HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Speculation: Value of Paul Stastny (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1047195)

LeedsMonster 12-05-2011 01:05 PM

Value of Paul Stastny

Whats up Avs fans, a very bored Devils fan here checking in to see what the trade value of C Paul Stastny is. His play seems to have regressed the past season and 1/3, and maybe he would benefit from a change of scenery? His father starred with our team eons ago, and it would be cool to see him in a Devils sweater. So, what would it take, and would Colorado even consider trading him?

Huis Clos* 12-05-2011 01:14 PM

Parise, Kovalchuk and a 1st.

Freudian 12-05-2011 01:17 PM

I don't think Avs will trade him and he hasn't really regressed. The team as a whole have struggled a bit with finishing and I would expect Stastny and the team to improve scoring as the season goes along.

I don't see any scenario where Devils can trade for him this year, seeing as we'd have to get $6.6M in salary back without making the team worse.

Next summer perhaps Avs will entertain the idea if they are confident in O'Reilly and Duchene being able to handle the scoring line center duties.

Av-merican 12-05-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeedsMonster (Post 40456321)
Whats up Avs fans, a very bored Devils fan here checking in to see what the trade value of C Paul Stastny is. His play seems to have regressed the past season and 1/3, and maybe he would benefit from a change of scenery? His father starred with our team eons ago, and it would be cool to see him in a Devils sweater. So, what would it take, and would Colorado even consider trading him?

Peter Stastny played for the Devils? News to me.

Honestly played (probably) his best game of the season last night, which is huge considering he's on pace for career-worst numbers.

I don't know what his future is with the Avs. Right now he remains our most reliable and proven offensive weapon not named Milan Hejduk. I think the Avs fans who want him traded yesterday are putting too much stock (and pressure) on the shoulders of Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Duchene.

I can't see the Avs bringing him back after his contract expires. So does that mean he'll be traded? I doubt if he is that it'll be this year. We'll be WAY below the salary floor if we trade him now, unless we take a big salary or salaries in return.

So in terms of comparable salaries, you'd have to either trade us one of Kovalchuk or Parise, which I wouldn't do if I were Lou, or trade something like Zubrus/Clarkson, which I certainly wouldn't do if I were Sherman. Hard to say how a deal could be worked out.

This could all be moot of course if his injury sustained last night turns out to be serious.

Bender 12-05-2011 01:19 PM

Let me just save us all some time...

Avs fans say "we need this and this and maybe this"...

Then you respond "WHAT? I wouldn't let Stastny shine his shoes with Zajac's jockstrap!!!"

Big pissing match and the thread ends up closed.

LeedsMonster 12-05-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 40456845)
Let me just save us all some time...

Avs fans say "we need this and this and maybe this"...

Then you respond "WHAT? I wouldn't let Stastny shine his shoes with Zajac's jockstrap!!!"

Big pissing match and the thread ends up closed.

LOL...you got me all wrong man, not that kind of poster:laugh:

Mouse21* 12-05-2011 01:27 PM

he has regressed and IMO isnt worth all that much on the market.

the fact is, hes just not that good of a player. doesnt bring too much to the table beyond decent forecheck and decent two way game, which most grinders have and dont cost 6.6 a year.

Bender 12-05-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse21 (Post 40457207)

the fact is, hes just not that good of a player. doesnt bring too much to the table beyond decent forecheck and decent two way game, which most grinders have and dont cost 6.6 a year.

Thanks for the input Double Dion.

Ice Crusher 12-05-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Is there any positive posts on your part? Everytime I see you post something, it always ends up being so negative about everything surrounding this team.

Av-merican 12-05-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

:shakehead

I see the "I Hate Paul Stastny" contingent has weighed in.

LeedsMonster 12-05-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican (Post 40456797)
Peter Stastny played for the Devils? News to me.Honestly played (probably) his best game of the season last night, which is huge considering he's on pace for career-worst numbers.

I don't know what his future is with the Avs. Right now he remains our most reliable and proven offensive weapon not named Milan Hejduk. I think the Avs fans who want him traded yesterday are putting too much stock (and pressure) on the shoulders of Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Duchene.

I can't see the Avs bringing him back after his contract expires. So does that mean he'll be traded? I doubt if he is that it'll be this year. We'll be WAY below the salary floor if we trade him now, unless we take a big salary or salaries in return.

So in terms of comparable salaries, you'd have to either trade us one of Kovalchuk or Parise, which I wouldn't do if I were Lou, or trade something like Zubrus/Clarkson, which I certainly wouldn't do if I were Sherman. Hard to say how a deal could be worked out.

This could all be moot of course if his injury sustained last night turns out to be serious.

Bolded: Yup, we traded for him in the 1989- 1990 season, and he was with us through the 1992- 1993 season after which he signed with St. Louis. Bad timing on his part haha.

As for the rest of your post, I hear what youre saying. It would be a tough deal to make for both sides with Pauls cap hit being what it is. I am just passing time trying to dream up a scenario where we can aquire a skilled playmaking C to pair up w Kovalchuck as he seems to need it. I would still love to see the name Stastny on the back of an NJD sweater again as Paul was one of my first favorite players! Good luck with the rest of your season guys!

