HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   YOUR limit with Lindy? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1043511)

Squantosawuss 11-30-2011 10:10 PM

YOUR limit with Lindy?

There are people who want Lindy gone. There are those who give him every benefit of the doubt. And then there's everybody along the entire spectrum in between.

In a week where two NHL coaches were fired on the same day, including the very high profile Caps coach Bruce Boudreax.....

What is your limit with Lindy? He is the longest tenured coach, not just in the NHL, but in almost all of professional sports. What will it take for Lindy Ruff to be released as head coach of the Sabres? How much more time should he be given to succeed, however you define success? Even the most ardent Lindy supporters MUST have a limit....or do they?

New Sabres Captain 11-30-2011 10:13 PM

He's got to take this team far in the playoffs IMO. At least the second round (but even then, if they lose it needs to be competitive).

He does things that I'd think foolish (coughcoughGragnaniPlayingOverWebercoughcough), but time and again he's shown that he's a good coach. The question is--has he taken this team as far as it will go?

haseoke39 11-30-2011 10:15 PM

I think defining a limit for your coach by the team's success over time is a bad metric, as counter-intuitive as that sounds. My metric is good or bad coaching. Well coached teams can miss the playoffs, poorly coached teams can win the cup.

So I would have to see Lindy either lose the team mentally, or make some observable coaching errors. And frankly, at the end of the day, I trust people closer to the situation than random fans to be making that decision, because so much of what a coach actually does is unobservable to us. That's why it means a great deal to me that Lindy has a great reputation around the league - players and opposing coaches are more likely to know than I am.

ZZamboni 11-30-2011 10:15 PM

My limit with Lindy is in line with Pegulas and Blacks limit with Lindy.

Myllz 11-30-2011 10:18 PM

Limit's been reached.

S319R11S16 11-30-2011 10:25 PM

Limit passed a long time ago.

kirby11 11-30-2011 10:29 PM

I'm starting to get close to reaching my limit. The whole Gragnani situation has been handled terribly IMO-Weber would clearly be a better option defensively, and Grags isn't providing enough offense to warrant being kept in the lineup, let alone on the 1st PP unit. Additionally, this team has NO killer instinct. A good deal of that's on the players, but Lindy needs to find a way to get a message through to the them that they cannot let up and give away wins. We get it-it happens from time to time. Teams come back. It's impossible to dominate a team for a full 60 minutes. You get some bad breaks. But when you constantly blow 2 goal leads and when we blew a 3 goal lead last year at home against philly in the playoffs...:help: He's a good/borderline great coach, but maybe his message has grown old.

struckbyaparkedcar 11-30-2011 10:33 PM

Passed it. Lindy needs put up an impressive playoffs for me to even consider supporting him being back next year.

drinking bleach irl 11-30-2011 10:34 PM

I wouldn't be mad to see him replaced with someone who could lead the team better.

barcs 11-30-2011 10:40 PM

One would think that the longest tenured coach would have a reason to be the longest tenured coach. Then again, Jeff Fisher and Jerry Sloan didn't win jack.

sba 11-30-2011 10:48 PM

about 3 years ago

Yummy Tree Sap 11-30-2011 10:59 PM

If they'd have brought in Kevin Dineen over Lindy, I'd probably have been all right with that. As it stands, I don't think there's any potential coach I'd take.

omglolnub 11-30-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummy Tree Sap (Post 40236311)
If they'd have brought in Kevin Dineen over Lindy, I'd probably have been all right with that. As it stands, I don't think there's any potential coach I'd take.

Yeah, that kinda slipped through their fingers :(

drinking bleach irl 11-30-2011 11:09 PM

All-out offense Boudreau would be fun as hell.

Timbo Slice 11-30-2011 11:11 PM

In the next two years, the Sabres have to get to the 3rd round, at the least. If not, Lindy should be axed.

Squantosawuss 12-01-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 40237323)
All-out offense Boudreau would be fun as hell.

Agreed.

The 1st intermission lockeroom talk would go something like:

"Okay, so we're down by one f'ing goal, so what? I see all you guys hangin' your f'ing heads like somebody just f'ing died! It's just one f'ing goal! Surely we can get one f'ing goal in the next 40 f'ing minutes! Goose, ram f'ing Lucic's head into the f'ing boards if you have to. Pommers, aim to the left of the outside f'ing post and to the right of Thomas's f'ing chest and shoot the f'ing puck. Gerbe, keep playin' like youre nine f'ing feet tall...even bite Chara in the f'ing nutsac if you have to. We do all these f'ing things and we're gonna win a lot of f'ing hockey games!"

HiddenInLight 12-01-2011 08:36 AM

Boudreau is already off the market. If this team doesn't make the playoffs this year Id bet ruff is gone. If they do then he gets another year as long as they make a decent showing of themselves.

minuteater 12-01-2011 08:55 AM

Edit: I'm with LDS

He needs to get them to the second round of the playoffs at least this year.

fing0rz 12-01-2011 09:13 AM

He has always worked with very limited resources.

Now he has no excuses so I'm willing to give him a few years.

I don't really have a limit since I'm not a hockey professional and can't judge that stuff, but I'd he keeps winning and gets us to the playoffs, I'm happy.

1point21Gigawatts 12-01-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fing0rz (Post 40251665)
He has always worked with very limited resources.

Now he has no excuses so I'm willing to give him a few years.

I don't really have a limit since I'm not a hockey professional and can't judge that stuff, but I'd he keeps winning and gets us to the playoffs, I'm happy.

I agree with this completely. 13-14 years behind the bench are reset now with the new management. Give him another year or two, if they fail to even come close to winning the cup within the 3 year plan, then unload lindy.

littletonhockeycoach 12-01-2011 10:21 AM

my limit vs. management's

Overall, I'll give him a three year window to get them to the finals. I.e.; sustained improvement over last year's finish. 2nd round this season, Conference finals next and Cup finals in the 3rd. Assumes mgmt fills holes with better talent.

But if the players continue to lack intensity, aren't responding or listening to the message, its over for me. (Which is my biggest compliant with the current team and coach.)

Recognizing that mgmts limit is the only one that counts. His new contract told me that Lindy is their guy and that nothing short of a total team collapse (a la the Caps or Ducks) would cause Terry and Ted to rethink this. I think they would ship players before firing the coach.

HarryNealesGarden 12-01-2011 10:32 AM

Lindy, like it or not, is going to go down as one of the best coaches in NHL history. He worked wonders for years with incredibly limited resources.

Now, he might not be the guy to coach a team full of highly-paid mercenaries (Laviolette does a pretty solid job of that), but Lindy has shown time and again that he is a phenomenal coach. Literally EVERY game a fan of another team comes in and is like "god, I wish Lindy were our coach".

As far as I'm concerned, he has a solid 3-4 more seasons to show he can adapt to a new management philosophy. He's earned it.

And given the chameleon-like nature of Lindy's tenure (gritty/all trap/collapse on Hasek -> wide open run-n-gun -> lockdown prevent -> stretch the ice), I don't really have any reason to think he won't be just as good at adapting to the new surroundings.

If he was fired he'd have half the NHL at his doorstep with offers within 3 days. You don't just let guys like that go.

vcv 12-01-2011 10:32 AM

He needs to make progress in the playoffs every year until he wins the Cup. Otherwise he should be gone.

Myllz 12-01-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden (Post 40254487)
Lindy, like it or not, is going to go down as one of the best coaches in NHL history. He worked wonders for years with incredibly limited resources.

Now, he might not be the guy to coach a team full of highly-paid mercenaries (Laviolette does a pretty solid job of that), but Lindy has shown time and again that he is a phenomenal coach. Literally EVERY game a fan of another team comes in and is like "god, I wish Lindy were our coach".

As far as I'm concerned, he has a solid 3-4 more seasons to show he can adapt to a new management philosophy. He's earned it.

And given the chameleon-like nature of Lindy's tenure (gritty/all trap/collapse on Hasek -> wide open run-n-gun -> lockdown prevent -> stretch the ice), I don't really have any reason to think he won't be just as good at adapting to the new surroundings.

If he was fired he'd have half the NHL at his doorstep with offers within 3 days. You don't just let guys like that go.

What happens to him after he leaves here is irrelevant. If you don't believe he can get it done here, you let him go. Period.

minuteater 12-01-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach (Post 40254109)
Overall, I'll give him a three year window to get them to the finals. I.e.; sustained improvement over last year's finish. 2nd round this season, Conference finals next and Cup finals in the 3rd. Assumes mgmt fills holes with better talent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volatile (Post 40254521)
He needs to make progress in the playoffs every year until he wins the Cup. Otherwise he should be gone.

This. Pegula has pretty much set this timetable by saying we'll have a cup in three years.