HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Interest in Carlyle or Mike Foligno? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1043813)

NoClue4u 12-01-2011 09:40 AM

Interest in Carlyle or Mike Foligno?

Both coaches have been fired from Anaheim. I don't know much about either as coaches, but am curious as to what others on the board think. So what are your opinions on them and should Pegula and Black try to bring them into the organization?

jBuds 12-01-2011 09:44 AM

Where ? Why ?

Chainshot 12-01-2011 09:45 AM

Short answer - Carlyle yes. Foligno no.

Zip15 12-01-2011 09:47 AM

I'd like Carlyle to be Lindy's top assistant, if Ruff stays. But I don't think anything happens mid-season.

punkr0x 12-01-2011 09:51 AM

I like Carlyle, I think he would be good for this team. But "Lindy Ruff ain't going nowhere."

HiddenInLight 12-01-2011 09:54 AM

Hooray! Another fire lindy thread!

Mellifleur 12-01-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoClue4u (Post 40252575)
Both coaches have been fired from Anaheim. I don't know much about either as coaches, but am curious as to what others on the board think. So what are your opinions on them and should Pegula and Black try to bring them into the organization?

In what capacity ?

I don't see Ruff being moved at this point in time, judging by the Ted Black interview this morning on WGR. He acknowledged they could be better but felt they were still doing well. He did give that answer, we have the 2nd highest win total in the league line answer and stated they were not panicking so I don't see any coaching/upper management type moves being made at this point in time.

littletonhockeycoach 12-01-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 40252775)
Short answer - Carlyle yes. Foligno no.

Tell me more about your sentiments vis a vis Foligno.........

I admit upfront that I'm baised as Foligno was one of my hero's as a player. Got the chance to meet him when he was an Asst for the Avs. Maybe it was the talent on the team but everyone felt he was a quality asst. here. Believe he did a respectable job with Hersey when he did a tour there.

Also had the opportunity to interact with son Nick during youth tryouts and stuff when he was a peewee. Saw a lot of the old man in the kid. Really liked his intensity and skill level. Marcus was behind Nick but believe he's the better player.

I would agree that having a Dad around mgmt/coachng wise with a kid on the team is not a good idea however. Lacroix tried that with his kid and it was bad for the dressing room.

WhoIsJimBob 12-01-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowOni (Post 40253203)
In what capacity ?

I don't see Ruff being moved at this point in time, judging by the Ted Black interview this morning on WGR. He acknowledged they could be better but felt they were still doing well. He did give that answer, we have the 2nd highest win total in the league line answer and stated they were not panicking so I don't see any coaching/upper management type moves being made at this point in time.

Could Carlyle help as a PP consultant?

Chainshot 12-01-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach (Post 40253313)
Tell me more about your sentiments vis a vis Foligno.........

I admit upfront that I'm baised as Foligno was one of my hero's as a player. Got the chance to meet him when he was an Asst for the Avs. Maybe it was the talent on the team but everyone felt he was a quality asst. here. Believe he did a respectable job with Hersey when he did a tour there.

Also had the opportunity to interact with son Nick during youth tryouts and stuff when he was a peewee. Saw a lot of the old man in the kid. Really liked his intensity and skill level. Marcus was behind Nick but believe he's the better player.

I would agree that having a Dad around mgmt/coachng wise with a kid on the team is not a good idea however. Lacroix tried that with his kid and it was bad for the dressing room.

I quietly am hoping for less Sabre-oriented moves in the front office and behind the bench. I loved Mike as a player, liked some of what he's done off the ice as a head coach in Hershey and some of what he's done in Sudbury. It's not about him being a poor assistant or not liking the guy but that in the current struture of the team, he would be yet another former Sabre and friend of Lindy's behind the bench. If Lindy was gone, hey, I'd be open to just about anyone the new head coach looks for as an assistant. But with Ruff as the coach, I'd rather they look for some fresher blood.

Then there is the whole thing with Marcus which as you mentioned can get sticky.

