HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   heat management... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1049869)

r3cc0s 12-08-2011 11:55 AM

heat management...
 
For me, this is huge and I don't know if its cause I sweat more, or generate alot of BTU... but heat management changes the fatigue level so much for me.

The difference between thinking about timing your shift and having the energy to make a play and still know you can get back to the bench without causing any problems.

For me... wearing lightweight protective gear, i.e. shinpads and softie elbows

No shoulder pads
Using 3 in 1 jock with underarmour rather than jockshort/underarmour, and opening the zips on my pants really makes a huge difference.

the biggest one is probably the shoulder pads as they seriously just keeps the heat in, and I'm even talking about the 5030's I'm using. Its not the weight or mobility, but the heat.

I don't understand the guys who basically put on a one piece liatard, another pair of socks, then jock shorts, then full sized pads etc...
I would just die if I were out there in that stuff

hyster110 12-08-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s (Post 40625735)
For me, this is huge and I don't know if its cause I sweat more, or generate alot of BTU... but heat management changes the fatigue level so much for me.

The difference between thinking about timing your shift and having the energy to make a play and still know you can get back to the bench without causing any problems.

For me... wearing lightweight protective gear, i.e. shinpads and softie elbows

No shoulder pads
Using 3 in 1 jock with underarmour rather than jockshort/underarmour, and opening the zips on my pants really makes a huge difference.

the biggest one is probably the shoulder pads as they seriously just keeps the heat in, and I'm even talking about the 5030's I'm using. Its not the weight or mobility, but the heat.

I don't understand the guys who basically put on a one piece liatard, another pair of socks, then jock shorts, then full sized pads etc...
I would just die if I were out there in that stuff


so are you trying to say you get to hot playing hockey?

Jarick 12-08-2011 12:57 PM

The first thing I noticed was shoulder pads...many of the high end models trapped heat a few years ago but my current Reebok 4k's don't. I used to wear LS shirt and jock pants but now I use a beater and regular shorts. I don't get too hot on the ice during the winter.

I was amazed by one guy who would not only wear the full long sleeve shirt and pants, but he'd actually wear UA gloves UNDER HIS GLOVES. Kid was ridiculous though, conditioning like you wouldn't believe (workout freak and former military) and athletic as hell (college baseball I believe).

vapor11 12-08-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 40628615)
I was amazed by one guy who would not only wear the full long sleeve shirt and pants, but he'd actually wear UA gloves UNDER HIS GLOVES. Kid was ridiculous though, conditioning like you wouldn't believe (workout freak and former military) and athletic as hell (college baseball I believe).

Not saying this is the case but I played pickup with a person a few months back who wore a pair of white gloves underneath his hockey gloves.. I was sitting next to him on the bench so I asked him about them and he stated the reason he wore them was something to do with the "sensitivity" of his hands

ArrogantOwl 12-08-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessel (Post 40646337)
Not saying this is the case but I played pickup with a person a few months back who wore a pair of white gloves underneath his hockey gloves.. I was sitting next to him on the bench so I asked him about them and he stated the reason he wore them was something to do with the "sensitivity" of his hands

I hear this is quite common with goalies.

gabbagabbawill 12-09-2011 07:39 AM

Try a dri-fit shirt or something similar that wicks away the sweat... it's night and day compared to wearing a cotton t-shirt under your pads. Instead of trapping moisture (and thus heat) it will keep you cool as the sweat evaporates. Use the same kind of shorts under your hockey pants and drymax or similar socks... you'll notice a huge difference in heat transfer.

Bryan23 12-09-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabbagabbawill (Post 40683157)
Try a dri-fit shirt or something similar that wicks away the sweat... it's night and day compared to wearing a cotton t-shirt under your pads. Instead of trapping moisture (and thus heat) it will keep you cool as the sweat evaporates. Use the same kind of shorts under your hockey pants and drymax or similar socks... you'll notice a huge difference in heat transfer.

This^^

I wear a dri-fit longsleeve shirt and pants. There is a huge difference wearing them.

r3cc0s 12-09-2011 04:17 PM

I use underarmour garments myself...

yesterday I played... again with the same equipment, but the rink seemed especially cold and I felt like I could keep going and going.

that being said, 3 in one jock shorts are so much better than Jock shorts for me.
UA shorts + 3 in One, and I feel almost swassless

pnewsom 12-11-2011 10:45 AM

The Bauer Vapor XXXX shoulder pads and pants have tiny little holes in all the padding elements. Incredible difference in the heat and cooling qualities.

Ducksgo* 12-11-2011 03:53 PM

I have no idea why people wear this underarmor crap and other things. I mean it's beer league and most people won't notice the difference

Fred89 12-11-2011 05:07 PM

I think its not a matter of league, its a matter of personal comfort and health!

No one sees what i have under when skiing, but white t-shirt vs dri-fit shirt makes really the difference in terms of sweating and staying fresh. And when you need to stay hot instead, i just put a sweatshirt over and you're ok.

Think its the same in hockey, though i've never played right now.

Badger36 12-11-2011 05:08 PM

Perhaps you just need to do a better job of staying hydrated. If you are sweating so much that your feel faituged, you clearly arent staying hydrated.

r3cc0s 12-11-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducksgo (Post 40796341)
I have no idea why people wear this underarmor crap and other things. I mean it's beer league and most people won't notice the difference

well.. it won't especially if you don't wear UA...

