HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Antero Niittymaki (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=105721)

User571 09-25-2004 08:45 PM

Antero Niittymaki

How good do you think he'll be? Ive always thought of him as the Flyers future, but now with the emergence of Esche as a top goalie, I'm not so sure.

Brad* 09-25-2004 10:36 PM

I think he could be a pretty good number one. Not a Hof'er but a good number one.

Pontifex Maximus* 09-25-2004 11:03 PM

At least a number one. Too early to tell what he'll do from there. But so far in the AHL he's been great.

Flyman 09-27-2004 05:50 AM

How many time people are gonna ask the same question??

Sorry Nurminen but this question has already been posted several times. plz check out the answers ;)

renberg 09-27-2004 01:17 PM

In three years, I believe that Nittymaki will be the main man for the Flyers. He is the type of goalie that can steal a series for them; Esche is not. Esche is good but that extra something special just doesn't seem to be there like with Parent, Lindberg or even Hextall. When those three guys were on their game, the opponent neversood a chance and they knew it. Nittymaki looked like he might have that flash in him when he played in the NHL last season.

flyersrock1 09-27-2004 02:34 PM

Those are some hard skates too fill.

FlyersProspect2 09-27-2004 03:33 PM

In a few years will know for sure. I still think Esche will be the man and Nitty will be backing up.

easton122 09-27-2004 03:56 PM

I think if Nitty's development goes well and he gets some decent time we could easily have a goalie controversy as early as the 05-06 season.

FlyHigh 09-27-2004 04:00 PM

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, Niitty did really well in his three games, but Esche has proven that he deserves the No.1 spot and he has been turning in stellar performances for a while right now, I'm excited to see what Esche can do when he plays 55-60 games.

FearTheFlyers 09-27-2004 04:07 PM

I think he's vastly overrated on this board.

Edit: I say this, though I know Easton122 will rip me for it :) .

flyersrock1 09-27-2004 04:13 PM

He is getting set up real high seeing he has won nothing. A good year does not make a great goalie. Steve Penny anyone.

easton122 09-27-2004 04:24 PM

I've seen Niittymaki have some huge nights down on the Phantoms and come up with some game breaking saves. He can shut down the opposition unlike Esche IMO and im a huge Esche fan. He's a great goalie and a good #1 but I see more poential in Niittymaki compared to Esche. What im trying to say is if Niittymaki gets 20 or so games (or did get) during the season the next season he might be able to start challenging Esche. Since I doubt he sees many games this season (if theres a season) I think he'll see anywhere from 20-30 games in 05-06 and start to rival Esche in the 06-07 season.

User571 09-27-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersrock1
He is getting set up real high seeing he has won nothing. A good year does not make a great goalie. Steve Penny anyone.

I believed he he saw quite a bit of time in TPS's run to the SM_liiga finlas.

GKJ 09-27-2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I think he's vastly overrated on this board.

Edit: I say this, though I know Easton122 will rip me for it :) .

He is a winner. He won 3 NHL games. He wins with the Phantoms (no championship, but he's a winner). He has won championships in Finland. Antero Niittymaki may not know how to truly win in the NHL yet, but he does know how to win.

flyercide 09-28-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurminen31
How good do you think he'll be? Ive always thought of him as the Flyers future, but now with the emergence of Esche as a top goalie, I'm not so sure.

i think he has the potential to be a good backup/starter in the nhl. it's good to have some pressure on your starters. im looking forward to seeing him get a chance. plus our goalies havent proven to be to durable the last 5 or so yrs.

ill be disappointed if he's not esche's backup this yr especially if not next. im sure if niity struggles or if doesn't prove to be nhl backup/starter clarkie will deal him off like the rest though.

Winston Wolf 09-28-2004 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
He is a winner. He won 3 NHL games.

So, I'm guessing Turek, Kidd, Cloutier, Boucher, etc. are all considered winners in your book as well? :huh:

adurn 09-28-2004 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy
So, I'm guessing Turek, Kidd, Cloutier, Boucher, etc. are all considered winners in your book as well? :huh:

EXCELLENT job on taking things out of context. Jesus. Read the whole post next time.

Winston Wolf 09-28-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adurn
EXCELLENT job on taking things out of context. Jesus. Read the whole post next time.

I read the whole post and was mostly just being a smart ass (probably didn't use the right emoticon.) I like Niittymaki, but I want to see him in more than 3 NHL games before I call him a winner. We haven't really seen Niittymaki in any high pressure games (besides the AHL, but a AHL and NHL playoff game are night and day), so I don't see how you can really call him a winner or not. There are several NHL goaltenders who play great in meaningless games, but don't do squat when it's on the line. I'm definitely not saying Niittymaki is one of those, however, at this point it's far too early to call him a winner.

Diaboli 09-29-2004 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy
I read the whole post and was mostly just being a smart ass (probably didn't use the right emoticon.) I like Niittymaki, but I want to see him in more than 3 NHL games before I call him a winner. We haven't really seen Niittymaki in any high pressure games (besides the AHL, but a AHL and NHL playoff game are night and day), so I don't see how you can really call him a winner or not. There are several NHL goaltenders who play great in meaningless games, but don't do squat when it's on the line. I'm definitely not saying Niittymaki is one of those, however, at this point it's far too early to call him a winner.

Meaningless games... Right... He has won 3 Finnish championships. 2 of them as a starter. Regular season 80 GP, 2.17 GAA and 50-21-5 record. Playoffs, 12 GP, 1.92 GAA and a 8-4 record. I'd like to remind you, that the Finnish title could be won back then with 9 games. Meaningless games... :p: