HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cory Sarich has requested a trade (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1044699)

xECK29x 12-02-2011 09:52 AM

Cory Sarich has requested a trade

https://twitter.com/fan960boomer

As per Rhett Warrener, #flames D Cory Sarich has requested a trade.

Height: 6-4 Weight: 207lbs
Shoots: R
3.6M cap hit UFA after this year

---

Would be a welcome addition to the island if we can get him for cheap, his value can't be too high (4th or lower pick I imagine). He has connections with Staois and would be that RHS we need to go with Streit or at least he is a major upgrade on Staois who can be slotted down to his proper minutes to replace Mottau.

Wedregast 12-02-2011 10:07 AM

Why does he want to leave Calgary? Would he want to even come here? If we traded for him, would he want to bail on us as well?

If he'd actually want to be here, then I'd be good with trying to obtain him. Otherwise it's best to leave him be.

leeroggy 12-02-2011 10:19 AM

If he was pretty good (he's been a healthy scratch a lot this year) we could have traded Comeau for him.

With Giordano on IR why would Calgary let him go if he could help them?

Symon Asher 12-02-2011 12:19 PM

I assume he wants to go to a playoff contender. That leaves the Isles out.

KingLio21093 12-02-2011 12:21 PM

Yeah, if he wants out, it usually means he wants to go to a team that wins.

SLAPSHOT723 12-02-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLio21093 (Post 40313863)
Yeah, if he wants out, it usually means he wants to go to a team that wins.

That and no way Wang takes that salary.

BillD 12-02-2011 12:51 PM

He used to be a very reliable, physical defenseman that would block a lot of shots, not get out of position, and could throw mitts pretty good when he had to.
IDK if he has slowed, I think he is 36 or so.

13th Floor 12-02-2011 12:58 PM

Yea, as it has been said, people that request a trade usually want to get to a better situation, not a worse one. I want out of my job shoveling horse ****, but not to go shovel elephant ****.

There's a reason why the majority of our pick ups have been people who are happy to just have an NHL job. People who were waived and not picked up or were out of the league.

luki here 12-02-2011 01:02 PM

but he has been a healthy scratch a lot of the season. perhaps he just wants a change in management?

he hasnt shown anything that would interest a possible contender.

JPIsles21 12-02-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symon Asher (Post 40313789)
I assume he wants to go to a playoff contender. That leaves the Isles out.

Yes, because a dman that has been scratched for 9 of his team's 34 games, having 1 point in 15 games, averaging 13:29 in the games he has played, and is on a bottom 10 team has the leverage to decide to get traded to a playoff contender.

This is a change of scenery request. Sarich just wants to play. Question is if he's good enough to be an improvement. Considering we have Eaton and Mottau, the answer is almost always yes regarding our blueline.

PWJunior 12-02-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPIsles21 (Post 40317215)
Yes, because a dman that has been scratched for 9 of his team's 34 games, having 1 point in 15 games, averaging 13:29 in the games he has played, and is on a bottom 10 team has the leverage to decide to get traded to a playoff contender.

This is a change of scenery request. Sarich just wants to play. Question is if he's good enough to be an improvement. Considering we have Eaton and Mottau, the answer is almost always yes regarding our blueline.

Very good point. He's a UFA at the end of the season so it's hard to impress if you're not on the ice. It's costing him money. I wouldn't mind us acquiring him. Agreed that he is an upgrade over Mottau, Eaton, and probably Staios.

It does make a lot of sense. Calgary needs to unload some salary after the Comeau acquisition. Sarich is obviously not happy and Calgary must not be happy with his play. He does fit a need for us and from what I remember of his play, he's an upgrade. He'd probably come pretty cheap and his salary cap hit helps us and gives the team flexibility. Maybe Snow can actually do the right thing and send Nino back to Portland. Wouldn't hold my breath on that though.

IceAce 12-02-2011 03:19 PM

Nobody that asks for a trade out of their current city, wants to come to the Islanders.

kasper11 12-02-2011 03:38 PM

Ummm.....there is probably a reason that he is not playing in Calgary. Most likely its because he can't play anymore.

seafoam 12-02-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceAce (Post 40321101)
Nobody that asks for a trade out of their current city, wants to come to the Islanders.

/thread :cry:

StrongIslanders90 12-02-2011 03:59 PM

Would love him.....Flames should punish him and send him here....After all we gave them Comeau

Sidney the Kidney 12-02-2011 04:54 PM

Sarich always struck me as an Andy Sutton-type -- Big, physical guy who is good for a big highlight-reel hit once every couple of games, but whose overall game was only so-so. Ideal 5th or 6th guy, but not someone you want logging more than about 15 or 16 minutes a night.

number72 12-02-2011 05:25 PM

Wang would need to send back salary.
Comeau for Sarich would have worked for both teams.

kirant 12-02-2011 07:00 PM

Flames fan here...thought I'd fill you in on a bit of what's going on with Sarich and maybe provide some insight as to whether or not you want him.

Sarich is, bluntly, NOT a 3.6 million dollar man and is just slightly faster than Staios. This puts him out of position sometimes. He only provides limited contributions in the offensive side and sometimes treats the puck like a bomb and holds onto it for less than a few seconds. However, he's also one of the grittiest players I've ever seen. He had an iron man streak going until Keenan scratched him for the sake of being mean...he even ended up playing in our playoff series against Chicago despite injury to his foot. Things got so bad that he even laced up in special made skates (iron casing) because we were so down on D. This type of mentality is important and something I'm not sure you have on the Islanders in great quantity (though what am I saying? All we have in Calgary for that type of leadership is Giordano!). He is also good defensively (though the aforementioned injury to his foot seems to be nagging him a bit, slowing his skating to down Staios-esc levels), plays mean, and can provide game changing hits (he has a small collection of hits similar to his on Marleau). Is he worth 3.6 million these days? Not really...probably valued at half that max. Given where you have Staios, I think he's probably a 2nd pairing guy to you, while to us he's simply a salary anchor and the last part of the old guard...whether or not that's a good thing is up to interpretation.

A major red flag I'd watch out for his his combination of aggressiveness and lack of foot speed. On more than a few occasions, he's miss at hit or screwed up a play in the neutral zone and led to a 2 on 1. On the other hand, if he connects with those, it often leads to a big momentum change. He's generally better about it in his own end, but if a fast elusive forward is going around him and isn't afraid of getting hit, he can struggle a bit.

The reason he's so expendable is that Feaster has started a transition on defence. He's changing from the mediocre foot speed of Darryl Sutter's system, which used a lot of mean checking D (Regehr, Sarich) and has started to bring in skaters who may or may not know what the term hit means (Butler, Smith). Brent Sutter seems to enjoy playing a transitional game as well and since Smith has been a huge surprise to use, Sarich is stuck sitting in the bleachers.

HyeDray 12-02-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xECK29x (Post 40308277)
https://twitter.com/fan960boomer

As per Rhett Warrener, #flames D Cory Sarich has requested a trade.

Height: 6-4 Weight: 207lbs
Shoots: R
3.6M cap hit UFA after this year

---

Would be a welcome addition to the island if we can get him for cheap, his value can't be too high (4th or lower pick I imagine). He has connections with Staois and would be that RHS we need to go with Streit or at least he is a major upgrade on Staois who can be slotted down to his proper minutes to replace Mottau.

Ive been a fan of Sarich.

Here is the trouble...

1) He has a full NMC. He would need to waive it to come here. Staios could help sell it for sure.

2) He is a UFA after the season. Low risk for this year, but you basically lose him, unless he can be had for perhaps a 2-3 years deal. he is 33 years old, and has a solid health record which has to be a consideration for the Isles.

The ideal for me would be this...

a) Send one of Eaton or Mottau (a serviceable but cheaper player who can take Sarich's spot) and a conditional 4th round pick.

