HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   JR Hurt? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=105104)

flyersrock1 09-22-2004 11:46 AM

JR Hurt?

JR wants his pay. Saying he could not play this year because he is cocussed. So he should get his 7.5 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=99522
next time make sure it's here

Rex88 09-22-2004 12:11 PM

I guess the price of hair gel has sky rocketed.

bennysflyers16 09-22-2004 12:15 PM

I love JR, but it is always something with him. Whenever there is a problem he runs to the media making the Flyers look bad. If he is hurt, wouldn't the insurance company be liable to pay his money ?

Blindside9711 09-22-2004 12:56 PM

It's not about the insurance... It was a stipulation that any player hurt in the 2003-04 season and possibly during the WCH tourney as well are entitled to their entire paycheck for the duration of the lockout. It's a matter of whether JR actually suffered a concussion during the playoffs or not. If he did, the Flyers are obligated to pay him. Agreed it probably isn't the most professional way to handle the issue, but who's to say that the media isn't just digging until they find dirt just to publish SOMETHING about the NHL these days? It's not like the media's been known to do that at all. ;)

FlyersProspect2 09-22-2004 01:25 PM

Does this mean the JR to blackhawk rumors could be true?

flyersrock1 09-22-2004 01:27 PM

I am being to hope JR to somewhere is true.

flyerchick12 09-22-2004 01:54 PM

If he was so hurt why wasn't he at home resting instead of singing "take me out to the ball game," commentating on the World Cup, and other outings throughout the summer.

FlyHigh 09-22-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerchick12
If he was so hurt why wasn't he at home resting instead of singing "take me out to the ball game," commentating on the World Cup, and other outings throughout the summer.

yeah, it really seems that the concussion hasn't stopped him from having a really active social life. Besides, how much $$$ does one guy need, if he doesn't play or whatever, why can't he just give up the money for the good of the team?

Teezax 09-22-2004 04:17 PM

guys if you were in his shoes, you'd be pretty pissed too, it's 7.5 million dollars!!!

Nikkowar 09-22-2004 04:33 PM

You know,now i'm happy that i called him a pestimistic jackass :D

FlyHigh 09-22-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
guys if you were in his shoes, you'd be pretty pissed too, it's 7.5 million dollars!!!

If I were in his shoes, I would already have 50 million dollars in the bank. I wouldn't be getting too upset. He'll be getting 7 figure endorsement deals and commentating gigs for a while.

flyersrock1 09-22-2004 07:24 PM

It looks like he wants out and what better way than to pizz off Mr. Clarke.

GKJ 09-22-2004 08:22 PM

Yeah, we're gonna need a link

flyersrock1 09-22-2004 08:56 PM

JR Hurt Link

www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=99522

GKJ 09-22-2004 09:48 PM

A-ok

flyerchick12 09-23-2004 12:10 AM

Maybe he needs the money for Vegas

Colorado Avalanche 09-23-2004 05:37 AM

Okay sorry my bad english but this means he wanna money 7.5 next year even if he don't play any games because he had concussions?

if it's like that then :shakehead

Bob Clarke Fan Club 09-23-2004 06:13 AM

If jr was indeed playing with a concussion in the last game of the Tampa series then pay him...If this is a gimmick to cash in on previous concussions...for shame JR. Either way it looks like JR will possibly be leaving on the same train the Big E left on. :shakehead
I'm starting to get a little ticked at the media the guy garners anyways.

FlyHigh 09-23-2004 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
If jr was indeed playing with a concussion in the last game of the Tampa series then pay him...If this is a gimmick to cash in on previous concussions...for shame JR. Either way it looks like JR will possibly be leaving on the same train the Big E left on. :shakehead
I'm starting to get a little ticked at the media the guy garners anyways.

well, if we trade him for what we traded Lindros for.... :banana:

but that won't happen.

