HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   OT: Visiting Slovenia (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1055011)

FootKnight 12-14-2011 05:35 PM

Visiting Slovenia
 
I'm posting this here instead of the Lounge or whatever, because I know the Slovene posters on HF visit the Kings board; hopefully it's appropriate and doesn't get moved. I would normally ask people I work with from the countries I would like to visit, but there's no one at work from any of the former Yugoslav countries.

So, I'm in the initial planning stages for a couple motorcycle trips, one being down through the German and Austrian Eastern Alps through the Julian Alps then down through Slovenia and into Croatia. I was looking at stopping in Bled, Ljubljana (still can't figure out how to pronounce that properly), and then possibly Zadar for a few days on the beach before heading back.

Is there anything else I should see in Slovenia besides Triglav and Ljubljana? I was also thinking that, since I'm down there, I could go through the rest of the former Yugoslav countries as well. See Belgrade, Sarajevo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Kosovo, any advice on that?

alpa 12-14-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootKnight (Post 40949859)
I'm posting this here instead of the Lounge or whatever, because I know the Slovene posters on HF visit the Kings board; hopefully it's appropriate and doesn't get moved. I would normally ask people I work with from the countries I would like to visit, but there's no one at work from any of the former Yugoslav countries.

So, I'm in the initial planning stages for a couple motorcycle trips, one being down through the German and Austrian Eastern Alps through the Julian Alps then down through Slovenia and into Croatia. I was looking at stopping in Bled, Ljubljana (still can't figure out how to pronounce that properly), and then possibly Zadar for a few days on the beach before heading back.

Is there anything else I should see in Slovenia besides Triglav and Ljubljana? I was also thinking that, since I'm down there, I could go through the rest of the former Yugoslav countries as well. See Belgrade, Sarajevo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Kosovo, any advice on that?

I would recommend Postojnska jama, just outside Ljubljana, some fantastic caves and absolutely something worth seeing. But be aware that it is very cold in the caves.

FootKnight 12-14-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpa (Post 40950307)
I would recommend Postojnska jama, just outside Ljubljana, some fantastic caves and absolutely something worth seeing. But be aware that it is very cold in the caves.

20,570 meters long? Holy ****, that definitely looks like something I would like to see, thanks. I went through Neptune's Grotto when I went to Sardinia, but it sounds like that doesn't compare. Looks like there's a pretty sweet castle there too.

Also, I was thinking about doing this in mid-April, how do you think that would be weather-wise?

TheSlovenian 12-14-2011 06:10 PM

Bled is like a must see in Slovenia (all Triglav national park is a must see also), then Postojnska jama (Postojna cave), Škocjanske jame (Škocjan Caves - also in UNESCO world heritage). Ljubljana is also very beautifull and "small" capital city (I am not being biased just because I live here :D ), just a lot to see. If you have time, you could also visit Predjama castle (George R.R. Martin was there in June) which is near Postojna. Need more info?

alpa 12-14-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootKnight (Post 40950867)
20,570 meters long? Holy ****, that definitely looks like something I would like to see, thanks. Looks like there's a pretty sweet castle there too.

Also, I was thinking about doing this in mid-April, how do you think that would be weather-wise?

I am mostly familiar with the weather in Sweden since I live here, and April here is a 50/50 windy and cold as hell and warm and windy. But down there I don't know. Locals should be answering that one. Don't miss Ljubljana castle there are some surprises at that place when you mix old and modern. You will see what i mean when you get there.

Albi 12-14-2011 06:12 PM

I'm from Milan, but I often go to Slovenia for business and trust me, if you go there, you must ride through the Triglav valley. That place is Heaven on earth, you can't miss it.

On a side note, instead of Germany and Austria, I suggest you to think about a ride in Tuscany and/or on the Dolomites (Brad Pitt and George Clooney already made a few trips with their bikes there).

FootKnight 12-14-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSlovenian (Post 40951307)
Bled is like a must see in Slovenia (all Triglav national park is a must see also), then Postojnska jama (Postojna cave), Škocjanske jame (Škocjan Caves - also in UNESCO world heritage). Ljubljana is also very beautifull and "small" capital city (I am not being biased just because I live here :D ), just a lot to see. If you have time, you could also visit Predjama castle (George R.R. Martin was there in June) which is near Postojna. Need more info?

Damn, you guys have a lot of sweet caves I see. I enjoy kind of doing "on the fly" trips on the bike, meaning I'll just get a map/talk to locals and look for interesting stuff, so anything you give me is good. How do you think the weather in April would be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpa (Post 40951361)
I am mostly familiar with the weather in Sweden since I live here, and April here is a 50/50 windy and cold as hell and warm and windy. But down there I don't know. Locals should be answering that one. Don't miss Ljubljana castle there are some surprises at that place when you mix old and modern. You will see what i mean when you get there.

Right, I met you in Stockholm this year, I forgot that you live in Sweden. I definitely enjoy visiting castles, so I'll check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi (Post 40951385)
I'm from Milan, but I often go to Slovenia for business and trust me, if you go there, you must ride through the Triglav valley. That place is Heaven on earth, you can't miss it.