Hennessy 12-05-2011 01:38 PM

You can have Yan for free.

cgf 12-05-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

That's why he won't get traded, he's much mroe valuable to the Avs than he is to other teams.

Just noticed your ninja edit, which is ridiculous. Did you not watch the last game where Staz showed why he's the best passer on the team when he hit EJ streaking up the weakside and almost scored his first of the year? Staz is absurdly under-rated by some people because he's paid a million more than he should be. What it would take for the Avs to part with him would be a better first liner and that's not happening. His value as a center is huge so any trade for a winger would have to either bring back a better winger than staz is a center or a top 2 center and a good scoring line winger. Either of which we won't get for him.

Mouse21* 12-05-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Post 40457767)
That's why he won't get traded, he's much mroe valuable to the Avs than he is to other teams.

Just noticed your ninja edit, which is ridiculous. Did you not watch the last game where Staz showed why he's the best passer on the team when he hit EJ streaking up the weakside and almost scored his first of the year? Staz is absurdly under-rated by some people because he's paid a million more than he should be. What it would take for the Avs to part with him would be a better first liner and that's not happening. His value as a center is huge so any trade for a winger would have to either bring back a better winger than staz is a center or a top 2 center and a good scoring line winger. Either of which we won't get for him.

:scared: he had one good game in two seasons? your right, hes worth six million dollars.

the guy is wayyyyyy over rated by other Avs fans, im trying to be realistic here. hes not too good.

Av-merican 12-05-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse21 (Post 40457963)
:scared: he had one good game in two seasons? your right, hes worth six million dollars.

the guy is wayyyyyy over rated by other Avs fans, im trying to be realistic here. hes not too good.

Right...he put up 22 goals last season but all of those games he must've played like crap. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't even try to argue with trolls like you since you don't listen to anything other than yourselves, but I can't help it.

And the "he's overpaid" argument is even older than you are (which I'm guessing is 10), since Dater has driven it into the ground. We get it, he's overpaid. That's not his fault, that's Giguere's. Be mad at him if you want, but the guy brought the same game he's always brought and happened to sign an inflated contract. At the time, he was far and away our best player. So what if he's overpaid!? This isn't a situation like Matt Stajan or Shawn Horcoff where the contract is completely out of line in terms of his ability.

TwoPadStack 12-05-2011 02:07 PM

I don't want to trade him, but...

...a scoring winger and a high draft pick. Possibly an offensive prospect included, as well.

Just my opinion.

bohlmeister 12-05-2011 02:08 PM

If they trade him this season they will need to take on 6.6 in salary in the move. They could take on a bad expiring contract. I think they will be looking for a 1st round pick in this years draft, and a young winger with top 6 potential.

AvsFan7* 12-05-2011 02:30 PM

Anyone want to explain to me how to get to the ignore button??

Really dont want to do this to a fellow Avs fan, but I dont think he is a Avs fan, and what he is saying right now is just trolling...

Anyway Stas has played MUCH better his last couple games, along with the enite Avs team, I wouldnt trade him right now because he looks like he's on the verge of breaking out of his slump(Could have easily had a 3 point night last night, and a couple against St Louis if not for Goaltending) but IF we were to shop him around now and New Jersey was ineterested I would be looking for something around Zajac.

Zajac+ for Stastny would be a pretty fair deal IMO, the + wouldnt have to be all that big, maybe a mid level Prospect or a 2nd round pick(Not sure if you have your though).

But I do think he will break his slump in the coming games and his value will be higher at the trade deadline, and if he's going to be mvoed it will likely be then, if he were mvoed at the deadline I would be looking for something like Zajac a 2nd and a 3rd/4th liner!

The Kingslayer 12-05-2011 02:36 PM

PAul Stastny to STL for Stewart, Shattenkirk and Ty Rattie

AvsFan7* 12-05-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice berg slim (Post 40460195)
PAul Stastny to STL for Stewart, Shattenkirk and Ty Rattie

Were do I sign hahahaha. That would ultimatly end u being Stastny for EJ, McClement, and Siemens lol!

Obviously this wouldnt happen though :(

SlyAvs 12-05-2011 02:41 PM

Rumors : Bruins and Hawks looking for centers ,http://www.mynhltraderumors.com2nd-line-center-bruins

WarriorOfGandhi 12-05-2011 02:44 PM

Komisarek, Bozak, 4th

S E P H 12-05-2011 02:46 PM

1st 2012
2nd 2012
1st 2013

Bonzai12 12-05-2011 03:01 PM

I'd want Oshie or Parise (signed) or Loui E

I'd ship off Stastny, Barrie, and a guy like Jones or Yip for one of those. (a little less for Oshie).

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 12-05-2011 03:14 PM

If it's trading Stastny to play with Parise and Kovalchuk I'd want someone the Devils will not want to part ways with.

And yes his name starts with an L and ends with arsson.

But I know that's completely unrealistic so I'd settle for Tedenby, Josefson, Umberger, and a First