HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mtl media too harsh? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1060253)

gohabs58 12-21-2011 07:28 AM

Mtl media too harsh?

Do you guys think the Mtl media is too harsh on the team? Specifically the French speaking media? It looks to me like they've given up on the team for hiring a coach who doesn't speak French. Is hiring a French coach an absolute requirement?

For those who speak French, here's an interesting article about what the French media and public think of the whole ordeal:

http://lejournaldemontreal.canoe.ca/...21-022916.html

Habs 4 Life 12-21-2011 07:30 AM

0 articles on the Habs today in the 24h. :laugh:

What a joke this city is becoming cause of these dumb medias

Teufelsdreck 12-21-2011 07:45 AM

The tradition that attracted fans all over was the winning, not the French accent. Having a number of Québécois on the roster shouldn't be considered the only contributor to the winning. My all-time favorite Cup win came in 1971 and the two most outstanding players were Ken Dryden and Frank Mahovlich even ahead of Jean Béliveau, Yvan Cournoyer, and Henri Richard.

TheRedKnight 12-21-2011 07:49 AM

Yes and no

In a perfect world the Habs hire the best man available, as long as he can communicate with the players, and win games. But we live in Quebec... I'm surprised that Gauthier being a french Canadian born in Montreal, would put his owner and himself in such a mess. Molson indicated when he bought the team the importance of the french culture surrounding the team. Is it a disrespect towards the french speaking fans NO... Is it a serious lack of foresight ABSOLUTELY !!!

IMHO give Cunningworth a chance, and give Molson til the end of the season to pick a proper replacement for Gauthier. Making a rushed decision now is not going to make this mess go away or make the team better. Molson should take the time to find a suitable GM to rebuild a once glorious franchise.

Poor Cunningworth was thrown into the fire and wasn't even given a translator to help him out during the press conferences. His all reeks of disorganization.

HH 12-21-2011 08:06 AM

Yes.

/thread

shutehinside 12-21-2011 08:08 AM

Is that really a question?
It should be a statement.

Habs10Habs 12-21-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 41281409)
0 articles on the Habs today in the 24h. :laugh:

What a joke this city is becoming cause of these dumb medias

Part of the blame has to go to the people as well (Not all, but a large portion). If not for them, the media would have nothing to feed off of.

HH 12-21-2011 08:13 AM

The excuse Francois Gagnon to hire a French coach is ridiculous.

''Lets hire the French so he gets a chance in the NHL''

Basically saying that the Habs should be a coaches farm team for the rest of the NHL. Absolutely ********.

Habs10Habs 12-21-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryI (Post 41282073)

Basically saying that the Habs should be a coaches farm team for the rest of the NHL. Absolutely ********.

Well that's pretty much what we've been doing. Besides Martin, can anyone tell me when the last time we brought in an NHL experienced coach?

ReVeuF 12-21-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryI (Post 41282073)

They did it already : Julien, Vigneault, Therrien just to name a few who started in MTL and were winning somewhere else

Habs 4 Life 12-21-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaFranks (Post 41282127)
Well that's pretty much what we've been doing. Besides Martin, can anyone tell me when the last time we brought in an NHL experienced coach?

Demers I believe

roy munson 12-21-2011 08:18 AM

Am I the only one who feels (can't find the right word...) "gêné"? That "news" went half the way around the world and all I keep thinking is "Oh no...". I didn't really look around for this, but are the Quebecor medias more aggressive than others? Just curious because I heard (I didn't see it) that yesterday's front page of JdeM wasn't very nice towards Cunneyworth, being more than sarcastic.

I also hate that the medias tell the story like it's everyboby in Montreal/Quebec that are mad about this hiring... So not true. Most (if not all) people I know couldn't care less.

Habs10Habs 12-21-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 41282159)
Demers I believe

I believe you're correct. That was a long...long time ago.

WeThreeKings 12-21-2011 08:22 AM

Not only is too harsh. It's incredibly stupid.

They are sensationalists and prey on the sensibilities of those too far removed to formulate their own opinions.

Their archaic ways of looking at the sport, the city, the world and the team is seriously infecting of the minds of the younger population who should be looking to turn an eye toward a bright future of the Montreal Canadiens.

Instead we play the devil. We torment the good players we get. The media pries too deep into personal matters which is none of their business and none of ours as fans. They try to weigh their political agendas on the team where they don't belong. They cripple the team, put a glass ceiling on its potential and then ***** when we do not succeed.

Habs10Habs 12-21-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 41282265)

They are sensationalists and prey on the sensibilities of those too far removed to formulate their own opinions.

Their archaic ways of looking at the sport, the city, the world and the team is seriously infecting of the minds of the younger population who should be looking to turn an eye toward a bright future of the Montreal Canadiens.

