HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skating backwards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1048287)

cheap77 12-06-2011 04:03 PM

Skating backwards

I have only played hockey three times in an adult league and I believe I'm ready to start learning how to skate backwards. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or videos on how to do it?

Ozz 12-06-2011 04:06 PM

Try starting here?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...79l0.11.2l13l0

hyster110 12-06-2011 04:58 PM

best advice, master skating forward, everything to do with skating forward, starts stops crossovers before you even think about starting backwards. that was you will have a basic idea of the movements before you try something that is exponentially harder

newfr4u 12-06-2011 05:07 PM

this entire dvd set is really good, and it includes a ton more on backwards skating than most

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEcoVbVbC8

Badger36 12-06-2011 05:39 PM

Lean back a bit, turn your toes inward and do c-cuts.

Ozz 12-06-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfr4u (Post 40530747)
this entire dvd set is really good, and it includes a ton more on backwards skating than most

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEcoVbVbC8

I'd recommend watching this guy (Skinner). I've got the "Stickhandling Beyond Belief" series and he's got lots of good ideas and drills.

Gino 14 12-06-2011 05:52 PM

Look straight behind, the top of the dashers is a good focal point, and keep your weight low on your skates. Wear a helmet to protect your head, catching an edge and mashing your head is no good for you.

Stickmata 12-06-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 40532539)
Look straight behind, the top of the dashers is a good focal point, and keep your weight low on your skates. Wear a helmet to protect your head, catching an edge and mashing your head is no good for you.

:huh: Look behind? I'd make sure nobody was behind me, but I'd be looking in front of me.

OP, as another poster said, I'd become proficient skating forwards, pivoting and stopping before I focus on skating backwards. But if you insist, my advice would be to think low and wide. Don't lean back, get low and stick your butt back, keep your feet wide and use your edges just like you would if skating forward, i.e, deep, wide C-cuts, pushing out to the side and pumping your arms out in front of you. If you don't know what a C cut is, I would reiterate that you should work on forward skating first.

beth 12-06-2011 11:28 PM

Force yourself to go backwards for increasing amounts of time. Work your way up to practicing backwards just about as much as you're going forwards. At some point, your body will get used to going the wrong direction and you won't even realize that you're going backwards anymore. But it takes time. Practice backwards c-cuts, and make yourself do backwards one-foot glides, even if you can only go half a foot right now. Then you can start getting into inside/outside edges, one foot scallops and all sorts of crazy things. But right now, just get your body balanced and practice being low and stable. Wear your gear! Especially pants/elbows/helmet.

hyster110 12-07-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 40534985)
:huh: Look behind? I'd make sure nobody was behind me, but I'd be looking in front of me.

OP, as another poster said, I'd become proficient skating forwards, pivoting and stopping before I focus on skating backwards. But if you insist, my advice would be to think low and wide. Don't lean back, get low and stick your butt back, keep your feet wide and use your edges just like you would if skating forward, i.e, deep, wide C-cuts, pushing out to the side and pumping your arms out in front of you. If you don't know what a C cut is, I would reiterate that you should work on forward skating first.

without becoming proficient or even great at forwards skating your going to set yourself up to fail for backwards skating.

it took me close to 3 years of forward skating to even started trying to do backwards and even then it was gliding for alot of the time. learning the movements going forwards, especially crossovers will only be beneficial in the future and make learning to skate backwards less of a challenging task

ATLhockey437 12-07-2011 01:09 AM

Bend your knees a little like your in mid squat and imagine your feet carving parenthesis as you push off and get momentum. Once your comfortable skating backwards in a straight line, try a mini drill where you skate in an S shape between the bluelines. You will get better at balancing yourself when carving and eventually for cross overs. Thats the quickest way to gain speed but takes more practice.

beth 12-07-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyster110 (Post 40566061)
without becoming proficient or even great at forwards skating your going to set yourself up to fail for backwards skating.

I learned them both at the same time, no problem. Most of the difficulty of going backwards is just that it's so unnatural to be going backwards. You have to force yourself to get past that mental block by just doing it as much as you can. :) That's what worked for me anyway.

ChiTownHawks 12-07-2011 10:29 AM

Everybody has already said most of what I have said except to not look down at your feet. Make sure you keep your head up as this will help with your balance.

Badger36 12-07-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 40534985)
Don't lean back, get low and stick your butt back, keep your feet wide and use your edges just like you would if skating forward, i.e, deep, wide C-cuts, pushing out to the side and pumping your arms out in front of you.

Do that and you'll end up falling flat on your face. :shakehead I struggled with skating backward until my coach told me to lean back a bit and now I can skate backwards almost as well as I can forwards.

