HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gazette Article: Habs Secret Society, Fans kept in the dark (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1055691)

Player 61 12-15-2011 02:25 PM

Gazette Article: Habs Secret Society, Fans kept in the dark

Much better article by Mr. Hickey. Are the Habs behind the times?

"As a private company, the Canadiens are allowed to keep secrets."

Read More: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...287/story.html

hototogisu 12-15-2011 02:42 PM

Just an advance word of warning to keep the discussion limited to this particular Pat Hickey article. Thanks :)

And regarding the article itself...it seems like a lot of fluff. Hickey does a lot of aimless criticizing, but to what purpose? Why is it so bad that the Canadiens are secretive? Who does it hurt? What should they be doing instead? What are the pros and cons of full disclosure versus no disclosure? Instead his article is basically, "the Canadiens do this and it's bad. The end."

Player 61 12-15-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 40990051)
Just an advance word of warning to keep the discussion limited to this particular Pat Hickey article. Thanks :)

And regarding the article itself...it seems like a lot of fluff. Hickey does a lot of aimless criticizing, but to what purpose? Why is it so bad that the Canadiens are secretive? Who does it hurt? What should they be doing instead? What are the pros and cons of full disclosure versus no disclosure? Instead his article is basically, "the Canadiens do this and it's bad. The end."

I think it is BS to lie to the fans in a world of Twitter. It does affect things & makes the fans distrust management & just leads to endless rumors. The NHL want's us to be part of the game, right?

Andy 12-15-2011 02:48 PM

Endless rumors will happen regardless. That's what happens when you 35 journalists covering 1 team. There are more journalists covering the habs than players on the team.

The journalists are pissed because it hurts them the most.

BLONG7 12-15-2011 02:49 PM

Does it seem that in the past, the media has blown things out of proportion, or even made things up, specualting etc Akost,Hammer, darkest day in habs history, etc and this has turned the organization into a ton of quiet, and secrecy?

NotProkofievian 12-15-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

It's BAAAAAAD because all decisions should be reached via CONSENSUS...

MIC CHECK!

*down twinkles to your post*

:sarcasm:

Player 61 12-15-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 40990293)
Endless rumors will happen regardless. That's what happens when you 35 journalists covering 1 team. There are more journalists covering the habs than players on the team.

The journalists are pissed because it hurts them the most.

Thousands of gamblers & people in Hockey Pools also come to mind.

Godzilla 12-15-2011 02:50 PM

Maybe the Montreal press should just boycott the Habs. No interviews, no articles, no nothing.

I wonder how long that would last. :laugh:

Andy 12-15-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs23 (Post 40990367)

Poor gamblers I truly feel sorry for them. :rolleyes:

Agnostic 12-15-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

True. We've been told that the communication function of management is so important that it requires that all senior people be able to communicate in both official languages. Gauthier proves that communication with the public and media is optional.

Hope Geoff is watching and taking good notes.

hototogisu 12-15-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs23 (Post 40990215)
I think it is BS to lie to the fans in a world of Twitter. It does affect things & makes the fans distrust management & just leads to endless rumors. The NHL want's us to be part of the game, the Habs are in the 80's.

Well the problem is actually defining a lie. Did the Habs lie about the Markov situation [assuming that's what's being referred to], or were they as unaware as the rest of us? To say that the Habs lied about that suggests they knew what was going on all along, which I don't necessarily believe is the case.

NewHabsEra* 12-15-2011 02:53 PM

Habs just wanna protect their owns players, some journalists have been abusive in the past and management just wanna avoid controversy as much as possible.. I can understand some journalists being frustrated by this, but they are paying for the Réjean Tremblay of this world... Gauthier only talks when its really necessary, nothing wrong with that approach, it avoid to put yourself and other members of the org., in trouble..

NotProkofievian 12-15-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 40990429)
Poor gamblers I truly feel sorry for them. :rolleyes:

Gambling makes sports way more fun.

Player 61 12-15-2011 02:56 PM

So why is it OK for the Rutherford's & the Burke's to be straight up in their Cities? The Habs treat their fans like children sometimes.

overlords 12-15-2011 02:56 PM

Journalists in this city have bitten the hand that feeds them far too many times. Why should the habs do them any favors?

Player 61 12-15-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 40990609)
Journalists in this city have bitten the hand that feeds them far too many times. Why should the habs do them any favors?

Yeah! But they can put out communiques to the fans then if that's the issue.

NewHabsEra* 12-15-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs23 (Post 40990215)
I think it is BS to lie to the fans in a world of Twitter. It does affect things & makes the fans distrust management & just leads to endless rumors. The NHL want's us to be part of the game, right?

Believe me, it will get even worst if Gauthier starts to comment all situations and all rumors.. Everybody know the reality, Markov's knee takes alot of time to heal, the team isnt playing as expected, some highly paid guys arent doing their job and makes Gauthier's job very tough to handle under a cap era... There is nothing more to say and Gauthier will do his best to improve this team, thats it thats all.. The rest is simply journalism propaganda..

Godzilla 12-15-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 40990457)
Well the problem is actually defining a lie. Did the Habs lie about the Markov situation [assuming that's what's being referred to], or were they as unaware as the rest of us? To say that the Habs lied about that suggests they knew what was going on all along, which I don't necessarily believe is the case.

Tough to say. The Markov incident was very suspect. One day Martin claims he has no idea where Markov is, yet Gauthier comes out next day with an impromptu press conference to put out the fire. Seemed sketchy to me.

Andy 12-15-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 40990609)

Isn't obvious? It's the same as every other as to why we're entitled to everything....BECAUSE WE WON 24 STANLEY CUPS!!!

The media is just tired of mediocrity :sarcasm:

bcv 12-15-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 40990457)

When Martin said that he didn't know where Markov was, I think that was a lie.

hototogisu 12-15-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 40990753)
Tough to say. The Markov incident was very suspect. One day Martin claims he has no idea where Markov is, yet Gauthier comes out next day with an impromptu press conference to put out the fire. Seemed sketchy to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcv (Post 40990831)
When Martin said that he didn't know where Markov was, I think that was a lie.

Yeah that's true, forgot about Martin saying that. I don't know, I guess I'm a cynic - I sort of keep in mind that big businesses always lie to their shareholders (or at least carefully shape the information they receive) and the Habs aren't all that different. So I guess it doesn't really get to me.

Agnostic 12-15-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs23 (Post 40990597)
So why is it OK for the Rutherford's & the Burke's to be straight up in their Cities? The Habs treat their fans like children sometimes.

I've said it many times the Habs cling to the paternalistic ways that were part of the organization in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. They do it with the players, as can be witnessed by the trading of good players who tarnish the reputation of the "family" . Now they do it with the fans and media.

I don't mind because it simply speeds up the process of purging the organization of the Gauthier/Gainey administration.

OneSharpMarble 12-15-2011 03:12 PM

When you don't say anything to the media they tend to speculate and make up their own stories. It is a vicious circle with enough blame to go around.

Godzilla 12-15-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 40990985)
. I sort of keep in mind that big businesses always lie to their shareholders....

Nawwww, that's a figment of your imagination. :sarcasm:

Im sure many Montreal journalists would be able to print a fake interview using all the cliches in the book and the Habs organization would not even notice. Im also sure guys like Red Fisher are tired of interviewing robots.

LyleOdelein 12-15-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs23 (Post 40990367)

I love my fantasy hockey and I have to say that the Caps and Penguins are much worse than the Habs when it comes to covering up injuries. Actually, the Habs are pretty much average in the injury secrecy department.