HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   You are the coach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1058331)

Fred Glover 12-18-2011 07:28 PM

You are the coach

Short of quitting, what would you do differently if you were coaching this sad sack of a team? For one, I would bench Vermette. I would also play Carter and Nash more on the PK. Give them more minutes. So what if they play more minutes, what are you trying to do, save them for the playoffs? What are some of the moves you would make with this current team? Be advised, you are the coach, not the GM so you can't make trades, you can change lines, d pairings, etc. I would be interested in your thoughts

36kap36 12-18-2011 07:31 PM

5 hour practices daily. Not that we would win ever, but at least we wouldn't play our way out of that 1st overall pick :sarcasm:

MapleJ 12-18-2011 07:50 PM

johansen gets first line minutes

atkinson comes up for the whole season

gojackets1 12-18-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleJ (Post 41161093)
johansen gets first line minutes

atkinson comes up for the whole season

Really? Because (even though it more up to the gm) I would send Johan back down, Moore back down, and keep Atkinson as far away from this ****hole as possible.

36kap36 12-18-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojackets1 (Post 41161325)
Really? Because (even though it more up to the gm) I would send Johan back down, Moore back down, and keep Atkinson as far away from this ****hole as possible.

Johansen can't go much of anywhere right now.

gojackets1 12-18-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36kap36 (Post 41161699)
Johansen can't go much of anywhere right now.

Wjc and Juniors?

CBJBrassard16 12-18-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojackets1 (Post 41161771)
Wjc and Juniors?

Too late for WJC's

gojackets1 12-18-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 41163589)
Too late for WJC's

Damn... Well then just back to Portland, I suppose!

Nanabijou 12-18-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojackets1 (Post 41163621)
Damn... Well then just back to Portland, I suppose!

Too late for this too, in my opinion. There's no regulation, but I think they've passed the point where it would be a smooth transition back to Portland - from either Portland's or RyJo's perspective. The WHL is not the AHL where you have team-mates bumping up and down throughout the season.

gojackets1 12-18-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanabijou (Post 41163905)
Too late for this too, in my opinion. There's no regulation, but I think they've passed the point where it would be a smooth transition back to Portland - from either Portland's or RyJo's perspective. The WHL is not the AHL where you have team-mates bumping up and down throughout the season.

Hmm, well, in my opinion at least, he shouldnt be here while this losing is going on. As others have said before, we dont want him to have the mentality that losing is okay, especially since everyone else in the organization has this mentality. Its just a damn shame.

Nanabijou 12-18-2011 08:56 PM

I don't disagree - I was in favor of him going back before he played his 10 games, but what's done is done.

Moo 12-18-2011 09:00 PM

One thing I'd do: Strip everybody of Cs and As. Nobody wears them on a permanent basis until they emerge and prove they can wear it.

Not sure on the NHL rule so while you're allowed to not have a C, if indeed As MUST be named, I'd do it on a random basis per game. Draw names out of a hat and you don't get it again until everyone has had it at least once. Even if a guy is called up out of the AHL, he can wear an A.

Could it tick off some people? Sure. But the ones who get ticked off may be the ones who need a fire lit underneath them. Make everyone earn the letters back.

leesmith 12-18-2011 09:01 PM

If I'm the coach, the first thing I do is call my real estate agent.

Regarding C's and A's, like the sign says "EARN IT!" Prospal gets the C, Dorsett, Boll and MacKenzie get the As.

1857 Howitzer 12-18-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moo (Post 41164399)
One thing I'd do: Strip everybody of Cs and As. Nobody wears them on a permanent basis until they emerge and prove they can wear it.

Not sure on the NHL rule so while you're allowed to not have a C, if indeed As MUST be named, I'd do it on a random basis per game. Draw names out of a hat and you don't get it again until everyone has had it at least once. Even if a guy is called up out of the AHL, he can wear an A.

Could it tick off some people? Sure. But the ones who get ticked off may be the ones who need a fire lit underneath them. Make everyone earn the letters back.

