HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Outdoor rinks in Montréal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1056277)

RonFournier 12-16-2011 11:11 AM

Outdoor rinks in Montréal
 
Hi everyone, does anyone know around when the outdoor rinks open in Montréal?

I'm new in the city, I live near Jarry park, are the conditions usually good at this rink?

Thanks!

Aspirine 12-16-2011 11:14 AM

I guess that would be when the winter actually arrives.
They're supposed to be open already but what can you do?! It's not even freezing outside...
(For the record, I can't wait either. ****** fall lasting forever!)

EmelinHipCheck 12-16-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspirine (Post 41034895)
I guess that would be when the winter actually arrives.
They're supposed to be open already but what can you do?! It's not even freezing outside...
(For the record, I can't wait either. ****** fall lasting forever!)

The ones i know about: Park right next to Henri-Bourrassa metro, there's one in front of my place in Ville St-Laurent, Park Painther right behind the soccer field, there's one in Cote-Des-Neiges on Jean-Brillant Street. They're everywhere bro !

neofury* 12-16-2011 12:17 PM

I think the real q

neofury* 12-16-2011 12:18 PM

Not sure why it did that sorry somebody please delete..

I think the real question is are there parks in Montreal that don't have these? :laugh:

MJG 12-16-2011 12:23 PM

^^ double post ^^

Strik_IX 12-16-2011 12:34 PM

There is an absolutely gorgeous outdoor rink just behind Verdun city hall and Verdun metro station. Full boards and all, the caliber is pretty high though.

Talent Analyst 12-16-2011 12:45 PM

There is one already open near metro St-Michel, the quality is great and the level is good when there is not too much kids in here. :nod: I finish my exams tomorrow, so I will be there right after my exam :)

RonFournier 12-16-2011 01:04 PM

Nice thanks guys I'm gonna go get my ass kicked at the St-Michel metro rink tonight!

MoonlightGraham 12-16-2011 01:36 PM

Are the refrigirated rinks the Canadiens built open? There's one in Parc François-Perreault in Montreal Nord and another one in Verdun I think... They don't need below freezing temperature since they're refrigirated. Last year I played at the one in Parc François-Perreault during the holidays, it was like +7C and the ice was perfect, almost as good as arena ice. I had to stop because it started to rain.

CuteHockeyBunny 12-16-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner (Post 41041161)
Are the refrigirated rinks the Canadiens built open? There's one in Parc François-Perreault in Montreal Nord and another one in Verdun I think... They don't need below freezing temperature since they're refrigirated. Last year I played at the one in Parc François-Perreault during the holidays, it was like +7C and the ice was perfect, almost as good as arena ice. I had to stop because it started to rain.

There's also one under construction in Lasalle but as usual, the borough rarely keeps the citizens informed on any matter in the community.

Ayatollah Chowmeini 12-16-2011 02:01 PM

My favorite was always in Parc Jeanne-Mance, across from the mountain.

Megaforce 12-16-2011 02:29 PM

The City of Montreal rarely opens rinks before around the first week of January. I seem to recall the one near my house being open around Dec. 20 though but that was an exception. They need snow before they get the cold weather.

Best bet would be one of those refrigerated oudoor rinks. I've never been but I tried to go to the one in Verdun once but it had apparently not quite opened yet.

I live about 30 years from the rink at Oxford Park in NDG and it's a great rink, usually not too crowded.

GoodKiwi 12-16-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaforce (Post 41043311)
I live about 30 years from the rink at Oxford Park in NDG and it's a great rink, usually not too crowded.

That's the one I go to also.

Clipitar 12-16-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini (Post 41042251)
My favorite was always in Parc Jeanne-Mance, across from the mountain.

That's where I'll be all winterlong!

Parc Laurier is decent as well, with 3 different rinks with different levels of play.

Aspirine 12-16-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipitar (Post 41043455)
That's where I'll be all winterlong!

Parc Laurier is decent as well, with 3 different rinks with different levels of play.

This is the one I'm waiting for. Close to my home and right besides the dog park (that way GF takes care of the dogs while I go shoot pucks :laugh:).
It's been 3 years since I last skated, I'm not gonna go to these awesome ones you guys are talking about to be the laughingstock. :laugh:

3hirty6ix 12-16-2011 03:31 PM

It rained yesterday. Long way til they'll even start flooding the rinks :(

Clipitar 12-16-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspirine (Post 41044903)
This is the one I'm waiting for. Close to my home and right besides the dog park (that way GF takes care of the dogs while I go shoot pucks :laugh:).
It's been 3 years since I last skated, I'm not gonna go to these awesome ones you guys are talking about to be the laughingstock. :laugh:

You'll want to aim for the smallest of the three rinks where the level of play is fairly easier.

Megaforce 12-16-2011 03:39 PM

I confess to being prejudiced against NHL players from warm places like BC because it means that they never got to play the real hockey as kids where you feel the wintry windy on your nose and under your scarf and the flicker of snowflakes on your brow.

Guys like Don Saleski used to say that they grew up playing in such cold weather that the puck would crack in two if it hit the goalpost... Larry Robinson who says he'd spend 9 hours a day on the weekend out on the outdoor rink.

There's an element of enchantment and goodwill on an outdoor rink that you don't find in the hockey sausage factory of constant adult-supervised practices. :handclap:

Booba 12-16-2011 05:11 PM

To make outdoor ice rinks, you need at least a foot of snow and constant cold weather (around -10 for at least a week).

So I don't think those rinks will open until at least the first week of january.

I'm actually an outside rink monitor "Safety and Security" for the city of TMR. I'm loosing money right now :cry:

ymenard 12-16-2011 08:44 PM

http://patinermontreal.ca/ dans pas long. Bookmark the site.

Sir Jacques Demers 12-18-2011 12:50 PM

google for

"condition des sites hivernaux"

Contains a list of PDF files, some are updated daily.

Unfortunately it doesn't contain all the boroughs in Montreal, but its a start.

Grasshopperking 12-18-2011 02:06 PM

There's a nice one near the old Olympic stadium down the green line. It's been a while but that was a very large and pretty one

habsrule4eva3089 12-20-2011 01:38 PM

According to this website:
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/p..._schema=PORTAL
The refrigerated rink in St. Michel is open, can anyone confirm?! :) Is this the same rink previous users were talking about near St. Michel metro? The rink the Canadiens foundation built.

AreYouHockey 12-20-2011 01:44 PM

I'll take a chance.

Any open rinks in Quebec?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.