HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   No Detroit team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=104376)

ALF AmericanLionsFan 09-17-2004 11:51 PM

No Detroit team

Now it looks like there will be no Detroit team in place because they have no place to play. I saw this in the Free Press today or the Detroit News. I thought they had a deal with the Silverdome? What a freaking joke. :shakehead

GKJ 09-18-2004 10:17 AM

exactly how many teams do the WHA have right now?

Kravitch 09-18-2004 11:29 AM

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yet ANOTHER team that

A: Has their roster together
B: Has a website in place
C: Has their logo prepared
D: Marketing single, pairs, and seasons tickets

and POOF!

Dizzy 09-18-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
exactly how many teams do the WHA have right now?

According to an article in the National Post today there are 5 teams; Toronto, Hamilton, Orlando, Dallas and Miami.

Licentia 09-18-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Now it looks like there will be no Detroit team in place because they have no place to play. I saw this in the Free Press today or the Detroit News. I thought they had a deal with the Silverdome? What a freaking joke. :shakehead

I can't find anything to back up what you said. Do you have a link for this info? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to see.

SkoulasOut4theSummer 09-18-2004 04:10 PM

Didn't Toronto and Hamilton already pull out of the league? :dunno:

Licentia 09-18-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evasuk21

I think they still are alive, they just don't have places to play.

This league sure is a joke, isn't it? :lol

Licentia 09-18-2004 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Galvin

Didn't they already start construction on the stadium to prepare it for hockey.??? :dunno: I just can't believe they didn't already have a lease. Didn't Dallas's owner say that both Dallas and Detroit were the only teams to have leases? :dunno:

ALF AmericanLionsFan 09-18-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licentia
I can't find anything to back up what you said. Do you have a link for this info? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to see.

Here's the link http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/04...c01-276782.htm

Dizzy 09-18-2004 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evasuk21

Toronto is under a new ownership group and will supposedly have a deal worked out with the Ricoh Coliseum by Monday. Hamilton apparently says their playing at the Copps Coliseum but the Bulldogs say they're not. :shakehead

Licentia 09-20-2004 01:17 PM

Good grief. I thought I already saw pictures of them setting up the Silverdome for hockey. Maybe the article is wrong?? :dunno:

Licentia 09-20-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piggy2
Toronto is under a new ownership group and will supposedly have a deal worked out with the Ricoh Coliseum by Monday. Hamilton apparently says their playing at the Copps Coliseum but the Bulldogs say they're not. :shakehead

If one of these cities can't negotiate a lease for a stadium, they should move to Quebec. Quebec seems like it would be a much more profitable place to play than Toronto or Hamilton, just because of the Leafs.

Kravitch 09-20-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licentia
If one of these cities can't negotiate a lease for a stadium, they should move to Quebec. Quebec seems like it would be a much more profitable place to play than Toronto or Hamilton, just because of the Leafs.

They terminated the Nordiks a while ago, not point trying again.

I am Jack's Fish 09-20-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piggy2
According to an article in the National Post today there are 5 teams; Toronto, Hamilton, Orlando, Dallas and Miami.

Odd, my ex-boss from the Manatees who works for the Miami Arena now says the WHA stopped calling them two months ago, and that there is no deal whatsoever in place.

Also, Orlando is dead as well and the city told the arena to plan on not putting ice in the building until next year.

WHA is DOA. I know since I worked for some of the people involved in the WHA when they were doing stuff with the WHA2.

Kravitch 09-20-2004 03:30 PM

So when does the league officially announce it's termination?

ALF AmericanLionsFan 09-20-2004 07:50 PM

Seriously they just need to announce that is not going to happen, but then again they never really announce anything so why should they start now. :dunno: