HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Eric Lindros will be playing for the Flyers in the Alumni Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1042579)

Mats Zuccarelli 11-29-2011 10:22 PM

Eric Lindros will be playing for the Flyers in the Alumni Game

Anyone else a little bit bothered by this? I don't know if I'm over-reacting and I know he'll always be remembered as a Flyer, but I for one loved him when he was with the Rangers and I'm a bit hurt he would play for the Flyers instead of the Rangers, ESPECIALLY since the Flyers have a lot more alumni coming back than the Rangers.

But like I said, I understand. He spent a ton of years in Philly and had most of his success there. I guess I'm just a little disappointed

Ih8theislanders 11-29-2011 10:24 PM

Why would this upset you? It'd be like if the Bruins alumni played the Rangers and a Bruin fan is disappointed that Leetch is playing for us..

Onion Boy 11-29-2011 10:26 PM

It's kinda like how I'm disappointed that Jagr is playing for the Flyers now...

Mats Zuccarelli 11-29-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders (Post 40175585)
Why would this upset you? It'd be like if the Bruins alumni played the Rangers and a Bruin fan is disappointed that Leetch is playing for us..

Except Leetch wasn't that beloved with the Bruins and he only played what? 15 games for them?

Crease 11-29-2011 10:31 PM

LOL. That would be like Pat LaFontaine playing for the Rangers in a Rangers/Isles WC. Or Ray Bourque going into the Hall as an Avalanche.

beastly115 11-29-2011 10:31 PM

Not bothered by this at all. It'd be like a Canuck fan being upset if Messier played for us.

Crease 11-29-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Brichards (Post 40175839)
Except Leetch wasn't that beloved with the Bruins and he only played what? 15 games for them?

Lindros played parts of 3 seasons with the Rangers. He had a 13 year career. He's a Flyer first and foremost.

Mats Zuccarelli 11-29-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaQUp (Post 40176017)
Not bothered by this at all. It'd be like a Canuck fan being upset if Messier played for us.

Yeah, I guess that's a good comparison. Lindros was one of my favorite players so it sucks to root against him.

Ih8theislanders 11-29-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Brichards (Post 40175839)

Lindros wasn't that beloved here. People liked him, that's all. What did he do of note?

Mats Zuccarelli 11-29-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 40176161)
Lindros played parts of 3 seasons with the Rangers. He had a 13 year career. He's a Flyer first and foremost.

I understand that. I don't know. I guess I'm just bothered by it

Kershaw 11-29-2011 10:49 PM

I hated Lindros, don't know why. Something about his sense of entitlement on draft day. Even wore the Nordique jersey when the chose him IIRC.

And besides his legacy as a Flyer was forever tarnished in his last stint IMO. The Flyers were well on their way to the cup up 3-1 against the Devils, Lindros missed about the last 40 something games in the regular season up until game 5 of the ECF. He was cleared to play in the game 6 and the media was all over Lindros and how the Flyers were gonna win the cup that year. The Devils prevailed in game 6 and I'm sure everyone knows what happened to Lindros in game 7...... Devils went on to win beat the Stars in a Jason Arnott OT goal I believe. But man, Lindros was a huge scapegoat that series, the Flyers played better without him.

Crease 11-29-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Brichards (Post 40176437)
I understand that. I don't know. I guess I'm just bothered by it

Just watch this and you won't be bothered anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9bAAxh_mk

Puckface NYR* 11-29-2011 10:55 PM

i don't want him on the rangers even if we have less players. keep that jersey far away from him

OverTheCap 11-29-2011 10:56 PM

Eric Lindros was the face of the Flyers and captained that team for 6 years. When I think of Lindros, I will always picture him in Flyers orange as opposed to Rangers blue.

The Rangers-Flyers rivalry back in the mid-to-late 90s was very intense. Lindros broke Rangers fans hearts back in the 1997 ECFs. It's only fitting that he suits up as a Flyer against the Rangers in the Alumni Game.

BlueshirtBlitz 11-29-2011 11:13 PM

Lindros as a Ranger would be like Grave's as a Shark in a SJ winter classic.

SRTtoZ 11-29-2011 11:13 PM

Eric Lindros is a flyer, end of story. ANYONE upset by this needs immediate help.

EEDAWGZ 11-29-2011 11:30 PM

96-97 playoffs, Dam you Lindros :cry:

NYR Sting 11-29-2011 11:47 PM

Good, that's where he belongs. Never should have been on this team in the first place. Sather's obsession with bringing in hated players from hated rivals still bothers me to this day.

Tawnos 11-29-2011 11:49 PM

I thought of Lindros as a Flyer even when he was a Ranger.

Punxrocknyc19* 11-29-2011 11:54 PM

Lindros would be on the Flyers as he should but if the Rangers and Pens played a classic game would Nedved be on the Rangers or Pens????

im kinda shocked Nedved isnt playing in this game.

Punxrocknyc19* 11-29-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 40179651)
Good, that's where he belongs. Never should have been on this team in the first place. Sather's obsession with bringing in hated players from hated rivals still bothers me to this day.

yea especially box head Holik. and goofy Gomez :rant: thanks for McDonagh once again.

Tawnos 11-29-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 (Post 40179931)
Lindros would be on the Flyers as he should but if the Rangers and Pens played a classic game would Nedved be on the Rangers or Pens????

im kinda shocked Nedved isnt playing in this game.

Nedved is pissed he didn't make the team out of camp in 08.

Beacon 11-30-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Brichards (Post 40175431)
Anyone else a little bit bothered by this?

No, I would be surprised if he played for the Rangers. He's a Flyer. When I remember him, I remember him as a Flyer, batting Messier and other Rangers.

His few years when he was just a shadow of himself and the Rangers were in their Dark Ages hardly make him a Ranger. He's a Flyer. He made the right decision.

GrizMint 11-30-2011 12:05 AM

First, he is a Flyer

Second, he probably has a lot more ties with Flyers alumni and the org.

Third, this game is for fun, doesn't count, score really doesn't matter and its all for entertainment of the fans and players themselves

If there was a real rule for a rivalry game like this in the Winter Classic, anybody who played for either team shouldn't be allowed to play and that would be stupid

mja 11-30-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 40176909)
I hated Lindros, don't know why. Something about his sense of entitlement on draft day. Even wore the Nordique jersey when the chose him IIRC.

And besides his legacy as a Flyer was forever tarnished in his last stint IMO. The Flyers were well on their way to the cup up 3-1 against the Devils, Lindros missed about the last 40 something games in the regular season up until game 5 of the ECF. He was cleared to play in the game 6 and the media was all over Lindros and how the Flyers were gonna win the cup that year. The Devils prevailed in game 6 and I'm sure everyone knows what happened to Lindros in game 7...... Devils went on to win beat the Stars in a Jason Arnott OT goal I believe. But man, Lindros was a huge scapegoat that series, the Flyers played better without him.

Not that this has anything to really do with the thread, but this last paragraph is just not very accurate.

Lindros came back and was the best player on the ice for game 6 and game 7 until Stevens permanently changed that. If the rest of the team couldn't handle that, that's on them, not on 88. He played well, they all played like ****. No Flyer fan blamed him for that.

What we did blame him for was the melodrama immediately afterward.