HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Sundher signed to 3 Year ELC (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1055557)

Rammstein816 12-15-2011 10:50 AM

Sundher signed to 3 Year ELC

Per sabres twitter:

SabresDotComBuffalo Sabres

The Buffalo #Sabres have signed 2010 draft pick Kevin Sundher to a 3-year entry-level contract.

Good that they got this done early. Not a huge surprise though, he's been playing great this year.

Chainshot 12-15-2011 10:52 AM

Interesting. No need to wait.

HiddenInLight 12-15-2011 10:53 AM

Maybe he's the next call up -_-

Zip15 12-15-2011 10:53 AM

Good news. Hope people don't get snarky about it because the big club is in a slump.

struckbyaparkedcar 12-15-2011 10:56 AM

Coincidence, or could he actually be an emergency recall if somebody else gets hurt?

BackGroundMusic 12-15-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 40981569)
Coincidence, or could he actually be an emergency recall if somebody else gets hurt?

It would have to be a big emergency. There's a lot of hoops to jump through before something like that can happen.

Rammstein816 12-15-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

I'm going to with coincidence, considering they signed Pysyk before the season started and there has been no mention of him being called up. As many have mentioned before, this is the way the rest of the league works, the Sabres are just catching up.

Zip15 12-15-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

I would think that they'd just recall someone from Rochester, and fill the Amerks' vacancy with an ECHL'er. They're down in Texas now, but I'd imagine it would be no more difficult to summon someone from Texas than it would from Victoria, BC.

S319R11S16 12-15-2011 10:59 AM

Theres out #1C :sarcasm:

HiddenInLight 12-15-2011 11:00 AM

Maybe they are looking at moving him up to rochester to help to fill in a bit for all the players we have taken from there...

Chainshot 12-15-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiddenInLight (Post 40981693)
Maybe they are looking at moving him up to rochester to help to fill in a bit for all the players we have taken from there...

No can do. The CHL and AHL have an agreement that players coming from the CHL have to be 20 years old before Jan. 1st of the season they're in. He's not 20 until next month.

DixonWard15 12-15-2011 11:08 AM

So why would they sign this deal now during the middle of season and not at the end? I don't know very much about ELCs

HiddenInLight 12-15-2011 11:10 AM

If they can't move him to the AHL maybe it was his agent that approached buffalo due to good performance.

Chainshot 12-15-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixonWard15 (Post 40981961)
So why would they sign this deal now during the middle of season and not at the end? I don't know very much about ELCs

It's not uncommon throughout the rest of the league to get these things done. It's just years of Regier-mortis around here and it seems new/unusual.

New Sabres Captain 12-15-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

It has to get done at some point in time before June 1. Since there was no way they were going to let him go unsigned (and back into the draft), it doesn't matter when they sign him. In past years, Regier would wait until May, but since Pegula took over he's been more proactive (getting Pysyk signed and now Sundher). Whether that is coincidence or a real directive from ownership I do not know (perhaps Golisano didn't want to spend too much on prospects so Regier could only sign a limited number, while now he's only bound by the league's 50-contract organizational limit).

The reasons for doing it is similar to signing a player to an extension as opposed to waiting until he hits free agency. If the player is having a career year, you might be able to bring down the cost by signing him before his numbers go through the roof. Also, there's the psychological benefit of "having it done".

I'd expect to see more things like this--prospects who are certain to be signed get inked earlier, while those that are toss-ups wait towards May. (Note, this does NOT apply to college players, since once they sign they lose NCAA eligibility so usually teams will wait until right when they want to bring that player into the AHL/NHL before signing, even if they are a slam-dunk to sign.)

jfb392 12-15-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Might as well get it done now instead of negotiating before the June 1st deadline.
It's usually rare for CHL kids to re-enter the draft, but you never want to leave the possibility of getting Tim Erixon'd.

For those wondering, no, this does not count towards our 50 contracts this season.
It also makes Darcy's job this spring pretty easy.
There's only three players from the 2010 draft due for contracts and none of them deserve them (Henley, Shipley, Sutch).

Rammstein816 12-15-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 40983099)
Might as well get it done now instead of negotiating before the June 1st deadline.
It's usually rare for CHL kids to re-enter the draft, but you never want to leave the possibility of getting Tim Erixon'd.

For those wondering, no, this does not count towards our 50 contracts this season.
There's only three players from the 2010 draft due for contracts and none of them deserve them (Henley, Shipley, Sutch).

I think you're forgetting Gauthier-Leduc.

SundherDome 12-15-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 40983099)

I would give Sutch a contract, seems like a hard working Ellis or Gaustad type ..

Ghills23 12-15-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 40982055)
It's not uncommon throughout the rest of the league to get these things done. It's just years of Regier-mortis around here and it seems new/unusual.

Regier-mortis. :biglaugh: That's awesome.

Happy to see Sundher signed. Seems like he's developing well this year.

jfb392 12-15-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammstein816 (Post 40983439)
I think you're forgetting Gauthier-Leduc.

Heh, I am somehow.
Well, make that one negotiation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp (Post 40983461)
I would give Sutch a contract, seems like a hard working Ellis or Gaustad type ..

He just doesn't seem to have NHL-level skills.
Nice story and seems like a nice kid, but I don't see what makes him worthy of an NHL contract.

SundherDome 12-15-2011 12:18 PM

Just seems like a hard worker and maybe an NHL contract may motivate him even more knowing he has a chance. For some reason i just have a feeling, dont know why though.

WhoIsJimBob 12-15-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 40982055)

He also signed Pysyk in June.

I wonder if this is another sign of the handcuffs being off Regier?

Could the previous regime wanted to push things as late as possible to postpone cutting signing bonus checks?

Just a thought....

Rammstein816 12-15-2011 12:30 PM

Perhaps this deserves it's own thread (feel free to break it off if need be). Does anyone else think Regier should take advantage of Pegula owning both teams and offer more AHL contracts (similar to what Varone, Voakes, Legault, and Fienhage are on) to get an extended look at the prospects. Is there a limit to how many players can be signed to AHL contracts? Can they sign a bunch of players and stash them in the ECHL until injuries occur or they deserve a callup? Something about Shipley makes me not want to give up on him. I think it's the raw talent and the fact that the thing holding him back most is his work ethic.

DixonWard15 12-15-2011 01:07 PM

thanks for the information guys

Chainshot 12-15-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 40984773)
He also signed Pysyk in June.

I wonder if this is another sign of the handcuffs being off Regier?

Could the previous regime wanted to push things as late as possible to postpone cutting signing bonus checks?

Just a thought....

He had Kassian done early (by their standards) last year too after camp. Granted, there were some extenuating circumstances there, but still...

It just goes to show how how we as a fan base have been conditioned by their operations over the last decade plus. :biglaugh: