HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blues Prospect in the World Juniors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1041053)

Lucifer T Longfellow 11-28-2011 12:53 PM

Blues Prospect in the World Juniors

I remember seeing a post like this last year so I'm sorry if I've stepped on anyone's toes by putting it out there but I was just curious about everyone's opinion as to which Blues prospect(s) have a decent likely hood of making their country's WJC team.

SirPaste 11-28-2011 01:13 PM

Schwartz for sure, Rattie has a decent shot I would think. Tarasenko will if he is not too old, he is 20 now I believe. Maybe Hakanpaa(sp?) for Finland, but I really have no idea.

bleedblue1223 11-28-2011 03:25 PM

Schwartz and Rattie were both invited to Canada's camp.

tfriede2 11-28-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPaste (Post 40086035)
Schwartz for sure, Rattie has a decent shot I would think. Tarasenko will if he is not too old, he is 20 now I believe. Maybe Hakanpaa(sp?) for Finland, but I really have no idea.

Tarasenko is no longer eligible (age)...plus, he already graduated to the WC's. :)

Crumblin Erb Brooks 11-28-2011 05:26 PM

Jaskin should on the Czech team despite a slow start to the season.

Hakanpaa should be a pretty safe bet as well. The Finns will have a nice group of forwards at the WJC (Granlund may be the best player in the tourney), but their defense is pretty weak.

Schwartz is a lock. Rattie has a shot because the field is so wide open for Canada, but I have a feeling that he'll lose his spot to someone a year older.

bluesfan94 11-29-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 40097035)
Jaskin should on the Czech team despite a slow start to the season.

Hakanpaa should be a pretty safe bet as well. The Finns will have a nice group of forwards at the WJC (Granlund may be the best player in the tourney), but their defense is pretty weak.

Schwartz is a lock. Rattie has a shot because the field is so wide open for Canada, but I have a feeling that he'll lose his spot to someone a year older.

Basically this. If Rattie impresses in camp, he'll make it. He's also a natural winger which is beneficial

kfox9611 11-29-2011 04:35 PM

Canada loves taking big wingers to have on their team. They love the power forward style and a big guy like Rattie that can score will fit in nice on Canada's team.

I wanna compare him to the Zack Kassian role that he played in the WJ's last year.

bleedblue1223 11-29-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox9611 (Post 40149333)
Canada loves taking big wingers to have on their team. They love the power forward style and a big guy like Rattie that can score will fit in nice on Canada's team.

I wanna compare him to the Zack Kassian role that he played in the WJ's last year.

Are you confusing Rattie with someone else? Probably the first time I've read someone consider Rattie a big guy. He's probably barely 6 feet tall and is under 170 pounds.

SirPaste 11-29-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Think you might be confusing with Rattie with someone else...

2 Minute Minor 11-29-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

I kinda lolled at the Big Guy description.

I think he should be on the squad, regardless. He'll help them win games.

Mike Liut 11-29-2011 10:52 PM

Rattie is big compared to Schwartz

bleedblue1223 11-29-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Liut (Post 40177093)
Rattie is big compared to Schwartz

Rattie is taller, but Schwartz weighs more, so the case could be made either way.

Jzk 11-29-2011 11:13 PM

Dmitri Jaskin should be playing for the Czech's.

Bluesnatic27 11-29-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

I think the two are incomparable,
one, kassian is a power forward who likes to pick fights while rattie is a speedy winger with good vision and nice hands, how you can compare those guys is beyond me

rumrokh 11-29-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 (Post 40178353)
I think the two are incomparable,
one, kassian is a power forward who likes to pick fights while rattie is a speedy winger with good vision and nice hands, how you can compare those guys is beyond me

Yea, wow, completely different players. Rattie is not big and physical.

stlweir 12-01-2011 02:33 PM

I look forward to seeing Rattie and Schwartz both on the team, even on the same line so we could go a good comparison of their talents.

Mike Liut 12-01-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 40177341)
Rattie is taller, but Schwartz weighs more, so the case could be made either way.

Does Rattie have a bigger frame ? A frame that allows him to add more weight ?

STL fan in IA 12-11-2011 12:59 PM

This came out a couple days ago but FYI that Devante Smith-Pelly and Brett Connolly have been released from their respective NHL teams to play in the WJC for Team Canada. That pretty much takes away 2 forward spots Rattie could've competed for and makes his odds of making the team quite a bit less IMO.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...hockey-canada/

The Note 12-14-2011 11:35 AM

Rattie was cut from Canada today

bleedblue1223 12-14-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Note (Post 40937017)
Rattie was cut from Canada today

:shakehead I don't even know what to say. At least he can win the scoring title now.

Meatwagon 12-14-2011 11:56 AM

What about wannstrom? He played last year, is he to old this year?

STL fan in IA 12-14-2011 12:12 PM

There should be no surprise an 18 yr old Rattie didn't make it. Canada had a LOT of good players to pick from and the 19 yr olds almost always get the edge over the 18 yr olds. Rattie would've made any other WJC team but Canada's team is by far the hardest to make and he had very little chance to make it once NHLers Connolly and Smith-Pelly were added. He'll very likely make it next year though.

Wannstrom's too old now. The Blues will have 3 prospects in the WJC - Schwartz for Canada (likely captain or asst captain), Jaskin for the Czechs and Hakanpaa for the Finns. Games start Dec. 26.

Cheli 12-19-2011 03:47 PM

Schwartz and Hakanpaa will be playing in the Canada vs Finland pre-competition game tonight at 8PM CST.

TSN2 is showing it in Canada, keep your eyes out for a stream, it'll probably be posted in the GDT if it exists: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1058749

BTW, Hakanpaa is wearing an A, not sure if someone already mentioned it.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 12-19-2011 10:10 PM

Watching the 1st period of Canada-Finland game and Hakanpaa, like all big defensemen prospects, is definitely a work in progress. Skating is really, really ugly.

thebluenote 12-19-2011 10:39 PM

Schwartz was definitely one of the best players for Canada tonight. On every side of the puck. He's got a great game in tight and can protect the puck really well. One thing that stood out more than others was his patience with the puck. He's got all the tools to become a great Blue one day.