I don't actually spend much on the UA stuff, I buy whatever's on sale at Winniers or your TJ max

I much prefer wearing compression shorts (I use the atheltic ones from Walmart for 6 bux a piece) than just cotton underwear...

As to hydration, I drink probably about a liter during a hard game, and its not on the bench where I'm dying from heat... its the overall fatigue it adds

Its like the difference between playing outdoor shinny (even if it is a hard game) vs indoor... the weight and heat added by the equipment uses calories.

kr580 12-12-2011 02:16 AM

Do you always wear some sort of undershirt? Try going without one. I went from t-shirt to UA undershirt to shirtless. I'll never wear an undershirt again if I can help it.

Guffaw 12-12-2011 09:46 AM

I never got the undergarment stuff. I guess it protects you from skate cuts, etc., but holy heat.

For me it's lightweight equipment, thin socks, jerseys, no shirt underneath.

Auston Marlander 12-12-2011 09:50 AM

I get really sensitive skin when I sweat, so I always wear a long sleeve shirt, the best one i found is made by Nike. It is super thin and made a some sort of "cool" material. It always seems to feel colder than ambient temp. I love the thing, but no matter how many times I wash it now, the smell just won't go away (I have a horrible habit of forgetting to take my equipment out of my trunk)

Auston Marlander 12-12-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducksgo (Post 40796341)
I have no idea why people wear this underarmor crap and other things. I mean it's beer league and most people won't notice the difference

Sounds like you aren't skating hard/fast enough.

Auston Marlander 12-12-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessel (Post 40646337)
Not saying this is the case but I played pickup with a person a few months back who wore a pair of white gloves underneath his hockey gloves.. I was sitting next to him on the bench so I asked him about them and he stated the reason he wore them was something to do with the "sensitivity" of his hands

I have been getting a rash on my one finger after each game/skate. I might need to look into this.

vikingGoalie 12-12-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey36 (Post 40799163)
Perhaps you just need to do a better job of staying hydrated. If you are sweating so much that your feel faituged, you clearly arent staying hydrated.

this. sure gear will help. But regardless of gear you will sweat, a lot. If you are not properly hydrated you will get fatigued. Ever get headaches after playing? That's another sign that you probably didn't have enough water in your system.

Really you should be drinking water all day the day of a game (really every day).

I notice a direct correlation between my energy level towards the end of the game and how well I prepared for it that day. Food, and more importantly water.
Especially if it's a real busy game (play goal).

Wilch 12-12-2011 10:26 AM

I wear UA compression sleeves and I love them. I do practice skates in minimal gear (pants, gloves, skates, shin pads right now because my knee caps are both bruised pretty badly). Instead of wearing my compression long sleeves, I wear a t-shirt a wind breaker. Once wet, cotton shirts get heavy and restricts your joint movements.

r3cc0s 12-12-2011 11:46 AM

The only thing I haven't tried are those Edge socks, and I'm not sure that's the problem... yes my shin's sweat, but its more in my pants and body that get warm..

Perhaps this is it... I also play soccer to a competitive level, and I can tell you, for a simular level of output (i.e. heartrate and anerobic output) I sweat way less, but I'm not wearing any restrictive gear other than shinpads
Also when I played football, the shifts for 3 downs were so much quicker that you only notice the heat during really scorching days.

I drink about 1+ liter of water during, and keep myself well hydrated before and after.

It definately takes energy to sweat... being in a sauna alone can raise your heart rate to a point where you can sweat up to 600 calories in an hour.

As to skating without a undershirt... yes I have, and wow.. outside of the first couple minutes on the rink where your nipples are ice picks, it is definately comfortable on ice.
When waiting for during someone's long shift, that's where having a undershirt is nice :)

night-timer 12-14-2011 07:49 AM

... but won't sweating heaps get all of the toxic schitt out of my system as a beer league player?

The Tikkanen 12-14-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s (Post 40828431)
The only thing I haven't tried are those Edge socks, and I'm not sure that's the problem... yes my shin's sweat, but its more in my pants and body that get warm..

Perhaps this is it... I also play soccer to a competitive level, and I can tell you, for a simular level of output (i.e. heartrate and anerobic output) I sweat way less, but I'm not wearing any restrictive gear other than shinpads
Also when I played football, the shifts for 3 downs were so much quicker that you only notice the heat during really scorching days.

I drink about 1+ liter of water during, and keep myself well hydrated before and after.

It definately takes energy to sweat... being in a sauna alone can raise your heart rate to a point where you can sweat up to 600 calories in an hour.

As to skating without a undershirt... yes I have, and wow.. outside of the first couple minutes on the rink where your nipples are ice picks, it is definately comfortable on ice.
When waiting for during someone's long shift, that's where having a undershirt is nice :)

Have you tried switching to a more breathable helmet? I believe the 3 hottest areas of a mans body is the head, the armpits and the groin. When you get to the rink and urinate is it clear or dark yellow? I play ice in SoCal, never really gets cold here but I always try to buy a helmet that breathes good, my Easton S19 shin pads have holes in the front for ventilation, always try to stick to lightweight jerseys. If it drops below 60 degrees outside I opt for a long sleeve dri fit compression shirt, if not I stick to a short sleeve compression shirt. It could be that your body is just used to soccer, an aerobic sport where you're not wearing much and it will just take time for you to adapt. I'd take everybody's advice and try to pick and choose what might work for you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.