HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: why did Wilson not resign Wellwood? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1052469)

californiahockey 12-11-2011 02:46 PM

why did Wilson not resign Wellwood?

I thought Kyle Wellwood was a good contributor to the Sharks last year for a low price. He also produced in the playoffs and was fun to watch. This year he is leading the Winnipeg Jets in points and is still carrying a tiny cap hit. Why did we not resign him!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:banghead:

Kegsey 12-11-2011 02:58 PM

He's on a better line and gets pp time...

FindingNemo 12-11-2011 03:13 PM

I'm getting so sick of threads about Wellwood and shouldve kept him/ couldve kept him crap.....enough already

Owen 12-11-2011 03:19 PM

Because the Sharks wanted McGinn to grow into a third-line forward. Wilson even said this during the off-season.

sharkbite3 12-11-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHeat (Post 40797109)
I'm getting so sick of threads about Wellwood and shouldve kept him/ couldve kept him crap.....enough already

This. Ugh. I'm sure if Brad Winchester stays on the first line with Thornton his point production will go up. Being put in a different spot will change things. That's a pretty basic concept. :shakehead

californiahockey 12-11-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHeat (Post 40797109)

Should have kept him Crap? Look at the season he's having. How is this crap?

Led Zappa 12-11-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by californiahockey (Post 40799111)
Should have kept him Crap? Look at the season he's having. How is this crap?

Because there's already been what seems like 5 threads talking this subject to death.

Bottom Line:

1) Wellwood would not be getting to play top 6 minutes on a regular basis on this team.

2) Wellwood was not looking to be a third liner again.

Admiral* 12-11-2011 04:22 PM

What's funny is that people think he would put up the same production on the Sharks.

Les Wynan* 12-11-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4U2NV (Post 40799677)
What\'s funny is that people think he would put up the same production on the Sharks.

He wouldnt but hed undoubtedly prevent the third line from bleeding shots against at their current rate.

californiahockey 12-11-2011 04:47 PM

I don't understand why u think that he would produce less in teal.

USF Shark 12-11-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by californiahockey (Post 40800653)

less minutes, and he'd be playing with McGinn and Handzus

Graveland 12-11-2011 05:11 PM

Hes soft.

StalockSuperfan 12-11-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 40799181)
2) Wellwood was not looking to be a third liner again.

The fact that he badly wanted to stay suggests that he was.

Led Zappa 12-11-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan (Post 40804565)
The fact that he badly wanted to stay suggests that he was.

My guess is that the fact that he didn't stay and waited so late to sign with someone else is he found the team that would give him top 6 minutes and didn't stay with the Sharks. My guess is if he couldn't find the team that would give him top 6 minutes he would have signed with the Sharks.

StalockSuperfan 12-11-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 40805183)
My guess is that the fact that he didn't stay and waited so late to sign with someone else is he found the team that would give him top 6 minutes and didn't stay with the Sharks. My guess is if he couldn't find the team that would give him top 6 minutes he would have signed with the Sharks.

Hmm. I think it was the other way around. If he couldn't stay with the Sharks he would at least find a team that would give him top 6 mins. I know he denied at least one contract from WPG because he was hoping DW would offer him one.

Admiral* 12-11-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by californiahockey (Post 40800653)

Haha. wow. How about 3rd line minutes, playing with McGinn and a rando on the 3rd line, and probably being used more in a shutdown role. Or just look at his past stint here where he put up nowhere near those type of numbers.

WTFetus 12-11-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USF Shark (Post 40801307)
less minutes, and he'd be playing with McGinn and Handzus

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4U2NV (Post 40815977)
Haha. wow. How about 3rd line minutes

He's actually playing roughly the same amount of minutes as he would here. In Winnipeg, he's averaging 13-15 minutes (~11 ES and 2+ PP). In San Jose, he'd be averaging just 13-15 mintues ES and no PP.

Led Zappa 12-11-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan (Post 40807929)
Hmm. I think it was the other way around. If he couldn't stay with the Sharks he would at least find a team that would give him top 6 mins. I know he denied at least one contract from WPG because he was hoping DW would offer him one.

See, I don't think there were many other teams that were possibly willing to give him top 6 minutes, but I think he kept looking and hoping to find a deal. I thought there were rumors that he probably had an offer on the table with the Sharks, but wasn't sold on the role.

Funny that first report was that he signed with the Sharks.

Anyways. I don't have any first hand knowledge, so who knows.

WTFetus 12-11-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 40816121)
I thought there were rumors that he probably had an offer on the table with the Sharks, but wasn't sold on the role.

I don't recall those rumors. The rumor I remembered was that he really wanted to sign with the Sharks and were waiting on them even though he got offers from Winnipeg earlier in the off-season. The Sharks apparently only wanted to give him a try-out though.
So SSF's theory sounds more reasonable based on the rumors.

Fistfullofbeer 12-11-2011 10:59 PM

Because TMac did not feel he was a good fit on this team.

I was not too concerned about the lack of re-signing at that time and am still in the same boat. Even though I did like Wellwood .. I dont think he is the kind of player which will make our team better.

The two teams in the Western conference that I felt had the best personnel to go all the way were the Sharks or Kings. Funny enough both of them are not 'clicking' yet. But they both have the makeup to be really elite.

SJeasy 12-12-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 40816249)
I don't recall those rumors. The rumor I remembered was that he really wanted to sign with the Sharks and were waiting on them even though he got offers from Winnipeg earlier in the off-season. The Sharks apparently only wanted to give him a try-out though.
So SSF's theory sounds more reasonable based on the rumors.

I remember the same thing being published and linked on this forum.

Gene Parmesan 12-12-2011 11:09 AM

:deadhorse

It didn't happen. Hes playing well in Winnipeg and thats good for him.

HOOCH2173 12-12-2011 11:49 AM

cause he likes hamburgers!!

Arkansas Shark 12-12-2011 12:23 PM

Wellwood was completely useless in the WCF last year. He and Eager were serious weak links, and DW took notice. Hence both players are no longer in teal.

No regrets whatsoever.

Les Wynan* 12-12-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny2134 (Post 40832091)
Wellwood was completely useless in the WCF last year. He and Eager were serious weak links, and DW took notice. Hence both players are no longer in teal.

No regrets whatsoever.

Based on what, exactly? According to The Copper & Blues scoring chance tabulation for that series, the Sharks outchanced the Canucks 16-11 with Wellwood on the ice, one of the best totals of any Shark in that series. By memory, he was particularly effective in Game 5 of that series when he was put on that makeshift line with Dany Heatley and Torrey Mitchell and they produced a ton of offense. Using a five-game sample size to evaluate any player is moronic but in this case Wellwood didnt even play poorly, he was just a victim of some poor bounces.