HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Play it Again Sports trade ins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1056243)

nightfighter 12-16-2011 10:27 AM

Play it Again Sports trade ins

Anyone have experience with trading in stuff at Play It Again Sports? I have some old hockey gear that has gotten too small or just replaced with better stuff. (Old pants, gloves, shoulder pads, helmet with cage) All of it is in good wearable/playable condition.

I'm willing to get anything for these but should I even bother or just give it away?

Also, will they care if there's a funky smell emanating from my gloves or will they clean that up themselves?

650X2 12-16-2011 12:07 PM

You will get better prices on Craigslist because Play It again sports has to make money.

Sell what you can on CL maybe even eBay first.

vapor11 12-16-2011 12:12 PM

I had a sizing mixup with my new skates a few months back..I had already sharpened/used a pair too big for me so my only option were to trade them in..They were a new pair of CCM U+ 06 2011's which I paid $199+tax for..they would only give me $60 in trade in value so they could in return sell the skates for $150

Bryan23 12-16-2011 12:37 PM

I've taken a few things there before. They don't give you much. I traded in shoulder pads and pants, and only got like $15 store credit. (They let you choose between cash or store credit. You get a little more with store credit.) I probably should have put it on craigslist, but I didn't feel like dealing with it.

nightfighter 12-16-2011 05:01 PM

Hmmm I guess it makes sense since they are a business they gotta make a profit somehow lol. Thanks guys.

Ozz 12-17-2011 07:35 AM

I've picked up some great condition used equipment at great prices, so somebody obviously let them go much cheaper for trade-in. Good for an ready and quick transaction, though, if that is valuable to you.

OpenIceHit42 12-17-2011 01:07 PM

I bought a pair of "used" Easton Stealth 12 skates from Play it again for $60. The skates hadn't even been sharpened, guy bought them brand new and didn't like how they felt so he took them to play it again.

hockeyisforeveryone 12-17-2011 02:45 PM

To comment on PIAS, I was there last week looking for skates. The amount of used skates was unreal, a full wall of every brand and size skate from like 2 or 3 decades. Graf, Mission, CCM, Easton, etc. etc! Some were trashed hard, some looked unused. I was bewildered by the choices and ended up getting a pair of Supreme 2090's for 50$. I wish there was a chart somewhere online that showed a history of each companies line of ice skates.

To the OP, you are basically donating your equipment there but it will be going to another hockey player who is in need of something inexpensive.

greyraven8 12-17-2011 03:12 PM

If there is something you want at Play-it-Again for a half decent price, trading in would give you a little towards it - they may take only some of your stuff though.

My local Play-it-Again has less used hockey stuff and more new than it did years ago except for the wall of skates.

If you think you can sell it yourself, craigslist seems to be popular if you are in the states; kijiji is more popular than craigslist in canada.
Problem with selling yourself is people emailing saying they want it and wanting to know where your live and your phone, but they never seem to want to leave their phone number; people lowballing; people showing up hours late to look at stuff or not at all, etc.

nightfighter 12-17-2011 10:49 PM

I think I"ll go in just to see what they offer me. Like i said, I'm not really looking to make a ton of money, just to get rid of it would be nice.

KingNothing4 12-17-2011 11:37 PM

I'd say if it's somewhat valuable, try to sell it yourself. If it's just to get rid of it and not worth the time, just take it to Play It Again.

I'm in the same boat as you, have some stuff (helmet and pants) I'd like to get rid of and thinking about taking it down there to just get rid of it because they are probably low value. I'd like to sell an old pair of skates on CL just because I might actually get some money for them.