HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   OT: Outdoor rinks in the city (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1047001)

A_wildstabatanything 12-05-2011 04:57 AM

OT: Outdoor rinks in the city

I'm looking for some recommendations here. Which ones usually have the best ice? Where's the best place to find a pickup game Sun-Thurs?

None of the rinks in my area seem to be open yet. Does anyone here know of one that's ready?

Wpg Jets Fan 12-05-2011 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything (Post 40447371)
I'm looking for some recommendations here. Which ones usually have the best ice? Where's the best place to find a pickup game Sun-Thurs?

None of the rinks in my area seem to be open yet. Does anyone here know of one that's ready?

I grew up is St. Vital. The rinks in that area were always well taken care of. Try ;

Windsor Community Club
Norberry Community Club
Greendell CC
Glenlee CC
Dakota Cc

Hammer Slammer 12-05-2011 05:18 AM

I'd also like to know when some rinks around the city are open. A few of us were talking in the OT thread last month that we should get together and start up some pickup games. However, I don't know if that's welcomed or not. :dunno:

If we can find a rink that everyone can get to, I think that'd be fun.

I'm in River Heights and live within walking distance of Earl Grey CC and Lord Roberts CC. I'll check those out this week.

Pavelec4MVP 12-05-2011 06:23 AM

I think they may be flooding them... but none are open that I have seen.
I drive by Chalmers every morning... and they had the rink lights on at 5:30am most of last week.

Usually rinks dont open until mid december. Depending on how cold it has been out.
So they should be getting close.

voyageur 12-05-2011 06:41 AM

I think because of the weather, and the recession, there has been some hesitation to start the flooding this year. I have checked out a few rinks, in Transcona, and St Boniface, and none have begun flooding yet. I did get word that they have started to ice Norberry though, so keep your eyes open. Can wait to start playing too!

OgoBogo 12-05-2011 07:45 AM

Westridge has ice.

No Name Poster 12-05-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OgoBogo (Post 40448667)
Westridge has ice.

I played at Westridge yesterday. There were still soft spots in one corner, but the rest of the ice was really quite good.
One of the better rinks for pickup games used to be Crescentwood on Corydon. Not sure how it is now though.

Rsyl84 12-05-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 40447887)
I think they may be flooding them... but none are open that I have seen.
I drive by Chalmers every morning... and they had the rink lights on at 5:30am most of last week.

Usually rinks dont open until mid december. Depending on how cold it has been out.
So they should be getting close.

I play Spongee in the Kildonan league and we got pushed back from this week to next week for start times due to the weather, I would guess most of the rest of the city would be facing similar situations.

Winakwa is usually pretty good, 3 rinks and hardly ever in use, two on concrete and one on grass.

I'm not much of a skater, but if anyone wants to play a pick up game of spongee I'm all ears :)

Dallas Stars 12-05-2011 11:40 AM

I'm not sure which rinks have ice yet, but usually the Bronx is a great place to have a pickup game.

Jet 12-05-2011 11:44 AM

Can't wait! I find it harder and harder every year to find good places to play outdoors shinny.

Definitely interested in skating with youse guys

Pavelec4MVP 12-05-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Stars (Post 40455321)
I'm not sure which rinks have ice yet, but usually the Bronx is a great place to have a pickup game.

I agree
Since it was rebuilt, it is a fantastic place to go for a skate

Damascus 12-05-2011 11:53 AM

I never learned how to skate when I was a kid. Last year I got skates for Christmas and tried to learn by myself. I'm really looking forward for the outdoor rinks to open up in my area so I can continue to learn. My life goal in life is to one day play a full game.

Puckschmuck* 12-05-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 40455475)
Can't wait! I find it harder and harder every year to find good places to play outdoors shinny.

Definitely interested in skating with youse guys

I'd come too, but I don't think ETS has a route that would take me there :(

DarthMonty 12-05-2011 12:15 PM

As mentioned above, Bronx Park C.C. usually has awesome ice, as does Sturgeon Heights (Rita Street - formerly Sturgeon Creek C.C.) and Varsity View C.C. - probably none of them are open for skating yet.

I play shinny some weekends at Heritage-Victoria; the ice usually isn't great, but it's in my hood.

jetkarma 12-05-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan (Post 40447413)
I grew up is St. Vital. The rinks in that area were always well taken care of. Try ;

Windsor Community Club
Norberry Community Club
Greendell CC
Glenlee CC
Dakota Cc

Windsor always had the earliest ice and usually the best ice.

Not so much known for pick up games , busier sheets would be Dakota obviously , my son is in his early 20's and he and his friends often have pick up games at Sir John Franklin .

blues10 12-05-2011 12:29 PM

SJFCC always has the best ice in the city and is the first to open. Located off Corydon behind Mona Lisa pizza.

Jet 12-05-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetkarma (Post 40457107)
Windsor always had the earliest ice and usually the best ice.

Not so much known for pick up games , busier sheets would be Dakota obviously , my son is in his early 20's and he and his friends often have pick up games at Sir John Franklin .

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues10 (Post 40457281)
SJFCC always has the best ice in the city and is the first to open. Located off Corydon behind Mona Lisa pizza.

I agree with this. I've had the best luck at SJF. The CC is usually open too so you don't have to change outside.

jetkarma 12-05-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues10 (Post 40457281)

very good but unless it has changed the last 2 or so years just behind Windsor ... there was shinny at Windsor this weekend.

PitbulI 12-05-2011 01:13 PM

They've started flooding the rinks at Park City West CC in Transcona. I saw someone skating around there yesterday although judging by the open zamboni entrance and the lack of nets, they've only started recently and will probably be another week before it's ready to go at least.

Salzig 12-05-2011 01:32 PM

Reading this thread makes me jealous...

PaperRockChamp 12-05-2011 01:34 PM

In St. James, a good place to go would be Woodhaven.. It's basically in a "valley" (at the bottom, in between two hills) which blocks all wind. Also has a clubhouse.

YWGinYYZ 12-05-2011 01:37 PM

It's a bit of a drive ;), but there are about 40 outdoor rinks open in Toronto right now. Will be heading out sometime this week for the 1st skate of the year - can't wait!

Pavelec4MVP 12-05-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salzig (Post 40460057)
Reading this thread makes me jealous...

Sorry dood :(

Move to Winnipeg.. you can skate outside for 5 months a year

Salzig 12-05-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 40461469)
Sorry dood :(

Move to Winnipeg.. you can skate outside for 5 months a year

Haha, well we have two "rinks" in my town, one is directly at the Christmas market, it's as big as an attacking zone and they renew the ice once (!) per day.

The other rink is as half as big as a normal (European) hockey rink but they occasionally use one third of the ice for curling. At least they renew the ice three times per day. :sarcasm:

And it's not like we're a small city. We've got around 325,000 citizens plus around 600,000 people living nearby.

Back in the Bigs 12-05-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 40457373)
I agree with this. I've had the best luck at SJF. The CC is usually open too so you don't have to change outside.

Man, that brings back lots of memories- played all my minor hockey at Sir John, and literally hundreds of hours of pick up hockey.....remember the frozen feet well:laugh:
that and trying to stickhandle and complete passes with about a dozen or more guys on each team.... talk about like trying to stickhandle in a phone booth....
also remember Mike Keane when he was like 9 or 10 years old playing there, too ...had pretty good wheels even then...