HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Prospect Info: Tampa Bay Lightning represented at WJC (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1060819)

chasespace 12-21-2011 09:16 PM

Tampa Bay Lightning represented at WJC

These are the current Lightning prospects playing in the WJC and their stats.

Canada:

Brett Connolly
GP:4 G:4 A:1 P:5 +/-:4

Russia:

Nikita Kucherov
GP:4 G:1 A:4 P:5 +/-:7

Nikita Nesterov
GP:4 G:1 A:3 P:4 +/-:8

Slovakia:

Adam Janosik
GP:4 G:0 A:0 P:0 +/-:E

ultra63 12-22-2011 07:08 AM

Brett gets a lot of negative comments on the boards. I hope he makes the first line and is an assistant captain

zeykshade 12-22-2011 07:37 AM

Haven't read the main boards. His personality and lack of charisma on camera may account for some of that. He seems real cavalier in interviews. His play on the other hand, is not cavalier. He stood out in the exhibition game vs. Finland. He didn't stand out like Jaden Schwartz, but he stood out. Devante Smith-Pelley was another that jumped off the screen. That kid was wrecking people every shift.

Don't know if this link will work for everyone: http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip588205

TheDaysOf 04 12-22-2011 01:44 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/BoltProspects
Quote:

Brett Connolly name an alternate captain for Team Canada at WJCs. #TBLightning #WJC2012

newham89 12-23-2011 04:29 AM

What happened to namestnikov? First I heard he was going to be top line centre and now he is cut?

LightningStrikes 12-23-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newham89 (Post 41380475)
What happened to namestnikov? First I heard he was going to be top line centre and now he is cut?

He's too good!

TheDaysOf 04 12-23-2011 06:33 AM

What the heck? I would definitely like to find out the reasoning for cutting Namestnikov.

Benders Lindyhop 12-23-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 (Post 41381151)
What the heck? I would definitely like to find out the reasoning for cutting Namestnikov.

Quote:

dchesnokov Dmitry Chesnokov
I was told Namestnikov didn't make it bc he's a 1-2 line F and there're players on those lines better than he is.
Well that sucks. They couldn't play him on the 3rd line?

chasespace 12-23-2011 10:32 AM

Either a mod edited my post or I'm psychic and left him out. Either way, did not see this one coming.

zeykshade 12-23-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albatross (Post 41384903)
Well that sucks. They couldn't play him on the 3rd line?

That's really not how things are done nowadays. If a 3rd liner gets hurt in the NHL, they bring up a 3rd liner from the minors typically. They fill by the role on the team it would appear. Seems they do the same thing in the WJC in Russia. If the role of their 3rd line is energy and physicality, I can see them not using Namestnikov for that.

Benders Lindyhop 12-23-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 41386207)
That's really not how things are done nowadays. If a 3rd liner gets hurt in the NHL, they bring up a 3rd liner from the minors typically. They fill by the role on the team it would appear. Seems they do the same thing in the WJC in Russia. If the role of their 3rd line is energy and physicality, I can see them not using Namestnikov for that.

I get that with an NHL team. However, for a tourney like this, when the kids have a very limited amount of time to play on their national team, it would seem that you would pick the best possible player. Yeah, he's a scorer and not a grinder, but put him on an energy line and I think he would be fine.

ultra63 12-23-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 (Post 41340287)

Not quite as good as it sounds. "Brett Connolly, Devante Smith-Pelly, Quinton Howden and Brandon Gormley will rotate as alternate captains." http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/22...anadas-captain

zeykshade 12-23-2011 11:11 AM

Sounds good to me. Connolly has always had body language and attitude of someone that is just cavalier about everything. Anytime he can get any leadership experience is good for us. Even if he has to share it with 3 other people.

TheDaysOf 04 12-23-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra63 (Post 41386943)
Not quite as good as it sounds. "Brett Connolly, Devante Smith-Pelly, Quinton Howden and Brandon Gormley will rotate as alternate captains." http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/22...anadas-captain

I think it's still good. He might not be wearing the letter on his jersey a few nights, but the coaching staff and the rest of the team will still look at him as part of the leadership group.

TheDaysOf 04 12-24-2011 01:39 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/tomppaaax
Quote:

RUS media reports that #TBLighting pick Vladislav Namestnikov was cut due to an injury he didn't originally tell team management about. #WJC

zeykshade 12-25-2011 08:18 AM

Oh, that would explain it. He didn't want the injury to jeopardize his chance at the team and tried to play through it.

ultra63 12-25-2011 10:15 AM

Tampa Bay Lightning rookie Brett Connolly has something to prove to Canadian fans at

"Let's be honest. Brett Connolly has a lot of work to do to rebuild his reputation among the hockey fans in his native Canada.

