HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Roman Josi (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1054617)

nally 12-14-2011 08:06 AM

Roman Josi

Hello Pred's fans

Wanted to know your thoughts on how Josi has looked since his call up. Have him in my keeper league and I'm hoping for good things. Wasn't expecting anything this year...but do you think he'll play a top 4 role? Is he getting pp time? Positioning, hockey sense, outlet, skating, physicality? Anything you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

101st_fan 12-14-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nally (Post 40929985)
Hello Pred's fans

Wanted to know your thoughts on how Josi has looked since his call up. Have him in my keeper league and I'm hoping for good things. Wasn't expecting anything this year...but do you think he'll play a top 4 role? Is he getting pp time? Positioning, hockey sense, outlet, skating, physicality? Anything you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

For now he's a 3rd pair guy who is getting a little 2nd PP unit time. To me, his skating and puck handling have looked pretty good but he's prone to rookie mistakes ... caught out of position from time to time, making the wrong read, etc. It's obvious that the talent is there but that he still needs some seasoning at this level to thrive.

barrytrotzsneck 12-14-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 40930575)
For now he's a 3rd pair guy who is getting a little 2nd PP unit time. To me, his skating and puck handling have looked pretty good but he's prone to rookie mistakes ... caught out of position from time to time, making the wrong read, etc. It's obvious that the talent is there but that he still needs some seasoning at this level to thrive.

Agreed. His skating and passing are clearly his assets. He needs to work on his gaps and also looks like he's getting outmuscled a bit down low. Definitely a lot of raw potential at this point.

torero 12-14-2011 03:07 PM

As said above, prone to some rookie mistakes.

But ... but he may score 0.33 points per game .... which is not nothing ! (1st year NHL)
And he learns quickly.
I dare saying that if he has no injury, he may fill up a 2nd line (top 4) D position.
And if he would be paired with Weber ... he could even go for a 0.5 pt/game.

worstfaceoffmanever 12-14-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 40930575)

Totally agree with that assessment. He has a ton of potential, but he's not ready for big minutes just yet.

theoneandonly 12-15-2011 03:38 PM

There has been some positive things about his play but what I noticed the most about s Josi is that he has been getting walked over a lot. Losing the the puck or not being able to get the puck which has lead to a goal or scoring chance.

kypredsfan 12-15-2011 11:37 PM

He's looking ok. Only 1 of the 3 Red Wings goals tonight was against him and that was on their power play. He's not physical but did let off a rocket of a shot. Too bad it went over the goal.

Prederator 12-16-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kypredsfan (Post 41022387)
He's looking ok. Only 1 of the 3 Red Wings goals tonight was against him and that was on their power play. He's not physical but did let off a rocket of a shot. Too bad it went over the goal.

I think he looks good. He and Hillen are a serviceable 3rd pairing. You can see the coaches have them on a short leash however as their minutes are usually limited below 15 per game. They are winning with Josi in the line-up. He has survived Ellis, Sloan, Laakso, Ekholm and Blum for now.

Cashville 12-16-2011 02:10 PM

I am also bullish on Josi's long term prospects, but does anyone else think that he is very slow? Twice last night he got passed going into the corner by people a good four strides behind him (and it wasnt a Darren Helm-esque speed player either).

barrytrotzsneck 12-16-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashville (Post 41042595)
I am also bullish on Josi's long term prospects, but does anyone else think that he is very slow? Twice last night he got passed going into the corner by people a good four strides behind him (and it wasnt a Darren Helm-esque speed player either).

His skating is actually a strong suit. He's not lightning fast...but above average.

I think his positioning is causing him to get beat\lose his man more than his speed, but positioning is a lot easier to improve, and should get better naturally as he gets used to the pace of the NHL.

101st_fan 12-16-2011 04:15 PM

There are times he does a great job using his body and times he comes up short. Typical rookie errors.

torero 12-29-2011 01:46 AM

I am impressed by Josi, he has 15 NHL games under the belt and is a top TOI in the team after Suter (because of Weber's injury) ... but he did it yesterday and will do it again (he has the capacity to do it).

He deals with opponents first lines .... and is not doing the rookie mistakes he use to 10 games ago. (he's been a fast learner !)

Even among the top of the other teams, he is able to have a very smart first pass, to skate up the ice to the opposing team and deliver a shot .... (to be followed for rebounds ...) ... great vision and keeps a good execution in spite of the level of the opponents.

I am just surprised he doesn't score more ... he already surprised me with this in Milwaukee ... (in Switzerland his goals/assist ratio was higher) ... ice rink size consequence ?? role in team ??(he was also a D!)

