HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gaustad or Hecht: who would you rather lock up? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1044541)

jBuds 12-02-2011 01:29 AM

Gaustad or Hecht: who would you rather lock up?

If you had to pick one to lock up to a multi year deal, which of the two would you choose?

And why? Price? Age? Value? Production?

Corto 12-02-2011 01:34 AM

Not sure Hecht has 5 years left in him, even 3... And you guys know I like the guy.

2 year deal? I'd say Hecht. (at a decent price, 2m per or something)
3-5 years? Goose.

jBuds 12-02-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corto (Post 40301881)
Not sure Hecht has 5 years left in him, even 3... And you guys know I like the guy.

3-5 years? Goose.

Tweaked to avoid these answers :) maybe I should just ask who is more valuable or tougher to replace? Who would be missed more, maybe? :D

buffalowing88 12-02-2011 01:56 AM

Goose

OpethianSabre20 12-02-2011 02:28 AM

No disrespect to Gaustad. He's a solid bottom-6 center who's exceptionally good on face-offs and does great work on the PK, but if I had to pick only one of them, I'd have to go with Hecht.

He's a good glue-guy for whatever line he's on because of his defensive prowess and work along the boards. Besides that, he's a great PKer, he's good for scoring the odd goal here and there, and unlike Gaustad, Hecht is capable of playing in the top-6.

Yummy Tree Sap 12-02-2011 02:33 AM

Hard for me to say at this moment. Gaustad hasn't impressed me a great deal this season and Hecht hasn't played a great deal this season. Hecht's few games have been really good, maybe as good or better than I've ever seen him, but I don't expect him to stay that way.

I'd probably go with Jochen though.

dire wolf 12-02-2011 02:34 AM

Right now, Hecht, but age is a big factor. Need more info.

Duddy 12-02-2011 02:38 AM

neither, both should be replaced

just for this thread sakes, I take Goose.

Corto 12-02-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jBuds (Post 40301995)
Tweaked to avoid these answers :) maybe I should just ask who is more valuable or tougher to replace? Who would be missed more, maybe? :D

In that, who's more valuable and tougher to replace, Hecht.
I love me some Goose, but apart from a sub-par season in 08-09, Hecht's been a rock for Buffalo for nearly a decade now.

The guy's just really versatile, not many players in the league have been used in so many roles and done well in pretty much all of them.

Which is why I'm in favor of Regier going after a younger guy like Nielsen, who's definitely got the tools to be a long-term "new" Hecht after Jochen's done.

That said, again, if it's a 2-year deal, I'd pick Hecht.
Anything more than that, Goose.

Mergus merganser 12-02-2011 04:20 AM

Is there a neither option? Bring in fresh blood.

jBuds 12-02-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mergus merganser (Post 40303365)
Is there a neither option? Bring in fresh blood.

I guess you missed the "if you had to pick one" part…

… for purposes of this thread...

HiddenInLight 12-02-2011 06:00 AM

Gaustad. When was the last time hecht played a full season....most often hurt player now that TC is gone.

ImpressedDAHagent 12-02-2011 06:07 AM

leino might be capable of replacing hecht (offensively of course) mccormick could also step in and play a similar game to gaustad. I guess it depends on what we see from them.

punkr0x 12-02-2011 06:23 AM

Put me on the neither list, both of them would have to take a significant pay cut to be worth resigning and I don't see that happening.

If they were both willing to take a pay cut, Jochen for sure. He's a more versatile player, at this point Goose is pretty one dimensional.

WhoIsJimBob 12-02-2011 06:31 AM

It would all depend on length of the deal and the dollars involved.

If it's either guy on a 1 year deal for $2M, I would probably lean towards Hecht.

If it's either guy on a 5 year deal for $3M per, I would probably lean towards Gaustad.

Hecht is a better all around player. But, Gaustad is younger and more durable.

At the end of the day, I think that it's mroe likely to keep Gaustad long term and have it work out. But, I also don't see this as an either/or situation.

Reddawg 12-02-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duddy (Post 40302727)
neither, both should be replaced

Seconded

joshjull 12-02-2011 09:13 AM

Hecht is more valuable or the two but due to his age and recent injuries Im thinking 1-2 years.

But whats best for the team is to resign both.

Myllz 12-02-2011 09:38 AM

If I had to choose one, Gaustad.

Buffalo87 12-02-2011 09:39 AM

Really really tough to decide but for the purpose of this thread, I'll take Hecht by a hair. I think Hecht is a great glue guy and really does a lot of things on the ice that go un-noticed. Though I do not think Hecht has many years left in him so it'd have to be a short contract.

Chainshot 12-02-2011 09:42 AM

I'd rather not have Hecht for more than a year, so if that's the criteria... Gaustad.

JOHNBOY 12-02-2011 10:25 AM

Jochen Hecht, I choose you!

Sabretip 12-02-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corto (Post 40301881)

3-5 years? Goose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 (Post 40302599)
No disrespect to Gaustad. He's a solid bottom-6 center who's exceptionally good on face-offs and does great work on the PK, but if I had to pick only one of them, I'd have to go with Hecht.

He's a good glue-guy for whatever line he's on because of his defensive prowess and work along the boards. Besides that, he's a great PKer, he's good for scoring the odd goal here and there, and unlike Gaustad, Hecht is capable of playing in the top-6.

Excellent and accurate posts - I agree with every part of each! ;)

michaelsaas 12-02-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 40304165)
It would all depend on length of the deal and the dollars involved.

If it's either guy on a 1 year deal for $2M, I would probably lean towards Hecht.

If it's either guy on a 5 year deal for $3M per, I would probably lean towards Gaustad.

Hecht is a better all around player. But, Gaustad is younger and more durable.

At the end of the day, I think that it's mroe likely to keep Gaustad long term and have it work out. But, I also don't see this as an either/or situation.

My sentiments exactly.

Jason Lewis 12-02-2011 02:01 PM

Every team needs a guy like Goose.

A responsible bottom 6 center. I always though of him as like a younger Michal Handzus.

Don't rely on him for more then 15 goals.

Hecht is 34, Goose 29. As much as i like Hecht, Goose would be the better investment at this point.

brian_griffin 12-02-2011 11:13 PM

Hecht for 1-2 more at less salary and cap.
Gaustad for 2-4 at less cap than current.

But as for whom I'd really like to lock up, jessica alba. Oh wait. We're not talking bout that...