HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: Antero Niittymaki Recalled from Worcester (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1062059)

TheJuxtaposer 12-23-2011 12:08 PM

Antero Niittymaki Recalled from Worcester

@SanJoseSharksPR
San Jose Sharks PR
@SanJoseSharks recall goaltender Antero Niittymaki from conditioning assignment with @WorcesterSharks #sjsharks

hockeyball 12-23-2011 12:18 PM

On that topic, you have to think Niitty would like to be traded at this point. He has no contract next season, and with his injury history he needs to get in with a new org and prove himself worthy of a contract next season. He's got a much better shot at that elsewhere than sharing time with Greiss and Niemi.

The right thing for Doug to do is move Niitty. He's a good guy, he's been very polite through the whole Niemi surprise and losing his starting rule. I'm confident Doug is going to move him if he can.

norcaltactics 12-23-2011 12:25 PM

agreed. I nitty and its best for him to move at this point.

magic school bus 12-23-2011 12:45 PM

Sucks that he has to move because he got hurt, but that's how sports are. No hard feelings, Niitty. Just business.

AstroDan 12-23-2011 12:59 PM

I'm not convinced that it'll be Nitty that goes.
DW made the move after Nabby to get Nemo and Nitty (all N's...)
Is there something I'm missing thinking that it might be Greiss that goes?
Sharks do have other prospects in minors for future goaltending, right?

KpopandHockey 12-23-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstroDan (Post 41390561)
I'm not convinced that it'll be Nitty that goes.
DW made the move after Nabby to get Nemo and Nitty (all N's...)
Is there something I'm missing thinking that it might be Greiss that goes?
Sharks do have other prospects in minors for future goaltending, right?

It wouldn't be wise to rely on a backup with the injury history that Niitty has. What happens if he goes down again and Niemi ends up having to play another 30 straight games because the coaching staff doesn't want to rely on an AHL call up to start.

hockeyball 12-23-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KpopandHockey (Post 41390633)
It wouldn't be wise to rely on a backup with the injury history that Niitty has. What happens if he goes down again and Niemi ends up having to play another 30 straight games because the coaching staff doesn't want to rely on an AHL call up to start.

Right, plus the org signed Greiss on a one way contract through next season (one way next season) with the obvious intention of him playing the backup role. Niitty on the other hand is a UFA at the end of the season, and is eating up $2m in payroll, and injury prone.

Also, Stalock was the only NHL 'ready' goalie we had besides Greiss, and the org has no idea how he will recover after missing a year of playtime. Sateri, Sexsmith, Heemskirk, JP, etc all need more development.

AstroDan 12-23-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 41390755)
Right, plus the org signed Greiss on a one way contract through next season (one way next season) with the obvious intention of him playing the backup role. Niitty on the other hand is a UFA at the end of the season, and is eating up $2m in payroll, and injury prone.

Also, Stalock was the only NHL 'ready' goalie we had besides Greiss, and the org has no idea how he will recover after missing a year of playtime. Sateri, Sexsmith, Heemskirk, JP, etc all need more development.

Good points, thanks.

Spacemania 12-23-2011 01:32 PM

yeah, Nitty is currently stuck in goalie hell, 3rd man out. Only one way he'll play again on this team and I really don't want to see that happen.

SensSharksGirl* 12-23-2011 01:32 PM

But does anybody know when Antero Niittymaki will make his debut in the Sharks uniform?

hockeyball 12-23-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensSharksGirl (Post 41391685)
But does anybody know when Antero Niittymaki will make his debut in the Sharks uniform?

If he does, it will just be as a showcase against a poor offensive team. So Bluejackets would be my guess. More likely, he proved he was healthy playing in the AHL and the Sharks will not want to risk a new injury prior to trading him. They'll only play him if they have to.

Phu 12-23-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensSharksGirl (Post 41391685)

September 22, 2010

stalockrox 12-23-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

This is the best argument for keeping Greiss and I agree, Niitty's hips / groin are an issue and I'd really hope they don't run Niemi into the ground during the 2nd half of the season again.

With that said, I have no doubt that if Wilson and McLellan believe Niitty gives them the best chance at winning this year, they'll either keep 3 goalies or move Greiss.

210 12-23-2011 02:55 PM

Unless it's a deal that is so good SJ would be dumb to not take it there's no chance DW trades Greiss.

stalockrox 12-23-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 41394403)
Unless it's a deal that is so good SJ would be dumb to not take it there's no chance DW trades Greiss.

I'm sure most fans would much prefer to keep Greiss and move Niitty, me included, but Wilson (and McLellan) has always been about winning and it's pretty apparent to me that McLellan still doesn't have enough trust in Greiss.

I would also think that teams that want goaltending help this year would be much more interested in Niitty seeing as he established and still good if he's healthy.

I didn't say he should be or will be traded, I just wouldn't be totally shocked if he's moved.

Linkster 12-23-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juantimer (Post 41392667)
September 22, 2010

I talked to my consultant at the Psychic Friends Network, and it took her 8 minutes to agree with you.

$3.99 a minute... such a bargain! :laugh:

Oppa 12-23-2011 03:24 PM

Let the man start :yo:

210 12-23-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 41394697)
I'm sure most fans would much prefer to keep Greiss and move Niitty, me included, but Wilson (and McLellan) has always been about winning and it's pretty apparent to me that McLellan still doesn't have enough trust in Greiss.

I would also think that teams that want goaltending help this year would be much more interested in Niitty seeing as he established and still good if he's healthy.

I didn't say he should be or will be traded, I just wouldn't be totally shocked if he's moved.

Greiss' contract is built entirely about being in SJ next season when Niitty isn't there...nothing has chanced on that front. He's not going anywhere.

sjshark91 12-23-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawaii (Post 41395345)
Let the man start :yo:

He's only good against Philly and TB.

TheJuxtaposer 12-23-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshark91 (Post 41396413)
He's only good against Philly and TB.

And Atlantapeg! And what if we end up playing Philly... in an important situation... :sarcasm:

Franchise13 12-23-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer (Post 41396639)
And Atlantapeg! And what if we end up playing Philly... in an important situation... :sarcasm:

A cure for concussions would be found and Pronger would just torment us anyway. Nitty or no Nitty, SJ would shrivel at the sight of Pronger and just concede.

stalockrox 12-23-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 41396271)
Greiss' contract is built entirely about being in SJ next season when Niitty isn't there...nothing has chanced on that front. He's not going anywhere.

Out of curiosity, is that something the brass in Worcester told you? Or are you basing it on the 2 year deal he signed?

210 12-23-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 41398571)
Out of curiosity, is that something the brass in Worcester told you? Or are you basing it on the 2 year deal he signed?

Well, if it were something they told me I likely couldn't tell you ;)

It's based entirely on how his contract was designed.

Kitten Mittons 12-23-2011 05:41 PM

There is no reason to re-sign Nitty for another year. Greiss will be the backup for sure next season. Then, hopefully, Stalock.

210 12-23-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 41399003)
There is no reason to re-sign Nitty for another year. Greiss will be the backup for sure next season. Then, hopefully, Stalock.

Unless some incredible deal comes SJ's way that's likely how it will play out.