Instead we play the devil. We torment the good players we get. The media pries too deep into personal matters which is none of their business and none of ours as fans. They try to weigh their political agendas on the team where they don't belong. They cripple the team, put a glass ceiling on its potential and then ***** when we do not succeed.

Very well said. You saved me a lot of typing.

RaMMuT 12-21-2011 08:32 AM

It's very political...

I think the Quebec Government does not want to lose whatever culture they have left. Putting an english coach is kind of taking away some of their power or influence they have on such a cultural organization like the habs...

So they use the media and propaganda to shape people's mentalities and influence them into believing that it's NOT okay to have a non-speaking french coach.

That's why all these journalists and radio stations only talk about this. Propaganda is a very powerful tool that politicians LOVE to use to influence the masses and control their thinking...

just my 2 cents...

Bodacious 12-21-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

That's all true but what are you going to do about it? The media doesn't dig into the personal lives of the Als or the Impact because people don't care about those teams. They write stories that people will be motivated to read, and in Montreal, anything juicy concerning the Habs will get a lot of eyes because people care about the team.

The only solution is get people to care less about the team, and that's not happening nor do you want that to happen. Why are you a fan? How did you hear about them? If it wasn't for the media attention, the team would have a lot less fans.

Certainly they are the devil, but a necessary one.

roy munson 12-21-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

You perfectly summed up everything I feel about the MTL medias in only a few sentences :handclap: The bolded part is the heart of the problem IMO. Too many people can't have an opinion on their own, so they believe anything the news/papers/etc tell them. And it's dangerous.

MathMan 12-21-2011 08:48 AM

75%, at least, of the media covering the Canadiens do not actually cover hockey.

The team has become a national soap opera.

Joe Cole 12-21-2011 08:50 AM

When teams are down, often coaches use the "us against the world" technique to motivate their teams.

I see this as the same scenario. I really do not believe that every journalist believes in this whole "it's an insult to have an uni-lingual coach" storyline, but, they go with the flow because it is a momentum maintainer for their own careers.

I am sure some really feel that it is wrong to have a uni-lingual coach at the head of the team. But most are realistic that Cunneyworth was on the payroll, knew the system and has the logical successor for the interm, and that another coach has been targetted but may be under contract to another team.

Le Tricolore 12-21-2011 08:50 AM

I didn't even realize we had media here? What do they report on?

HH 12-21-2011 08:52 AM

Lost a lot of respect for Francois Gagnon over this even going on the English media (CBC, TSN) and spewing his crap.

TVA Sports basically killing the Habs yesterday on Le Match with even ex-Habs players saying omg what have they become. LIKE REALLY? LOOK YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR YOU ****ING MORONS.

Also the Quebec Government should ****. Fix the ****ing roads and corruption crap instead of worrying what language the coach of the freaking hockey team is speaking.

Crimson Skorpion 12-21-2011 08:58 AM

Bush-league.

I understand the culture part of their side of the argument, I really do. It's true that this team has ties with the culture of the province of Québec and the French language. However when you start to debate not thinking it's a good idea to bring in a coach with no experience in the NHL and in the same breath, suggest replacing Cunneyworth with Roy, you have lost a lot of credibility.

The remainder of your credibility is lost when you take a little cheap-shot at Cunneyworth's language "issues" by putting "Another loss for Cunneyworth" at the bottom of the front page of Journal de Montreal. That to me is the work of someone that should never be considered qualified to make a living in journalism. Ever.

The English media is no better, with Hickey's butthole relapse on the whole Fleury situation and Jack Todd's... welll, everything he writes is pure garbage.

It goes both way. French media, English media. All the same. You have you're few breaths of fresh air, particularly M-A Godin and Brian Wilde and maybe a few here and there, but the remainder is very bush-league.

Aurel Joliat 12-21-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryI (Post 41282877)
Lost a lot of respect for Francois Gagnon over this even going on the English media (CBC, TSN) and spewing his crap.

TVA Sports basically killing the Habs yesterday on Le Match with even ex-Habs players saying omg what have they become. LIKE REALLY? LOOK YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR YOU ****ING MORONS.

Also the Quebec Government should ****. Fix the ****ing roads and corruption crap instead of worrying what language the coach of the freaking hockey team is speaking.

Good thing I am moving to Toronto soon. Can't stand Quebec politics and this media. (I know Ontario has issues as well but not as much as this bs)

I don't care if our coach don't speak french. But they are right when they ask what have they become... It's a shame what happen right now to the Montreal Canadiens

And the award for the worst journalist goes to... Philippe Cantin. This guy is a real joke

PricePkPatch 12-21-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

We torment our good players? Yhea, right. I just can't get ennough of articles that call out Subban, Price, Patch and Plek for not speaking French. You see these EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Get real a minute. We make an issue of this about the administrative structure of the team. NOT the players.

Darryl: good riddance. You can also switch fanbase, we won't be crying your departure.