HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Andrew Gross: Notes from Bergen Record Rangers Article (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1052525)

ThisYearsModel 12-11-2011 03:59 PM

Notes from Bergen Record Rangers Article

Avery, clearly in Tortorella’s doghouse on and off the ice, played just 3:48, including just 40 seconds apiece in the second and third periods. He may be a healthy scratch tonight in favor of Erik Christensen, who did not dress for the eighth straight game Saturday.

Why is Avery in the dog house off the ice?

Clowes Line 12-11-2011 04:23 PM

Maybe he missed a team meeting or something? And because it's Avery, it is blown out of proportion

ThisYearsModel 12-11-2011 04:27 PM

Wow, is that truly a story? If so, what a dufus.

Net Front Presence 12-11-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident (Post 40799707)
Maybe he missed a team meeting or something? And because it's Avery, it is blown out of proportion

If Avery ever missed a team meeting, Torts would burn Avery's jersey and scratch him for eternity.

Khelvan 12-11-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B1SHOP (Post 40800895)
If Avery ever missed a team meeting, Torts would burn Avery's jersey and scratch him for eternity.

I know, right? And Torts isn't the only one. He has been unfairly maligned by a number of different coaches & GMs. What bad luck he has had to have been a part of so many horrible front offices. Idiots, all of them.

John Torturella 12-11-2011 05:25 PM

I wish I never had to hear the words Erik Christensen again. He doesn't fit this team's style. Get rid of him PLEASE.

Net Front Presence 12-11-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khelvan (Post 40802119)
I know, right? And Torts isn't the only one. He has been unfairly maligned by a number of different coaches & GMs. What bad luck he has had to have been a part of so many horrible front offices. Idiots, all of them.

Not sure what you're going for with that

chip chipperson* 12-11-2011 05:30 PM

hes just looking for a way to justify getting christensen in the lineup. avery has done nothing wrong, at least on the ice.

BrooklynRangersFan 12-11-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B1SHOP (Post 40802459)
Not sure what you're going for with that

Um, I'm going to take a wild-ass guess and say heavy, heavy sarcasm.

beef 4 lunch 12-11-2011 06:24 PM

torts needs to show everyone that he is in charge. every now and then he does something that screams "look at me!!" kinda like a little kid looking for attention.

BBKers 12-11-2011 07:32 PM

Something is up with Avery - supposedly off the ice... Just heard it earlier from a reliable source. Will try to get details... Maybe just it is just a bs rumor but this person knows a lot of what goes on.
I don´t care though cuzz I like what he can do for the team on the 4th line - which he executes well so far this year with limited minutes. His goals have been results of hard work and he has been very good not taking penalties and instead drawing some...
He, Prust & Rupp should split 4th line wing duty there later in the year...depending on opposition/health. Boyle should center.
Then we have AA, Stepan, Gabby, Fedotenko, Richards, Cally, Dubinsky, Hagelin, Wolski, Mitchell & ev Zuccarello (11 players) fighting for the top 9 spots. Good depth there...

nyr2k2 12-11-2011 08:59 PM

Incarcerated Bob is not a legitimate, valid source and we're not going to discuss his "rumors" here.

ThisYearsModel 12-11-2011 09:37 PM

Who the heck is Incarcerated Bob? Eklund's ugly cousin? Never heard of him.

Synergy27 12-11-2011 09:39 PM

The Rangers are undefeated and averaging 6 goals a game since Avery was benched!

Ranger109 12-11-2011 09:41 PM

I want Avery in the line-up, I think it's BS he i scratched.

BrooklynRangersFan 12-11-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger109 (Post 40814851)
I want Avery in the line-up, I think it's BS he i scratched.

They won 6-1 without him, yet you say it's BS he's scratched.

If this isn't proof that people want him because they identify with or are amused by his antics, rather than for any real hockey-related reason, I don't know what is.

nyr2k2 12-11-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 40815223)
They won 6-1 without him, yet you say it's BS he's scratched.

If this isn't proof that people want him because they identify with or are amused by his antics, rather than for any real hockey-related reason, I don't know what is.

They could have scratched Gaborik tonight and won the game. A singular result isn't indicative of anything.

Why is it unreasonable for someone to think that Avery performed well enough to keep his roster spot over Erik-freakin'-Christensen?

BrooklynRangersFan 12-11-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 40815481)
They could have scratched Gaborik tonight and won the game. A singular result isn't indicative of anything.

Why is it unreasonable for someone to think that Avery performed well enough to keep his roster spot over Erik-freakin'-Christensen?

The timing of the complaint is what proves the point - not any correlation between his absence and the final score.

nyr2k2 12-11-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 40815775)
The timing of the complaint is what proves the point - not any correlation between his absence and the final score.

What point is proved? That there are people who love Avery that want him to play? I also happen to think it's ridiculous that he loses his spot to Christensen. The timing is what it is because this thread was posted today. Should people wait to complain until we lose? They'd also catch flak for doing that.

nyrleetch 12-11-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 40816577)
What point is proved? That there are people who love Avery that want him to play? I also happen to think it's ridiculous that he loses his spot to Christensen. The timing is what it is because this thread was posted today. Should people wait to complain until we lose? They'd also catch flak for doing that.

Was just going to say this. Had Rangers lost 6-1 tonight and people complained that we should've played Avery then people would say Avery wouldnt have made a difference.

BrooklynRangersFan 12-11-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 40816577)

That is the point - that the Avery crowd's fervor is based on emotional attachment to his personality and amusement at the bush league crap that he pulls rather than his actual value as a hockey player.

I readily admit that he played well his first couple of games back and that he had one other good game a week or so back - but other than that, he's been invisible. So, fourth liner that he is, he got swapped out for another fourth liner. Hey, if the team goes stagnant and loses a couple of games I have no problem with him being subbed back in for Christensen in an effort to provide some kind of spark. (Frankly, I don't expect either of the players in question to be here this time next year.) Yet, because he's Sean WWE Avery he's supposed to be afforded some special treatment. The OP is ticked off that he sat; I'm ticked off that there is a contingent of Rangers fans that idolize him as they do.

RGY 12-11-2011 11:10 PM

Avery deserves to play because he is and has been better than Erik Christensen for this team. There is no reason EC should play. He is glaringly inconsistent and for the most part looks depressed out there when he plays. He just doesn't look into it mentally. He doesnt look motivated.

And I dont care for Avery all that much but there's no reason he should be sitting for EC. Maybe Torts rationale was because it was back-to-back nights the team might not be as sharp if the game goes to a shootout he has EC to go to? Who knows.

noupf 12-11-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch (Post 40805271)
torts needs to show everyone that he is in charge. every now and then he does something that screams "look at me!!" kinda like a little kid looking for attention.

see the post above. when avery becomes invisible, you change the lineup....or at least thats what i thought a coach was hired to do, no ???

When avery plays effectively, he help spark the team. when he doesnt play with an edge, he provides little to get the team going.

when he comes back and plays hard and with an edge, he will help keep the momentum. when he sclacks off, this scenario will play again.

RGY 12-11-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noupf (Post 40818347)
see the post above. when avery becomes invisible, you change the lineup....or at least thats what i thought a coach was hired to do, no ???

When avery plays effectively, he help spark the team. when he doesnt play with an edge, he provides little to get the team going.

when he comes back and plays hard and with an edge, he will help keep the momentum. when he sclacks off, this scenario will play again.

what has christensen done this year to earn a spot? and you're really selling avery short here, he has done more than just "spark" the team. He has scored a couple goals, played with more of an edge than EC, gets in on the forecheck. There was no reason to scratch him for Christensen

clmetsfan 12-12-2011 12:32 AM

There's a very good argument to be made that as long as they're playing just 5-10 minutes of 4th line duty, then Christensen can have much more of an impact on a game than Avery due to his shootout prowess. If he's in the lineup against Tampa then maybe we pull out the two points.