Carlyle on the other hand, has HC experience and the covetted Cup ring. He's 7-4 in playoff series over his career, getting into the second round three times in five visits. He'd be a new voice in the 'room and his Duck teams have tended to play a heavy style that I happen to enjoy.

HarryNealesGarden 12-01-2011 10:24 AM

Carlyle would be awesome as an assistant, but in order to bring him on somebody would have to go (unless we're going to pay 4 assistants... which I guess isn't all that unreasonable).

He'd be awesome behind the bench but the guy is too good to be an assistant. Somebody will hire him as a HC.

littletonhockeycoach 12-01-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 40253861)
I quietly am hoping for less Sabre-oriented moves in the front office and behind the bench. I loved Mike as a player, liked some of what he's done off the ice as a head coach in Hershey and some of what he's done in Sudbury. It's not about him being a poor assistant or not liking the guy but that in the current struture of the team, he would be yet another former Sabre and friend of Lindy's behind the bench. If Lindy was gone, hey, I'd be open to just about anyone the new head coach looks for as an assistant. But with Ruff as the coach, I'd rather they look for some fresher blood.

Then there is the whole thing with Marcus which as you mentioned can get sticky.

Carlyle on the other hand, has HC experience and the covetted Cup ring. He's 7-4 in playoff series over his career, getting into the second round three times in five visits. He'd be a new voice in the 'room and his Duck teams have tended to play a heavy style that I happen to enjoy.

Good logic. FoR (Friend of Ruff) would be a problem.

Agree about Carlyle's style and think that could fit pretty well with the kids we're seeing up here from Rochester. What a turn around Sabres squad that would be! Thanks.

Sabretip 12-02-2011 12:46 PM

I think Darren Dregehr raised a strong possibility on NHL Live the other day when he speculated that Carlyle could end up replacing Claude Noel in Winnipeg at some point this season - not only did Noel seem an inexperienced replacement for Ramsay but Carlyle's resume as a Cup-winning coach, former AHL coaching time in Winnipeg with the Moose and a playing career with the original Jets' franchise all make him a logical choice there.

Sabretip 12-02-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach (Post 40254361)
Agree about Carlyle's style and think that could fit pretty well with the kids we're seeing up here from Rochester. What a turn around Sabres squad that would be! Thanks.

According to the local coverage since the Carlyle/Boudreau changes, many of the Ducks stars were unhappy with Carlyle's system that emphasized cycles within the zone and generating offense that way; Boudreau has apparently said he intends to shift the Ducks' system to one that generates scoring off the rush.

Based on that, I don't know that Carlyle's style would be a good thing - it sounds like a complete switch from what Ruff and Rolston have been teaching and implementing with the current organization.

Play4Miracles* 12-02-2011 12:49 PM

I can't imagine Randy Carlyle will be unemployed for very long.

Sabretip 12-02-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play4Miracles (Post 40315089)
I can't imagine Randy Carlyle will be unemployed for very long.

I can't either - Carlyle's said that he wants to take "some time" to step back but he'll probably be on the radar in Columbus, Montreal, Long Island and Colorado, all of whom have struggled and had reports of coaching changes being possible.

5 Minute Major 12-02-2011 01:41 PM

I don't think a Stanley Cup winning coach will be satisfied with being anyone's top assistant unless we are talking about an Olympic style hockey tournament.

littletonhockeycoach 12-02-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 40315079)
According to the local coverage since the Carlyle/Boudreau changes, many of the Ducks stars were unhappy with Carlyle's system that emphasized cycles within the zone and generating offense that way; Boudreau has apparently said he intends to shift the Ducks' system to one that generates scoring off the rush.

Based on that, I don't know that Carlyle's style would be a good thing - it sounds like a complete switch from what Ruff and Rolston have been teaching and implementing with the current organization.

That's fine. We can disagree. What intrigues me more about Carlyle has been the Duck'ss physical style of play over the years. I think Randy's had some influence on that noting that the Ducks have a lot big bodies on the team. I'm a fan of the cycle and might suggest that the offensive system Ruff and Rolston implemented to date hasn't struck me as having had a tremendous payoff at this point.