On a side note, instead of Germany and Austria, I suggest you to think about a ride in Tuscany and/or on the Dolomites (Brad Pitt and George Clooney already made a few trips with their bikes there).

I'm coming down from Belgium, so as good as Tuscany and the Dolomites sound, Germany and Austria are really just kind of on the way. Plus, I do kind of want to see the Eagle's Nest near Berchtesgaden. Triglav valley is definitely in the plan though.

nki 12-14-2011 06:37 PM

April and May you have days where it can change on the fly, you could go from a big storm to sunny in 20 minutes. Those are pretty much the only two months where you have weather changing on the fly. The usual scenario is to wake up into a sunny day then have a short storm come out of nowhere in the late afternoon then it goes back to being sunny. Other than that mid-April should be around 15 degrees Celsius. It's still possible it gets cold sometimes in the morning around 5 or so, but it's also possible you will have some warm days hitting 20. Either way I suggest you bring an umbrella with you.

FootKnight 12-14-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nki (Post 40952311)
April and May you have days where it can change on the fly, you could go from a big storm to sunny in 20 minutes. Those are pretty much the only two months where you have weather changing on the fly. The usual scenario is to wake up into a sunny day then have a short storm come out of nowhere in the late afternoon then it goes back to being sunny. Other than that mid-April should be around 15 degrees Celsius. It's still possible it gets cold sometimes in the morning around 5 or so, but it's also possible you will have some warm days hitting 20. Either way I suggest you bring an umbrella with you.

Hmm, that kind of sounds like what I had when I rode through Normandy this June, which was a bit of of a pain with the incredibly unpredictable weather on the bike. The other trip I was thinking about was through Portugal and Spain, maybe I can swap them and do Slovenia/Croatia in June/July instead.

gtwyc 12-14-2011 07:40 PM

Take a pic of the cave kopi grew up in!

alpa 12-15-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootKnight (Post 40952135)



Right, I met you in Stockholm this year, I forgot that you live in Sweden. I definitely enjoy visiting castles, so I'll check it out.

WTF??? We met?? LOL I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that. My teflon memory strikes again. I enjoyed the meeting in Stockholm so I feel a bit like an ass right now for not recalling but it all starts to come back now. Regarding the pic's and videos that I promised to post, I couldn't since the royal half is always deleting himself from his pic's and he is all over the place on my pic's so I didn't want to reveal to the world that he is actually Clark Kent.

He does not want to be seen I guess, so who am I to **** that up.

Weather; You should definitely go in June and July, it did sound on nki that they have the same weather as we (Sweden) have in April. I guess you were planing to get up to the castle in Bled and I recommend you drive your bike as far as it goes or you will be walking uphill for 30 minutes before getting there and if you are not fit that is a bit though in summer time if you decide for June/July. The walk on the other side of it is refreshing but be prepared.

Edit 40 went to 30.

FootKnight 12-15-2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpa (Post 40972563)
WTF??? We met?? LOL I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that. My teflon memory strikes again. I enjoyed the meeting in Stockholm so I feel a bit like an ass right now for not recalling but it all starts to come back now. Regarding the pic's and videos that I promised to post, I couldn't since the royal half is always deleting himself from his pic's and he is all over the place on my pic's so I didn't want to reveal to the world that he is actually Clark Kent.

He does not want to be seen I guess, so who am I to **** that up.

Weather; You should definitely go in June and July, it did sound on nki that they have the same weather as we (Sweden) have in April. I guess you were planing to get up to the castle in Bled and I recommend you drive your bike as far as it goes or you will be walking uphill for 30 minutes before getting there and if you are not fit that is a bit though in summer time if you decide for June/July. The walk on the other side of it is refreshing but be prepared.

Edit 40 went to 30.

Haha, don't worry about it, I'm forgettable and don't post that much anyway.

likid 12-15-2011 03:12 AM

If you are riding motorbike, then June/July is must for you. You can expect temperatures over 30 degree C and almost no rain at all in this two months.

Slovenia is mostly known by their nature. Over 50% of the land is covered with forests and from SW to NE (on largest diagonal of the country) is cca. 330 km of driving.

W of the country is coastal part, NW are Alps, central part of the country is filled with hills and valleys and E part of the country is flat land filled with fields.

Here is one film shoving about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ougQf...eature=related

What to see it was already described in previous posts:

- Postonska cave is probably the most known destination. At the start you go with smll train through caves few km, then you have guided tour by walking cca. 3 km through different caves and at the end you drive back (not the same route) with train.
- Triglav valley because of it's natural beauty
- Bled
- Ljubljana (very clean and nice capital)
- if you go to the east side of the country, then you must stop in Maribor (second largest city), here is also the oldest wineyard in the world in the center of the city (over 400 years old). This part of the country is known for wineyards hills with many good points to stop and taste local wine.
- I can also recomend Logarska valley (one of the most picturesque valley in Slovenia), that can be reached on a way between Ljubljana and Maribor

TheSlovenian 12-15-2011 04:21 AM

I agree with everything about the weather. June/July is very friendly weather, especially for bikers (usually almost no rain for most of the summer). April could be rainy and not so warm. Logarska valley is besides Triglav valley probably the most beautiful place in Slovenia. And if you will go to Triglav national park and that part of Slovenia you should visit (if you have time):As you can see, there is a lot to do just in Triglav national park. I advise you to visit THIS web page for more other info.

alpa 12-15-2011 01:22 PM

You guys are doing a hell of a good job promoting Slovenija. Good work.;)

Tadite 12-15-2011 01:26 PM

I second Bled. Beautiful place. Wish I'd had more time to explore the country.

