HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: A new proposal: avoid habsinsideout/lazy sports journalists (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1057857)

WhiskeySeven* 12-18-2011 03:17 AM

A new proposal: avoid habsinsideout/lazy sports journalists

All season Hickey, Stubbs, Boone and JACK TODD have been peddeling their terrible hockey knowledge and flip-floppy opinions. One day they blame the team, the next it's the coaching and the next they blame luck and parity. Enough's enough.

They're obviously only in it for themselves but many people use their website and they (in)educate many opinions.

Look at tonight's post-game wrap up by Mike "waffle" Boone. Keep in mind that the coach of 200+ games has been removed from this team for less than 10 hours, the team has been in disarray all season and they're coming off a very distracting day.

Quote:

What do you think Randy Cunneyworth will do during his summer vacation?
a) Bring the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Etobicoke
b) Learn to speak French
c) Look for a job
It comes down to probability: If a), then b).

But my money is on c)
So stupid it hurts. Boone then goes on to say that him and Hickey don't think coaching was the problem and that Scotty Bowman/Toe Blake/Dick Irvin wouldn't be able to do anything with this roster. A roster with former Stanley Cup winners, 35+ goal scorers, one of the better two-way forwards in the game, an all-star top5 goalie and two or three energetic budding youngsters in Subban, Patches and DD.

I'm not a fan of this roster, and I'm not a Gauthier apologist. My point is simply that talent does not disappear and this team has enough talent; though this appears invisible to lazy journalists who need a low-hanging fruit to target for low-brow fans. As a sidenote, how come the Pens have been able to survive and be a threat for so long? Good coaching and good chemistry. Jacques Martin is fired because one of the most patient men in hockey, Pierre Gauthier, thought he wasn't holding the room properly or holding them together - this spiral is mostly due to tactics and motivation and will take a little bit of time to cure; we have the talent.

Boone goes on to embarrass himself by suggesting Carbo had more talent to work with. A team with Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois and Ryan O'Byrne in its bottom4 rotation, who in Carbo's last year had a top scorer at 65 points.

He makes another suggesting that the Habs' bottom six forwards would not be playing on the Flyers, Rags or Bruins. As if Nokia, Eller, Leblanc or Darche (yes.. ) aren't superior to any of Hagelin, Christensen, Paille, Pouliot, Zac Rinaldo, Zolniercyk and Shelly. Don't bother breaking this down, my point is that this team's bottom six was built in the image that Jacques wanted and it has just as much talent as can be on any top team's bottom six. Don't forget that an entire line of Gomez-Gionta-Moen is out with injury.

Then there's a piece on how it's vital for a coach to speak French. I don't care either way, I get the points on either side of the argument but the fact is Boone & Co. have turned on Cunneyworth before he even started. Look at Jack Todd to blast Gauthier in his next piece too.

These lying, boring dinosaurs shouldn't be painting the picture, the average regular HFboarder (the mods, some of the more prominent posters... even Lafleurs Guy) are much better educated than them. Let's not give them any credit, they're doing a terrible job.

Marchy79 12-18-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 41134729)
All season Hickey, Stubbs, Boone and JACK TODD have been peddeling their terrible hockey knowledge and flip-floppy opinions. One day they blame the team, the next it's the coaching and the next they blame luck and parity. Enough's enough.

They're obviously only in it for themselves but many people use their website and they (in)educate many opinions.

Look at tonight's post-game wrap up by Mike "waffle" Boone. Keep in mind that the coach of 200+ games has been removed from this team for less than 10 hours, the team has been in disarray all season and they're coming off a very distracting day.

So stupid it hurts. Boone then goes on to say that him and Hickey don't think coaching was the problem and that Scotty Bowman/Toe Blake/Dick Irvin wouldn't be able to do anything with this roster. A roster with former Stanley Cup winners, 35+ goal scorers, one of the better two-way forwards in the game, an all-star top5 goalie and two or three energetic budding youngsters in Subban, Patches and DD.

I'm not a fan of this roster, and I'm not a Gauthier apologist. My point is simply that talent does not disappear and this team has enough talent; though this appears invisible to lazy journalists who need a low-hanging fruit to target for low-brow fans. As a sidenote, how come the Pens have been able to survive and be a threat for so long? Good coaching and good chemistry. Jacques Martin is fired because one of the most patient men in hockey, Pierre Gauthier, thought he wasn't holding the room properly or holding them together - this spiral is mostly due to tactics and motivation and will take a little bit of time to cure; we have the talent.

Boone goes on to embarrass himself by suggesting Carbo had more talent to work with. A team with Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois and Ryan O'Byrne in its bottom4 rotation, who in Carbo's last year had a top scorer at 65 points.

He makes another suggesting that the Habs' bottom six forwards would not be playing on the Flyers, Rags or Bruins. As if Nokia, Eller, Leblanc or Darche (yes.. ) aren't superior to any of Hagelin, Christensen, Paille, Pouliot, Zac Rinaldo, Zolniercyk and Shelly. Don't bother breaking this down, my point is that this team's bottom six was built in the image that Jacques wanted and it has just as much talent as can be on any top team's bottom six. Don't forget that an entire line of Gomez-Gionta-Moen is out with injury.

Then there's a piece on how it's vital for a coach to speak French. I don't care either way, I get the points on either side of the argument but the fact is Boone & Co. have turned on Cunneyworth before he even started. Look at Jack Todd to blast Gauthier in his next piece too.

These lying, boring dinosaurs shouldn't be painting the picture, the average regular HFboarder (the mods, some of the more prominent posters... even Lafleurs Guy) are much better educated than them. Let's not give them any credit, they're doing a terrible job.

I am really surprised anyone came up with the part I bolded lol

The current habs are more talented than the 08 version, which fell apart due to 1 key injury... Not 1/2 a dozen.

The only part of the 08 team id definately take over this one is Pleky/Koivu over Pleky/Gomez. I think history bit us in the ass on that one... As I think management was looking at the fact that Koivu was about to become the longest serving captain in Canadiens history all the while he has not gotten the habs close to a cup. I am only speculating as to why Koivu went... It still doesnt make any sense to me why management dumed Koivu though, to be brutally honest.

Couldn't care less about Pat Hickey's opinion though... He's just a BAD writer in a hockey mad town.

Another fine example was his fluff piece this past week, talking about how 'secretive' the team is, and how he feels it's unnecessary. Montreal's media, and the habs have had it's hard times relating to eachother though... So the habs seperated the problem from the situation (Too much reporting).
If you play in Nashville, the reporters dont care about little else than the performance on the ice.
If you play in Montreal however, the reporters want to know which direction the sliver is pointing out on the benched player... Then there are articles going every which way from there.

Gainey, Gauthier and co. FEEL it's important to keep that info close to their vest... Let them. I'm not a fan of it... but it wont change because I dont like it... and who knows it may actually have worked for them from time to time.

Cunneyworth is an interim coach. What was anyone expecting when a game had to be played 1/2 a day after it was announced that Martin was fired.

I dont think he solves the problem, But I also think it's so entirely old school to say that the coach MUST essentially be bi-lingual. In todays NHL, I'd just be happy with a competent coach. If the habs have to hire an interpreter, then do so.

Nothing silences the critics MORE than winning though.
It's easy to jump on Cunneyworth after the 5-3 loss to NJ though... A little short sighted, but easy nonetheless.
I think they would have been better off talking about Martin's regime. Pro's and Cons... Cunneyworth cant be judged as of yet. They COULD be right, but they gotta give him the chance before completely dismissing him.