The conditional pick changes to our 3rd rounder if NYI's sign him beyond this season.

b) Sarich signs for a minimum of 2 seasons assuming he plays well, and fills his roll which to me would be a physical shut down defender who can clear the crease. Signing him for two more years gives players like de Haan and Donovan time.

Im a little miffed that a Sarich for Comeau type of deal was not in the making.

HyeDray 12-02-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirant (Post 40328107)
Flames fan here...thought I'd fill you in on a bit of what's going on with Sarich and maybe provide some insight as to whether or not you want him.

Sarich is, bluntly, NOT a 3.6 million dollar man and is just slightly faster than Staios. This puts him out of position sometimes. He only provides limited contributions in the offensive side and sometimes treats the puck like a bomb and holds onto it for less than a few seconds. However, he's also one of the grittiest players I've ever seen. He had an iron man streak going until Keenan scratched him for the sake of being mean...he even ended up playing in our playoff series against Chicago despite injury to his foot. Things got so bad that he even laced up in special made skates (iron casing) because we were so down on D. This type of mentality is important and something I'm not sure you have on the Islanders in great quantity (though what am I saying? All we have in Calgary for that type of leadership is Giordano!). He is also good defensively (though the aforementioned injury to his foot seems to be nagging him a bit, slowing his skating to down Staios-esc levels), plays mean, and can provide game changing hits (he has a small collection of hits similar to his on Marleau). Is he worth 3.6 million these days? Not really...probably valued at half that max. Given where you have Staios, I think he's probably a 2nd pairing guy to you, while to us he's simply a salary anchor and the last part of the old guard...whether or not that's a good thing is up to interpretation.

A major red flag I'd watch out for his his combination of aggressiveness and lack of foot speed. On more than a few occasions, he's miss at hit or screwed up a play in the neutral zone and led to a 2 on 1. On the other hand, if he connects with those, it often leads to a big momentum change. He's generally better about it in his own end, but if a fast elusive forward is going around him and isn't afraid of getting hit, he can struggle a bit.

The reason he's so expendable is that Feaster has started a transition on defence. He's changing from the mediocre foot speed of Darryl Sutter's system, which used a lot of mean checking D (Regehr, Sarich) and has started to bring in skaters who may or may not know what the term hit means (Butler, Smith). Brent Sutter seems to enjoy playing a transitional game as well and since Smith has been a huge surprise to use, Sarich is stuck sitting in the bleachers.

Really helpful...thanks!!!!!

Id still see about making a deal for him as a NYI fan. While the speed is something to be mindful of, I think he ads the grit you talk about that we need. He also brings big game experience having won a cup with the bolts in 04 I believe.

Doug Height 12-02-2011 08:06 PM

Send the Flames a late rounder for Sarich, then send Nino back to Portland, as we wouldn't need his cap hit to reach the floor anymore.

A Pointed Stick 12-02-2011 09:28 PM

TRUTH: Sarich would have to die first, then second Garth would have to steal his remains and have them flown here at midnight before Sarich ever agrees to play for this clap trap BS of an organization and it's now-masochistically cheap owner.

Bauer Warrior* 12-03-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 40315149)
He used to be a very reliable, physical defenseman that would block a lot of shots, not get out of position, and could throw mitts pretty good when he had to.
IDK if he has slowed, I think he is 36 or so.

He was drafted in '96, just like Marty Reasoner. We don't need any more sabre tooths. Fans have to get over this "someone's available, so let's get him" mentality. I don't want Sarich.

leaponover 12-03-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirant (Post 40328107)

Thanks for this. Nice to get some inside info on the situation :)

leaponover 12-03-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior (Post 40348175)
He was drafted in '96, just like Marty Reasoner. We don't need any more sabre tooths. Fans have to get over this "someone's available, so let's get him" mentality. I don't want Sarich.

+1 to this.... Isle fans would take anybody's garbage at this point, just like Calgary took our garbage. I would almost bet that Calgary offered a trade that had Sarich part of it and Snow didn't bite.