All in all ... i am seriously impressed.

JawandaPuck 12-29-2011 01:56 AM

He's impressed the coach as well. In Klein and Weber's absence, Josi among all other d-men including vets Cube & Hillen, is the one playing the bulk of the PK TOI in tandem with Suter.

Ellis is getting the PP TOI as Weber's big shot temporary replacement.

Blum, despite his def miscues is scoring during ES against team's second and third lines.

NSH has a bright future on the blueline.

kypredsfan 12-29-2011 02:10 AM

Funny how 2 weeks changes things. He's gone from 3rd pairing with hillen to 1st pairing with Suter. :laugh:

Yes, I know it's because Weber is out, but he has looked pretty solid. For a rookie, you can't expect much better than he has played thus far.

I Will Son 12-29-2011 02:27 AM

And to think we also have Ekholm, COR, Karlsson, etc....

PredsV82 12-29-2011 06:33 AM

Its always nice to see a player that poile traded up to draft come through. I believe he dealt two second rounders to someone for the right tomove up in the second to draft josi. Looking like a good call. I think he did the same thing with wilson. That appears to be paying off too.

NoNecksCurse 12-29-2011 01:38 PM

he gets a B+ from me so far.. only getting better

preds1 12-29-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse (Post 41608751)
he gets a B+ from me so far.. only getting better

Yep, I'll give him a B so far. Pleasantly surprised and hope to see him pot a few more from the blue line.

glenngineer 12-29-2011 06:31 PM

Stud in the making. Cool and calm under pressure. Reads the play well. Great puck handler. Good with decisions with the puck. Looked real good with Suter the last couple of nights. Can't complain one bit about his play.

worstfaceoffmanever 12-29-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 41597941)
Its always nice to see a player that poile traded up to draft come through. I believe he dealt two second rounders to someone for the right tomove up in the second to draft josi. Looking like a good call. I think he did the same thing with wilson. That appears to be paying off too.

We traded a second (46th) and a third (76th) for Josi. The second rounder was traded by Phoenix to Florida, who tabbed Colby Robak with it. Phoenix used the 76th pick on Mathieu Brodeur. The Yotes also ended up getting Jared Staal and Justin Weller as a result of the exchange. Staal is no longer in the organization (traded to Carolina) and Weller is a marginal player on an average Red Deer team.

Probably TMI, but I just find it funny that Phoenix got absolutely nothing out of that whole exchange despite having the most picks, while Nashville and Florida both got great young defensemen. :laugh:

Josi played really well last night, and he seems to have only gotten better over the last couple of weeks. He's by far the best skater of the "Little 3" and that has helped him make the transition to the NHL very smoothly. He doesn't panic, he doesn't force the play... he has a very, very high ceiling.

WartracePred 12-29-2011 08:06 PM

How good was Blummer in his first 20 games last season. Give it time guys, he'll disappoint.

elduderino 12-30-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 41624541)
Josi played really well last night, and he seems to have only gotten better over the last couple of weeks. He's by far the best skater of the "Little 3" and that has helped him make the transition to the NHL very smoothly. He doesn't panic, he doesn't force the play... he has a very, very high ceiling.

There's a reason why the coaches in Milwaukee as well as the scouts of the Predators were praising Josi so much since coming over. There will be bumps in the road no doubt. He will face tough games, playing through injury and what not in his first NHL season. But I have no doubt - after watching this kid in Switzerland as a 16-year old in a men's league dominating - that the ceiling indeed is very high for this kid. Let's just pray that he won't have any more concussions in the near term future.

kypredsfan 12-30-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WartracePred (Post 41625467)
How good was Blummer in his first 20 games last season. Give it time guys, he'll disappoint.

Damn negative nancy, let's get SOB back and then you'll really be in a bad mood. :laugh:

Also, as the poster above mentioned, Josi has been getting all the praise from coaching in Milwaukee, not Blum. Blum will be fine but Josi should be a stud.

WartracePred 12-30-2011 01:16 PM

Ya know, I remember a comment about Josi when he first came to MIL. Something along the lines that he had the most upside of any player since Suter played there. If he stays healthy, he should be a stud Dman. But give him time to grow. We usually think 5 solid games means the guy is ready for the allstar game. I just think keeping things in perspective will keep us from being too disappointed when mistakes start popping up. Remember Wilson's play last season. The notion of the sophomore slump is not just idle talk.

Roman Yoshi 12-31-2011 03:09 PM

Very impressed with josi. He's everything expected and more. Should develope into a solid 3rd man on the depth chart