That's because the Lightning's rookie right wing made such a poor impression in his first few days at Canada's evaluation camp for its world junior championship team............... "

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1207766.ece

LightningStrikes 12-25-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra63 (Post 41456279)
"Let's be honest. Brett Connolly has a lot of work to do to rebuild his reputation among the hockey fans in his native Canada.

That's because the Lightning's rookie right wing made such a poor impression in his first few days at Canada's evaluation camp for its world junior championship team............... "

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1207766.ece

According to the link above Namestnikov is still with the Russian team:
Quote:

OTHER LIGHTNING PROSPECTS AT WORLD JUNIOR tournament through Jan. 6: Russia Vladislav Namestnikov, C; Nikita Kucherov, RW; Nikita Nesterov, D. Slovakia Adam Janosik, D.
:dunno:

Going Back to Cally 12-25-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningStrikes (Post 41457049)
According to the link above Namestnikov is still with the Russian team:

:dunno:

My guess is lazy editing by the Times.

zeykshade 12-25-2011 12:27 PM

Are they talking about how he concussed Howden or something? The guy looked fine in the game I watched vs. Finland in exhibition. What else are they talking about?

TBLHoser 12-25-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 41458501)
Are they talking about how he concussed Howden or something? The guy looked fine in the game I watched vs. Finland in exhibition. What else are they talking about?

Well, the coaches wanted more intensity from him and he whacked Howden during a scrimmage. Also, when he got to Calgary he said to the Canadian media that being in the WJC was "bittersweet" instead of praising the Canadian hockey gods that he was a "chosen one".

Going Back to Cally 12-26-2011 04:24 PM

Connolly just blew past a Finn Defenseman/pylon and put Canada up 6-1.

The Wyzerhood 12-26-2011 07:42 PM

Connolly looked great with the puck on his stick tonight, not enough physical play though. That wrist shot for the goal was an absolute laser.

Murray will be worth keeping an eye on since we could be in the top 5 for next year's draft. His skating is supposed to smooth and a strong point, but he looked a little slow out there as a few Finns blew by him a couple times (though his long reach allowed him to cause some trouble). Aside from that, he was solid defensively with good awareness and an active stick. Not much offence either, though he did join the rush a few times. IMO, he compares well to Dan Hamhuis, with the potential to be better offensively and contribute 40-50 points.

ultra63 12-28-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High (Post 41493653)
Connolly looked great with the puck on his stick tonight, not enough physical play though. That wrist shot for the goal was an absolute laser.

Murray will be worth keeping an eye on since we could be in the top 5 for next year's draft. His skating is supposed to smooth and a strong point, but he looked a little slow out there as a few Finns blew by him a couple times (though his long reach allowed him to cause some trouble). Aside from that, he was solid defensively with good awareness and an active stick. Not much offence either, though he did join the rush a few times. IMO, he compares well to Dan Hamhuis, with the potential to be better offensively and contribute 40-50 points.

HNIC radio discussed Connolly at 4 PM today and reported he only got to be on the 3rd line rather than the 4th only because another player got injured. Disappointing for someone who has played 28 NHL games!

TheDaysOf 04 12-28-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra63 (Post 41565579)
HNIC radio discussed Connolly at 4 PM today and reported he only got to be on the 3rd line rather than the 4th only because another player got injured. Disappointing for someone who has played 28 NHL games!

Well the guy he is replacing on the 3rd line, Devante Smith-Pelly, has played 26 games for the Ducks and Canada has been loving this guy since he was loaned. Canada is always a deep team. I think Connolly playing on the lower lines doesn't mean he's been a disappointment so far. From what I've seen, he has looked good. Like Smith-Pelly, it's just the role he has been given.

On another note, I just watched the US-Finland game and Jacob Trouba was really great for the Americans. I'm definitely interested in this kid now. Considering the US are playing 5 defensmen from their 2010 U18 (would be 6 D if Carolina let Faulk play) which many people consider to be the best US U18 team ever I think it's pretty impressive for Trouba to not only make the team at his age but also play as well as he has. He was really physical and also made some nice plays one one one with his stick. He also rushed the puck alone up the ice a few times. He looks like he's got the full package.