HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Top 5 players from the 80's (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=105859)

rabi_sultan 09-27-2004 11:51 AM

Top 5 players from the 80's
 
who are your top 5 players from the 80's in terms of talent that they displayed THEN. (minus Gretzky and Lemieux) ?

Jason MacIsaac 09-27-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
who are your top 5 players from the 80's in terms of talent that they displayed THEN. (minus Gretzky and Lemieux) ?

Stastny has to be up there.

glimradnor 09-27-2004 12:07 PM

In no particular order:

Messier
Bourque
Langway
Stastny
Kurri

#66 09-27-2004 12:16 PM

1. Bossy 2. Stastney 3. Kurri 4. Hawerchuk 5. Coffey

plaugher 09-27-2004 12:19 PM

Kurri
Stastny
Bourque
Bossy
Hawerchuk

Though I've no doubt forgotten some obvious candidates, these are the five off the top of my head.

EDIT: Spares: Yzerman, Coffey, Savard

Big Phil 09-27-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66
1. Bossy 2. Stastney 3. Kurri 4. Hawerchuk 5. Coffey

That's almost as perfect as you can get it. One guy everyone forgets is Denis Savard. Maybe not in the top 5 but as far as talent goes he did that spinorama time after time after time.

hunter1909* 09-27-2004 04:25 PM

gretzky...

messier...

coffey...

kurri...

anderson...

sorry about using gretzky but i didnt want to break up the set :p

Jacques Plante 09-27-2004 04:30 PM

Bossy
Bourque
Kurri
Coffey
Mike Gartner :eek:

#66 09-27-2004 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil
That's almost as perfect as you can get it. One guy everyone forgets is Denis Savard. Maybe not in the top 5 but as far as talent goes he did that spinorama time after time after time.

Yeah, Savard was pretty awsome. He scored so many awsome goals but the one that stands out to me was when he danced around all 5 Oilers and beat the goalie. IMO that is the greatest goal ever scored. (Importance not counting.)

Hab-a-maniac 09-27-2004 06:53 PM

1. Bossy
2. Stastny
3. Coffey
4. Messier-His playoff play and stats as a 2nd line centre were more impressive than some team's 1st line centres
5. D. Savard
Close, but not quite: Hawerchuk, Bourque, Goulet, Dionne (70s was more his time), Kurri, Yzerman (had more of an impact come the 90s).

VanIslander 09-27-2004 07:13 PM

Dino Ciccarelli
Dale Hawerchuk
Peter Stastny
Jari Kurri
Paul Coffey

jiggs 10 09-30-2004 03:11 PM

Bossy
Hawerchuk
Stastny
Savard
Yzerman
Coffey


Sorry, I had to have 6, because none of these deserve to be left off a list like this.

Atlas 09-30-2004 07:44 PM

If I was building a team from the 80s and I couldn't take Gretzky I'd take

1. Scott Stevens
2. Ray Bourque
3. Mario
4. Pat LaFontaine
5. Messier

kmad 09-30-2004 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Plante
Mike Gartner

please tell me you're joking :cry:


1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Ray Bourque
3. Mark Messier
4. Paul Coffey
5. Mike Bossy

I chose players based on their dominance solely during the decade of the 80s. Gretzky should be everyone's #1. If he isn't, then your list is not credible. There were no real dominant goalies in the 80s who didn't die in a car crash. Hull, Lemieux and Yzerman came in partway through the decade. Bossy, Potvin, and Trottier were dominant at the beginning of the 80s but not throughout. Stastny accumulated a lot of points, but so did Gartner. I wouldn't call either of them as dominant as Messier or Bossy.

Potvin, Trottier, Stastny, Lemieux, Yzerman, Kurri, Fuhr, Savard were on the cusp.

#66 09-30-2004 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmad
please tell me you're joking :cry:


1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Ray Bourque
3. Mark Messier
4. Paul Coffey
5. Mike Bossy

I chose players based on their dominance solely during the decade of the 80s. Gretzky should be everyone's #1. If he isn't, then your list is not credible. There were no real dominant goalies in the 80s who didn't die in a car crash. Hull, Lemieux and Yzerman came in partway through the decade. Bossy, Potvin, and Trottier were dominant at the beginning of the 80s but not throughout. Stastny accumulated a lot of points, but so did Gartner. I wouldn't call either of them as dominant as Messier or Bossy.

Potvin, Trottier, Stastny, Lemieux, Yzerman, Kurri, Fuhr, Savard were on the cusp.

The first post says that you can't use Gretzky or Lemieux. My goalies alone would be 1. Fuhr 2. Smith 3. Roy 4. Vernon 5. Hextall

mazmin 09-30-2004 10:34 PM

D. Hawerchuk (never had a line mate)
M. Dionne (Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmers were his best line mates)
P. Stastny (he had his brothers, also Goulet, but he had all the skills)
D. Savard (He WAS the Hawks)
R. Bourque (also great in the 90's and 00's... simply Bourque)

But then there's...

S. Yzerman (he was better overall in the 90's)
M. Messier (also arguably better in the early 90's, also had no Gretzky)
J. Kurri (Played on a line with Wayne)
P. Coffey (On PP with Wayne alone added 30 pts a year to stats)
M. Bossy (He should probably be above, but he DID have Trottier who could easily be on this list)

Porn* 09-30-2004 10:35 PM

No FUHR??? He's one of my favs...

Keetz 10-01-2004 05:18 PM

Dino, Dino, Dino!!!!!!!!!!1 :yo:

Hemskyfanboy83 10-01-2004 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazmin
D. Hawerchuk (never had a line mate)
M. Dionne (Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmers were his best line mates)
P. Stastny (he had his brothers, also Goulet, but he had all the skills)
D. Savard (He WAS the Hawks)
R. Bourque (also great in the 90's and 00's... simply Bourque)

But then there's...

S. Yzerman (he was better overall in the 90's)
M. Messier (also arguably better in the early 90's, also had no Gretzky)
J. Kurri (Played on a line with Wayne)
P. Coffey (On PP with Wayne alone added 30 pts a year to stats)
M. Bossy (He should probably be above, but he DID have Trottier who could easily be on this list)

so that still leaves about 110 point seasons he has to be there

hotgoalie11565 10-02-2004 08:31 AM

Here's my $.02.

G- Fuhr

D- Bourque
Langway

F- Kurri
Savard (going by the original premise of leaving Gretzky and Lemieux out)
Stastny

ChrisKreider20 10-02-2004 08:50 AM

Bossy
Messier
Bourque
D. Potvin
Steve Yzerman

Nifty=HHOF 10-02-2004 10:39 AM

Great Question
 
Bourque :bruins
Messier :edmonton
Bossy :isles
Savard :hawks
Hawerchuk

KOVALEV10* 10-20-2004 11:30 PM

Bossy
Kurry
Stasny
Patrick Roy
Bob Gainey

GentlemanOfLeisure 11-09-2004 08:04 AM

Dale Hunter should be somewhere in the top 10, maybe cracking the top 5.

Jets4Life 11-09-2004 09:04 AM

1. Gretzky (is there any doubt?)
2. Bossy (only player to score 50+ goals every year of his career)
3. Lemieux (broke Gretzky's streak of Hart trophies)
4. Savard (amazing to watch)
5. Messier (overshadowed by Gretzky for most of decade)

Most overrated:

Kurri (Gretzky carried this guy throughout his career)

Underrated:

Hawerchuk (great player on a bad Jets team)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.