HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Criticism of Briere and JVR (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1053025)

DeflatedFootball7 12-12-2011 11:49 AM

Criticism of Briere and JVR

As I have said I've been trying to be more positive. I noticed looking through some of the game threads that Briere and JVR seem to get a lot of flak. I haven't paid much attention to their stats so I took a quick look.

Briere has 9 goals and 14 assists in 26 games.

JVR has 8 goals and 8 assists in 23.

JVR certainly has room for improvement stats wise but he has been hurt. Briere however is producing at a normal Danny Briere rate. I think their biggest flaws personally are Briere's stick infractions, and JVR is prone to defensive lapses.

So basically I have a question for you guys. When you say things like "JVR sighting" or "Damn you Hobbit do something!" etc etc. What are your expectations for them? Any input is appreciated.

Flyerfan4life 12-12-2011 11:55 AM

i think Briere is more a by product of what kind of linemates he has or has not

i noticed when Roo went down that Hobbit was instantly awesome with Jagr n Harts

JVR is alot like Coby that when hes switched on hes a treat to watch. but when not amped they tend to be average to flat

StandingCow 12-12-2011 11:56 AM

JvR has been kinda "meh".

Briere on the other hand... I am not worried about him, come playoff time he goes into beast mode. That alone makes him worth his contract.

Spongolium* 12-12-2011 11:58 AM

The line of JVR - Briere - Simmonds doesn't work. When they are seperated, they (all of a sudden) become the players that we all want them to be.

Crazy that.

Beef Invictus 12-12-2011 12:05 PM

JVR has continued his inconsistency.

Jtown 12-12-2011 12:12 PM

Jvr put together 2 great games and then has this most recent setback.

I llike JVR but really he needs to show some more diversity in his game. He also needs to become a lot more physical. He may be the worst forechecker Ive ever seen. He rarely capitalizes on a big hit. I think this year i want to see a little more grit from him.

santapore 12-12-2011 12:13 PM

briere rules and jvr sucks...that my opinion. i been screaming almost every game this season that i would be so happy if jvr would be sold. he's game sucks so many lvl...only good side is his speed. hes pretty fast but stick handling and head is so...awful.

youthoftoday 12-12-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 40831337)
JVR has continued his inconsistency.

At least he is consistent.

RoDu 12-12-2011 12:21 PM

What happened to that hungry beast mode JvR?

Jtown 12-12-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 40831999)

When I think about it, The Bruins D were not prepared to cover JVR for 150 feet. He also Had Giroux

BillDineen 12-12-2011 12:29 PM

JVR generated 70 shots in 11 playoff games and he has 75 in 23 games this year. While it would be difficult to consistently play at his level from the playoffs, I think everyone has expected more. He needs to take people on more and drive to the net imo.

dats81 12-12-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Got slayed by the fat contract they were throwing at him :naughty:

Seriously, there are still enough games left to turn it on but he better start showing something special soon since the fanbase is getting sour on him.

Xegiie 12-12-2011 01:00 PM

have to admit i didn't know who JVR is before season started, but everyone was talking about him as some hockey semi god, well i feel dissapointed as JVR isn't showing anything i'd be telling about
btw if i remember Jagr played with him in begining of season and he was draging Jagr down just my opinion

Krishna 12-12-2011 01:02 PM

JVR is starting to turn into a Coburn type character..

Has all the tools in the world but doesnt always put them together..
When he does, its great to watch him..

McNasty 12-12-2011 01:21 PM

Personally I think JVR is much more of a scoring threat from the right side, I feel like when he's on the left he settles for wristers from the wing. He seems much more comfortable attacking the net when he comes down the RW. They also really need to end the experiment of him on the point during powerplays, yes he shoots hard but he looks so uncomfortable in that position.

mirimon 12-12-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 (Post 40830721)
As I have said I've been trying to be more positive. I noticed looking through some of the game threads that Briere and JVR seem to get a lot of flak. I haven't paid much attention to their stats so I took a quick look.

Briere has 9 goals and 14 assists in 26 games.