Razzmatazz 12-07-2011 08:07 PM

I bought some roller blades solely for working on going backwards without having to pay for more ice time. It's not a perfect transition to ice skates, but it does help with the footwork and finding your balance...some people have suggested getting smaller wheels on the toe and heel of your blades to better simulate the rocking curvature of a hockey skate.

jwitz04 12-08-2011 12:50 AM

practice on roller. it's equivalent and free

ant1117 12-08-2011 01:58 AM

Honestly, i read a lot of this stuff when i was first learning how like a month ago. I couldn't do it for the life of me. Then just one day i kinda feel into being able to do it. but basically what everybody else has said. But honestly, it'll just come with time.

yakitate304 12-08-2011 04:00 AM

I started skating in my back yard rink pretty much as soon as I could walk, so it never occurred to me that skating backwards was such a difficult process, but I can definitely see how it would be very unnatural if you're starting late.

I can't really explain the process without being there in person, but a few tips for learning:

-Don't make the mistake I see some people make, which is learning by skating forward and then pivoting to backwards. This will be OK for teaching you balance and may be easier to see "progress" at first but misses an important part of the process which is generating momentum from a standstill. Instead, work on starting from a stop and gradually picking up speed.

-Arms need to be forward and backward. It might be easier initially to generate momentum using a side to side arm motion but it's less efficient and ultimately slows you down while also throwing you off balance.

-Once you get competent at the very basics of skating backwards, try to work on developing one-skate ability. As in, start normally from a stop and once you have a decent amount of speed, start to use only your right foot and try to maintain the same momentum while also keeping yourself in a reasonably straight line. It helps to to it along a blue line from one side of the ice to the other. Then do the same with your left. You'll get better at using both sides of your blades (as opposed to the common mistake of only generating power with the outside leg) and also generate more individual stride power.

Sir Meow Mix* 12-08-2011 04:30 AM

I still can't figure it out ;)

In all seriousness just keep practicing once you learn the proper technique for maximum efficiency, then work on the strength. The most important thing is perfecting the technique first, then comes the power distribution and the speed will come.

izzy3 12-08-2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beth (Post 40574115)
I learned them both at the same time, no problem.

I second this. Do not wait until you're a proficient skater forwards! In fact, I am one of the best skaters on my team, but I still have a lot of things I have to work on my forward skating, so that means I still wouldn't skate backwards?

Skating backwards is a very valuable skill on every hockey team, even more so on a low skill, beginner hockey team. It will give you more options in most situation, and it will give you more icetime on the D.

I thought backwards skating was cool, so I started to learn right away by myself. Granted, you'll fall, but it's not that hard to learn. I wore an inline girdle and elbow pads under my clothes for public skates, so didn't have to worry about falling either.

As nike says: just do it!

Wilch 12-08-2011 10:57 AM

I use a lot of backward skating in game during offensive/defensive zone plays... A lot less in neutral zone. Try doing them more in drop-in hockey games, shinny is more relaxed since people generally don't keep score.

Stickmata 12-08-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey36 (Post 40593191)
Do that and you'll end up falling flat on your face. :shakehead I struggled with skating backward until my coach told me to lean back a bit and now I can skate backwards almost as well as I can forwards.

Sorry, I was only quoting what Robby Glantz, one of the best power skating coaches in NA, teaches in his clinics. You don't lean back. You get low and wide and stick your butt back. Maybe you were leaning forward too much and your coach told you to lean back to a more neutral position. The worst thing you can do when back skating is to actually be leaning back. I'm a very strong back skater and I can tell you I don't lean back at all. I stay low and wide, butt back, head up and dig my edges in hard.

biturbo19 12-13-2011 05:50 AM

just have someone give you a 'lil boost and ride it out. ;)

all kidding aside though, i think most of the basics have been covered at some point in this thread. but i'd like to emphasize this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 40627947)
Sorry, I was only quoting what Robby Glantz, one of the best power skating coaches in NA, teaches in his clinics. You don't lean back. You get low and wide and stick your butt back. Maybe you were leaning forward too much and your coach told you to lean back to a more neutral position. The worst thing you can do when back skating is to actually be leaning back. I'm a very strong back skater and I can tell you I don't lean back at all. I stay low and wide, butt back, head up and dig my edges in hard.

there's a big difference between 'leaning back' and throwing your center of gravity back. the latter will help you build momentum moving backwards, the former will just make you exceptionally easy to knock on your ass.

finding that balance seems to be the thing that people struggle with the most in skating backwards when they're first starting.

other things i'd add; as mentioned, start with just making strong backwards c-cuts where you have the opposite leg to help support you and keep you in a straight line. and don't hesitate to work on backwards crossovers, as intimidating as it may seem to a beginner, they are invaluable in generating power and moving backwards from a dead stop, and if you can get comfortable with those movements, you will be immensely more comfortable and confident on all of your edges moving backwards.

CornKicker 12-13-2011 11:41 PM

google mike bracko, learn how to skate forwards with proper technique and balance, then move to backwards

night-timer 12-14-2011 07:57 AM

Dunno if it helps, but some players or skaters recommend practicing your backwards crossovers by hanging onto the barrier at the side of the rink or by dragging a goalnet along the ice. Having something to hold onto is kinda like cheating, but, hey, I didn't see anything ;-)