HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Our dismantled defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1058115)

Callagraves 12-18-2011 02:32 PM

Our dismantled defense

So here we are. Of our preferred starters under rangers contract, 3 are playing. Stralman, who was supposed to be our 8th is effectively our 4th. Erixon may be being rushed into an important role.

The good

Tim Erixon may show up, impress, and pull a McD

Staal's recovery is moving along smoothly.

Stralman has had a good two games. Perhaps we found a gem in the rough?

Del Zotto acting like a top 4 defensemen.

The bad

Oh dear god everything else.

Any ideas?

MAYO 12-18-2011 02:33 PM

Insert Avery on the blue line!.....lol

Brendan Shanahan 12-18-2011 02:35 PM

Try and get Gleason from a struggling Canes team. Shouldn't cost much at this point.

Vitto79 12-18-2011 02:39 PM

just bring up Erixon and see how much he has developed...........I am sure they will try for a rental but not sure if one will be available early in the yr..........they do have some extra Forwards

I am sure Sather has the mass email of EC for X Dman on ur roster

IBleedNYRBlue 12-18-2011 02:46 PM

We still have Henrik Lundqvist in net.

I'm not to worried, yet.

MAYO 12-18-2011 02:47 PM

You know what makes this new lost on the D even harder to deal with is both puck possession and goals for. What I mean by this is if we were a more aggressive scoring team this issue may not be as crucial!

bernmeister 12-18-2011 03:00 PM

W/Eminger + separated shoulder, we should give Vtank a look, and then either whatever of get off the pot as regards to him.

At one time this was a solid prospect for us, a McDonnagh lite half of the Ds the Habs coughed up in the Gomez trade.

I say whatever chances he did/did not have to date, find out, and keep/move etc. accordingly.

bernmeister 12-18-2011 03:02 PM

Don't think this applies now but Pashnin is an interesting prospect. Unfortunately, we can't see if he's worth our $$ at the moment, but if he could get here somehow without complications or big expense, I'd like to see what stopgap -- or perhaps a little more he might provide.

bernmeister 12-18-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callagraves (Post 41147901)
So here we are. Of our preferred starters under rangers contract, 3 are playing. Stralman, who was supposed to be our 8th is effectively our 4th. Erixon may be being rushed into an important role.

The good

Tim Erixon may show up, impress, and pull a McD

Staal's recovery is moving along smoothly.

Stralman has had a good two games. Perhaps we found a gem in the rough?

Del Zotto acting like a top 4 defensemen.

The bad

Oh dear god everything else.

Any ideas?

Let the Ivan Baranka era begin;);):laugh::laugh::laugh:

If only Tysen Dowzak could skate!

Machinehead 12-18-2011 03:11 PM

I'm not in a rush to make a move tbh. We go out and get a guy and then do what with him when we're healthy?

EpicDing 12-18-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 41149593)
I'm not in a rush to make a move tbh. We go out and get a guy and then do what with him when we're healthy?

If we did get one, they'd probably be an upgrade over Woywitka/Eminger/Stralman.

Machinehead 12-18-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicDing (Post 41149757)
If we did get one, they'd probably be an upgrade over Woywitka/Eminger/Stralman.

Woywitka and Stralman yeah. I don't think there's a whole lot of #6 guys better than Eminger, and that's pretty much what we'd be getting at this point, a veteran #6. Gleason and Erixon have been mentioned. I'll take Eminger over both for this season. Healthy we look like this.

Staal-Griardi
McDonagh-Del Zotto
Sauer-Eminger

That's retardedly good and not really in need of another piece.

wr50l 12-18-2011 04:19 PM

I expect the whole team to buckle down, be super-responsible with their defensive play and work hard not to give up any scoring chances. We'll find a way to get through this very difficult spell because this Rangers team is full of workmen.

We're going to have to win some 1-0, 2-1 not very exciting games for a while.

Callagraves 12-18-2011 04:31 PM

UPDATE: Stu Bickel recalled

are you ****ing kidding me...

Machinehead 12-18-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callagraves (Post 41152917)
UPDATE: Stu Bickel recalled

are you ****ing kidding me...

Relax he's just a 7th in case another one drops.

bleeding blue 24 12-18-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 41153171)

nope, he's #6

Girardi-McD
DZ-Stralman
Woywitka-Bickel

Staal, Sauer, Eminger out...

Vitto79 12-18-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 41153171)

saw a tweet about a blackout period on recalling someone from the minors so can Erixon comeup tommorow officially?

Brooklyn Ranger 12-18-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 41155183)
saw a tweet about a blackout period on recalling someone from the minors so can Erixon comeup tommorow officially?

Teams are allowed to call up players in an emergency--if Woywitka can't play another player can be called up.

Machinehead 12-18-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue 24 (Post 41154817)
nope, he's #6

Girardi-McD
DZ-Stralman
Woywitka-Bickel

Erixon....

Brooklyn Ranger 12-18-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 41156685)
Erixon....

Erixon is back in Hartford--he was returned to the AHL roster after the game in St Louis. Bickel is playing.

IBleedNYRBlue 12-18-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue 24 (Post 41154817)
nope, he's #6

Girardi-McD
DZ-Stralman
Woywitka-Bickel

Hopefully Erixon is in for Bickel, but if not, hopefully this pairing gets no more than 10 minutes of ice time. This pairing will be a disaster.

JimmyStart* 12-18-2011 08:55 PM

LOL who'd have thought this to be our lineup ever at any point this year? That Staal concussion came outta nowhere and Sauer unfortunately has gone back to injury prone. Mix in an injury to Emiinger and you really have to throw a gag inducing lineup out there. Only thing is MDZ isn't bad MDZ. Imagine if he still was? WOywitka has been serviceable too. I do feel like Woy and Emmy deserve major props for overachieving/not being crap.

ruckus* 12-18-2011 09:14 PM

My confidence in this team surviving short term is fine, especially considering our strong start to the season. The problem in my opinion is that other than Eminger I don't think this is a short term problem. I'm still super skeptical on when Staal will return, and if he does (as we've witnessed with others) all it takes is one awkward hit or play and that's it for the season. As far as I'm concerned with Sauer, you need to act like this is Marc Staal back in September. So honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see Sauer the rest of the year. It sucks but with the way this whole concussion thing is going around the league I think people who have optimistic views on returns are being naive. That means there's a good chance that we'll be playing the majority of the season without two of our top four defenseman.

Now when we get to Eminger we realize hopefully just how solid he has been since we acquired him. If anyone wants a good laugh they should find the thread when we got him from Anaheim. You would have thought we traded for a girl in fourth grade. Eminger has performed more than admirably in his role and he will be missed. We can only hope that the recent trend of defenseman we have inserted into the lineup continues.

Stralman I have been openly critical of, and I still don't think he has been a good defenseman. What has been good is he hasn't been exposed and has been given opportunities to play to his offensive strengths. With increased ice time we might not be so lucky but his recent performances at least give us hope that he might be able to do what Eminger has done for us since we got him.

Now we need Bickel or whomever to continue the trend.

This is ugly. No way around it. And heartbreaking because this team has so much potential. But we need to find a way to survive and pray that Staal comes back. At least if that happens we can go:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-X
Del Zotto-X

That would be huge.