JVR has 8 goals and 8 assists in 23.

JVR certainly has room for improvement stats wise but he has been hurt. Briere however is producing at a normal Danny Briere rate. I think their biggest flaws personally are Briere's stick infractions, and JVR is prone to defensive lapses.

So basically I have a question for you guys. When you say things like "JVR sighting" or "Damn you Hobbit do something!" etc etc. What are your expectations for them? Any input is appreciated.

We are spoiled fans. Part of the problem for JvR and Brière is that when they're not contributing offensively, they aren't really contributing at all. They are both more or less terrible defensively. JvR has some time to grow and learn there, but Brière is what he is.

Brière has picked up his game considerably after having had a putrid start to the season.

As for JvR, I guess it's kind of a good thing that we're disappointed when he's pacing for 25 25 50 numbers. I had hoped to see a more complete game from him this season though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 40832339)
JVR generated 70 shots in 11 playoff games and he has 75 in 23 games this year. While it would be difficult to consistently play at his level from the playoffs, I think everyone has expected more. He needs to take people on more and drive to the net imo.

I think there's been some positive signs in his game from just prior to his injury, in this regard. He's been using his speed and strength to get towards the net more frequently than early on in the season. He definitely could do it even more though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xegiie (Post 40833585)
have to admit i didn't know who JVR is before season started, but everyone was talking about him as some hockey semi god, well i feel dissapointed as JVR isn't showing anything i'd be telling about
btw if i remember Jagr played with him in begining of season and he was draging Jagr down just my opinion

JvR started out on the left wing with Giroux and Jagr, it didn't click however. Jagr and Giroux kept the puck for themselves mostly and JvR never found his place on that line. Don't know if I would say that it was completely JvR's fault that it didn't work out perfectly. (This was when Hartnell kind of struggled as well and we had threads about putting him on the fourth line or even trading him...)

Cmoneyflyguy 12-12-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santapore (Post 40831703)
briere rules and jvr sucks...that my opinion. i been screaming almost every game this season that i would be so happy if jvr would be sold. he's game sucks so many lvl...only good side is his speed. hes pretty fast but stick handling and head is so...awful.

Well said...
:rolleyes:

Beef Invictus 12-12-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xegiie (Post 40833585)

There were a lot of high hopes for him this season because he played out of his mind in the Boston series. If you check out his highlights you'll see where people were coming from

Giroux tha Damaja 12-12-2011 02:30 PM

I don't think JVR is that bad defensively. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's decent enough.

Clyde Donovan 12-12-2011 02:33 PM

I'm still amazed at how people can get on Briere. Haven't his playoff performances his 2008 shown you how valuable this guy is in the postseason. I don't care if he goes pointless throughout the regular season, he is one of the most valuable assets in the league come playoff time.

McNasty 12-12-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 40837319)
I don't think JVR is that bad defensively. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's decent enough.

It's not a matter of ability, he's just been caught watching the puck (he's not alone either) far too often lately.

usahockey22flyers 12-12-2011 03:49 PM

JvR would be producing a lof more with G. Hes playing decent, His linemates are not as good as creators as Giroux.

Still, i dont think his points/to games is nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Briere will be his normal self come March.

Beef Invictus 12-12-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers (Post 40840669)
JvR would be producing a lof more with G. Hes playing decent, His linemates are not as good as creators as Giroux.

Still, i dont think his points/to games is nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Briere will be his normal self come March.

Technically he's his normal self now.

Larry44 12-12-2011 04:00 PM

JVR had an injury to start the season, finally got over it, then got hurt again.

Briere had an injury early, and has been playing just fine, while breaking in an ever changing cast of wingers.

Now that he's settled in with Simmonds and Read, they are dangerous all the time.

Briere will never be the greatest defensive C, but I am finding it hard to pick on any of our players given they are on a 5 game winning streak against some credible competition and with some key injuries.

SgtJoseph 12-12-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

I am seriously thinking that mode is chemically induced during the playoffs when all drug testing stops....I honestly believe this.