HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Badly Bruised Upper Knee - Do I Need New Shin Pads? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1059015)

Devil Dancer 12-19-2011 04:33 PM

Badly Bruised Upper Knee - Do I Need New Shin Pads?

Somehow two nights ago I managed to fall and hit the upper portion of my knee on the ice. While it happened very quickly, and I don't know exactly what happened, apparently my shin guard did not protect my knee.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out if my shin pads fit properly. I'm short, so I use a small size (13" I think). I don't tape them, so they rest on my skates most of the time, especially since the elastic on the bands has worn out.

Is there a recommendation for shin pad size out there somewhere? I'm only 5'7.

I thought my pads fit fine until Saturday night...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ozz 12-19-2011 07:09 PM

You can check out this sizing guide for various brands. Just taking a quick look you might be better off with a 14" set, though depending how exactly you hit the ice (not to mention whether or not they shifted sideways or downward, and why) a larger size alone may not have made a difference.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shinguarsizc.html

AIREAYE 12-19-2011 07:21 PM

You don't tape them and the elastic has stretched out on you? No wonder? They've obviously shifted in-game and your knee became exposed. Best advice is to head to a local shop to get fitted. Good idea to try your shins with a pair of skates as well, while bending down to see if the pad shifts on you. Going to a size too large for you isn't the solution. Instead of your knee sitting perfectly in the cradle as it should, any forward flexing movement will push the pad up so your kneecap will be below the cradle; again not what you want.

If you wear your shins over your tongues, a good starting point is to grab a pair that sits 1 finger width above your ankle bone and 2 finger widths if you wear them under the tongue.

ponder 12-19-2011 07:44 PM

Tape them, no reason not to. Equiptment isn't going to protect you well unless it's properly secured to your body, and with shin guards this means taping them. Also, for more knee protection you can get the pads where the hard shell is suspended away from the padding, but these tend to be a bit more bulky/awkward on the ice.

hyster110 12-20-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Dancer (Post 41194499)
Somehow two nights ago I managed to fall and hit the upper portion of my knee on the ice. While it happened very quickly, and I don't know exactly what happened, apparently my shin guard did not protect my knee.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out if my shin pads fit properly. I'm short, so I use a small size (13" I think). I don't tape them, so they rest on my skates most of the time, especially since the elastic on the bands has worn out.

Is there a recommendation for shin pad size out there somewhere? I'm only 5'7.

I thought my pads fit fine until Saturday night...

Thanks in advance for the help.

easy solution TAPE THEM, problem solved, your pads will be fine when you start doing that. my recommendation, tape under the knee portion on your shin pad and b around your leg twice, works for me and they stay secure the whole game

Gino 14 12-20-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Dancer (Post 41194499)

I'd be willing to bet they work fine when they're in the right position. Try having someone take a video of you when you skate and then you can post it so everyone can evaluate it. That tape idea is over-rated, you should really go out and spend a bunch of money on custom shins............:nod:

Jarick 12-20-2011 09:14 AM

Taping them should keep them from moving around.

You'd be surprised at the fit of knee pads. Bring your skates to the store with you and try some on. I'm 5'8 and always though 14" pads were big, but 13" and even 13.5" pads were WAY too small. Once I had my skates on and made sure there was no gap in my ankle, some 15" pads would work. The best option for me since my calves aren't that big was to use 14" pads and move the liner up or down slightly to cover my ankle while my knee was centered up top. I still have to tape though.