You can go with 3 A's in place of 2 A's and a C.

leesmith 12-18-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 41164645)

Well then, it's Prospal, Dorsett and MacKenzie.

FormerRedwingFan 12-18-2011 09:43 PM

Its a good question but I don't think the coach can do much. This organization is a loosing culture from top to bottom. Some of the worst prospect development and team building since the lockout. I think the question what would you do as Owner needs to be asked first, then as President, then as GM, than as Coach, then as captain.

As an owner I would completely review the head management I have in charge. What has been their performance as far as bringing in, developing and keeping high end talent. As president I would get a whole new GM and scouting staff immediately. I would not even keep a secretary that dictated e-mails from that regime. I would also completely revamp the development program and try to bring in some proven resources to make a good development camp.

I think you give the GM free reign to gut the team but I would bring in a GM that builds through the draft. Not like Burke where you try to make the playoffs as soon as possible and end up without the depth needed to go deep.

This team needs a complete restart, at this point I don't think the players and coach are to blame, I think you need to go higher up. I think the management failure can be shown in how many 1st round picks are no longer on the team. You have to try to draft that badly, so its more likely development.

IBleedUnionBlue 12-18-2011 10:02 PM

I would pull a Boucher and accept an offer from another team.

CBJBrassard16 12-18-2011 10:49 PM

What I do is call in every player for a 1on1 meeting, and ask them why they deserve to be in the lineup. If they convince me to let them be in, then I run them through hell in practice. Bag skate, bag skate, bag skate. For the players that are not playing they watch practice and report back to me after practice and explain what they will do differently when they get back on the ice. During the morning skate I let everyone skate, but before the skate I bring in both goalies and run through what the opposing team likes to do, then I evaluate who I think will be able to stop their strategies the best, start that guy and run that system throughout the year.

You want to play for me? Earn it, I don't care if you are Siidney Crosby, give me effort of you can watch.

Moo 12-18-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 41164645)

Yeah, but do you HAVE to have people in As each game? I am not sure on that rule. I think you do, but again, not sure.

mt-svk 12-18-2011 11:10 PM

I would unjoin Carter with Nash and changed the lines. I would put Johansen to his post. Call Atkinson and Mayorov. Give more chances for our young players. Trade Brassard and some players for draft picks and begin to build a new team.

Mayorov--Carter--Atkinson
Prospal--Johansen--Nash
Vermette--Pahlsson--Dorsett
MacKenzie--Pahlsson--Boll

Tyutin, Nikitin
Methot, Wisniewski
Moore, xxx

Sanford

FunKingJackets 12-19-2011 12:16 AM

First I'd hand the actual coaching to a hockey professional. Then I'd give them a rousing, "You Gotta Give a Damn" speech. Then...

1. Two locker rooms. The first is the one they use now. The second is an old storage room with a few beat up folding chairs and one bare 60 watt bulb. Everyone starts in the storage room. You play your way out with effort and heart.
2. Grueling video sessions reviewing missed plays and lack of effort.
3. If a player gives up on the team I'd have the promotions people put them in a Boomer suit and send them out to do charity visits at the worst places they can think of.

OK, so maybe I'm bitter.

Matt Foley 12-19-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanabijou (Post 41164215)
I don't disagree - I was in favor of him going back before he played his 10 games, but what's done is done.

Same here.

BluejacketNut 12-19-2011 07:02 AM

The first thing I do is make them pass in practice till they puke....a different type of Herbies. This team has always been a terrible passing team, I had hoped Arniel was going to fix that, but apparently not. Would also do the captain stipping thing, alternate captains based on those who earned it.

squarelaces 12-19-2011 08:18 AM

Wave Wiz. Nobody would take him for full money but we could be rid of him on reentry. Sure, we would be on the hook for half his salary through the life of the contract but at least we would be done with who I consider to be the worst defensive defenseman in the league.

blahblah 12-19-2011 08:36 AM

Square, he said "coach" not "GM". They aren't going to waive Wiz, not this soon into his contract. I wouldn't suggest they do that either. Very poor idea.