TheSlovenian 12-16-2011 05:49 AM

10 reasons to travel to Ljubljana.

Video about Bled.

Video about Postojna Cave.

FootKnight 12-16-2011 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

Buck Aki Berg 04-04-2012 09:14 AM

Hey FootKnight, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'll take any opportunity I can to gush about my experiences in Slovenia - in 2007 I spent about five weeks in Slovenia and Croatia, as well as Belgrade and Sarajevo.

Nobody has made mention of the Slovenian coast (all eleven feet of it :laugh:). My first stop in Slovenia was Piran, set on a peninsula jutting into the Adriatic - there isn't a ton to do there, but it's impossibly beautiful. Don't come back without having watched the sunset from the top of the town walls - it's an experience that borders on life-affirming.

Bled seems to be getting a lot of love, but I found myself less than enamoured with it (even though a picture of Lake Bled is what started my infatuation with that part of the world). It's worth a day or two for a walk around the lake, but I found it a little tacky with the development right on the waterfront. For a more natural setting, you'll like Lake Bohinj better.

I'm sure you've done your homework on Ljubljana, so I can't really add much - all you need to know is that it's exactly as charming as you're expecting it to be :nod:

It might be worth your while to check out the eastern part of the country - I took a day trip to Maribor and Ptuj (both were beautiful, but if you have to choose, go with the latter. I rather liked the rustic-medieval feel that Ptuj offered). I think it's worth it just for the scenery along the way - the Slovenian countryside is beautiful, and it's still close enough that you can be back in Ljubljana in time for a late dinner if you don't want to change hotels.

Belgrade and Sarajevo are not to be missed if you can squeeze them in - Belgrade makes an awful first impression: the city centre is dirty and reeks of car fumes, but if you give it a chance you'll find a beautiful and bustling city with a lively pedestrian zone just north of the city centre. Sarajevo still has visible scars from the Seige, but they're getting back on their feet, and it's a very unique city in a gorgeous natural setting, flanked by rugged hills on three sides. Pro-tip: the hills to the east offer some spectacular views of the valley and the city - climb up there around sunset and listen to the call to prayer emanating from the loudspeakers of dozens of mosques simultaneously, and echoing through the valley below you.

FootKnight 04-04-2012 04:05 PM

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I moved this trip to July, so it's not too late, Buck.

After likid had recommended Maribor, I looked up more about the eastern part of Slovenia and realized I had overestimated the size of the country when first thinking about the trip. I figured I could swing through the eastern part on the way back maybe, but since Maribor and Ptuj are only about an hour and a half away, I think that sounds like a really nice day trip from Ljubljana instead, as you did it.

I might not be able to take enough time off to swing through Belgrade and Sarajevo, but I'll know more as we get closer to July and am still considering trying. After reading some of the stuff TheSlovenian linked, I was thinking about maybe spending a bit more time in Slovenia than I had originally planned as well.

Thanks for the post!

likid 04-04-2012 04:56 PM

He, he. Maribor and Ptuj are 22km apart or 15 min drive on highway. From Ljubljana to Maribor is cca. 130 km distance or around 1 hour drive on higway.

Our country is realy small. From top NE part of SLO till SW coastal part is good 300 km or around 3 hours to drive on highway.

FootKnight 07-11-2012 03:12 PM

There's a thunderstorm raging in Bled right now, so I figured I'd post while waiting for it to clear up.

Got here yesterday and did the tourist bits, going to the island and castle and swimming in the lake. Road the motorcycle all over Triglav National Park all day today, absolutely beautiful area with some roads with some serious hairpins, especially going South into the park from Kranjska Gora.

Heading to Ljubljana tomorrow.

MsWoof 07-11-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootKnight (Post 52430635)
There's a thunderstorm raging in Bled right now, so I figured I'd post while waiting for it to clear up.

Got here yesterday and did the tourist bits, going to the island and castle and swimming in the lake. Road the motorcycle all over Triglav National Park all day today, absolutely beautiful area with some roads with some serious hairpins, especially going South into the park from Kranjska Gora.

Heading to Ljubljana tomorrow.

I trust you're taking pics? If you put them on Flickr ro something you will share, right?

FootKnight 07-11-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 52431409)
I trust you're taking pics? If you put them on Flickr ro something you will share, right?

I don't have a Flickr account or anything, but yeah, I'll post some pictures when I get back.

saintsnsoldiers 07-11-2012 05:38 PM

Keep the post coming, thinking about Ljubljana for a trip. I have a 12 year old who playes AA Peewees. How is the hockey over there, can we billet my son over there need to look into that .... Looks like a great place to live.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.