Diesel 09-23-2004 12:22 PM

Looks like the money isn't really an issue with him. He's more concerned with whether or not he'll play again. As of right now, it looks like he probably won't. He's said that before, but even after he decided not too he came out and said that he was very close. Then he suffered another concussion in the playoffs. I honestly don't think he'll play again, but that is my opinion. There won't be hockey this year, so he'll have extra time to heal. But he'll also be another year older. The positive from this is that it opens up another spot for one of our younger guys to come in and prove themselves (Richards, perhaps?)

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/9736429.htm

Toonces 09-23-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel

"The story suggested that Roenick and the Flyers were headed for a confrontation over money.

But both Roenick and Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said yesterday that the two sides are a "long ways" away from a confrontation over salary."

Certianly doesn't sound as ominous as the article from yesterday seemed to suggest.

"If Karen Johnston says I can't play, they're not on the hook for my salary. I don't know why it had to come out that way because I'm not laying down any gauntlet. I said I'm going to see Karen Johnston. I need some professional advice on what I should do."

I don't see an issue here really. Seems like a little sensationalism from the media.

GoneFullHextall 09-23-2004 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2
Does this mean the JR to blackhawk rumors could be true?

I would have to think if the Flyers do have to pay him, it is probably over for him in Philly. I dont want to see it happen but i think that would be it for him here. But he does have that large contract and the Flyers have to deal with Leclair and Amonte before they even think about dealing Roenick. 3 large contracts may be too much to ask.
As far as Amonte and Roenick to the Hawks it is not going to happen. they are a cheap organization anyway and the names that the Flyers would want the Hawks would never part with.

stanley 09-24-2004 07:41 AM

I think that the Flyers wouldn't mind watching his remaining $15M, if not JR the player, walk its way off the ledger. If there's one position at which they could stand to suffer a few losses, center is it. They would absolutely need to lock up Zhamnov, but they would survive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
I don't see an issue here really. Seems like a little sensationalism from the media.

I have to disagree with you, Toonces. The sensationalism, as I see it, comes directly from Jeremy Roenick. He wasn't misquoted the other day in the Inquirer article. He had no problem "compiling" the evidence against the organization the other day: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/9725394.htm

...and then he spends all of this article (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/9736429.htm) backtracking off those sentiments. It's clear to me that JR is, frankly, not that smart.

We are the fools here for not treating a talking JR as a fool. He has entertainment value, but we're all fools for taking him seriously.

DuklaNation 09-24-2004 11:41 AM

If JR files a suit to claim his salary due to injury, the Flyers will almost certainly trade him when the league resumes. That is a safe bet.

Toonces 09-24-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
I have to disagree with you, Toonces. The sensationalism, as I see it, comes directly from Jeremy Roenick. He wasn't misquoted the other day in the Inquirer article. He had no problem "compiling" the evidence against the organization the other day: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/9725394.htm

...and then he spends all of this article (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/9736429.htm) backtracking off those sentiments. It's clear to me that JR is, frankly, not that smart.

I agree with you on this point, JR is not very smart at all. I'll never forget the story about him going to some College Intro class and deciding it was too much for him. First thing JR did after class was to sign a contract to play Pro Hockey. Roenick, while respected for his unabashed honestly, does not think before he speaks.

"I am sure anyone who deems themselves as injured will have a fight with the NHL this year," he said. "People have said to me all summer, 'JR, you don't seem right.' My wife, my friends, the media. My whole career is riding on what happens over the next couple of weeks... . If he [Clarke] says there's no problem with me, he's crazy."

I'm not sure where there is a fight with the Flyers in all this. I think you have a point that JR is inventing some of this, but the TSN article I first read seemingly implied that JR and the Flyers were at some type of an impass. Perhaps I misconstrued the overall mood of the article, but it still sounds like the media, with or without JR's willing participation is trying to push buttons that may not be there. If Johnston says he can't play then the Flyers are kind of off the hook anyway.