puck through a city (I'm assuming Vancouver).

Hockey ads up here are great. The best one even had Hextall doing a Canada Dry spot sayiny "You don't have to be sweet to be good." Then he crushes a puck. It was great.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 09-20-2004 07:34 AM

I shudder to think what Nike will lose with no NHL poster boys for their outrageously priced inventory...no wonder they want to bring it back.
:shakehead