HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Biggest surprises to you so far this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1062981)

Hockey Team 12-25-2011 01:03 AM

Biggest surprises to you so far this year?

So far in hockey this year.. my biggest surprises..

- Rangers being in position to contend for the president's trophy. I expected this team to not be a bubble team, but I was expecting like 5 or 6 seed, not be one of the top feeders
- How good defensively the team's been despite missing staal. Especially how good MDZ's been after a trainwreck of a season last year
- How bad this team's been offensively! With the addition of richards I kinda expected more out of the offense. Though middle feeder offense with top feeder defense does the job pretty well.
- How good philly has been despite shipping off some key players.
- Washington is in position to miss the playoffs

Kane One 12-25-2011 01:05 AM

I'm surprised at the little amount of goals Dubinsky.

mike14 12-25-2011 01:05 AM

MDZ - just wow.......

Hockey Team 12-25-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 41451745)

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Nobody would expect his #s to be this bad. He is snakebitten as hell though, his shot % is like 3%

BlueshirtBlitz 12-25-2011 01:10 AM

Our defense being this good with Staal and Sauer.

JeffMangum 12-25-2011 01:11 AM

20 ROWs.

I did not expect this many non-shootout wins...

Kane One 12-25-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 41451745)

Edit - Add "has" at the end.

McDonagh 12-25-2011 01:17 AM

The whole entire defense. It has been awesome, givem the circumstances. Every singleplayer who has been on our blueline thus season, except for maybe Erixon, but he's still getting used to playing in N.A. I guess Sauer too, but he has been just as solid as last year and injured a bit this year.

Dubinsky.

Biron was awesome last year, but he has been even better this year.

I don't want to keep going, because honestly almost the whole team is exceeding what I expected. Except obvious ones like Prust and Dubinsky. I also knew Boyle wouldn't get 20 this year, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Calad 12-25-2011 01:20 AM

Don't look now, but we're 8th in goals for.

My biggest surprises- MDZ, but even more so is how amazing the depth is on this team is. The way they plug players into this lineup is seamless and is the true strength of the rangers roster.

pld459666 12-25-2011 01:23 AM

Artem Anisimov - Who knew he would awaken offensively as a winger. We've all wanted to see him show this side of his game. Does anyone think that the defensive responsibility of being a center prevented him from being this good?

If he can learn to better manage both sides, he's going to be a sick player.

Also, Derek Stepan, this kid is good. I mean real Good. Plays well at both ends of the ice and is so confident with the puck and what he wants to do with it. He's exceeding my expectations. He's as much a reason for Gabby's strong start as Gabby is for him. Stepan can be a #1 center. His decision making abilities and hands are surperb. I wasn't expecting to see what we are seeing.

Mike Del Zotto, what got into this kid. He seems like someone got him mad over the summer and now he's looking to prove someone wrong. Dude is making smart decisions in his own zone. He's getting physical with opposing forwards and he's not losing battles. On offence he still tends to go for the long pass, but he's smarter with the times he tries it. He also seems to know beter when NOT to do that. His maturity level is impressive.

BlueshirtBlitz 12-25-2011 01:27 AM

Yeah, Stepan is also another big surprise. After the first 10 games I had him written off for a sophomore slump. Glad he shoved that crow right into my face.

Giacomin 12-25-2011 01:30 AM

Stu Bickel!

donpaulo 12-25-2011 01:31 AM

agree with Del Zotto, he has been everything a ranger fan could have hoped for

Fitzy 12-25-2011 01:48 AM

Pleasant surprises...

1. Del Zotto
2. Biron
3. Stepan
4. Hagelin

Unpleasant surprises...

1. Dubinsky
2. Staal
3. Shootouts
4. Defensive injuries.

Leetch3 12-25-2011 01:56 AM

mdz.

TheHotRock 12-25-2011 02:00 AM

1. del zotto
2. seeing the effort when the game is "over'
4. the resiliency of our d corps

Zuccarello Awesome* 12-25-2011 02:13 AM

Girardi deserves mention. He has stepped up and seamlessly accepted the role of being our #1 defenseman as if he's been playing that role for 20 years. What a professional.

Pizza 12-25-2011 02:19 AM

That MDZ has gone from miserable creature to Renaissance man in the span of a few months. That's a good kid there.

That Stepan keeps showing us that the sky truly is the limit for him. That's another good kid there.

That we keep getting the goal that puts us up by two.

That I'm having more fun on this board than I've ever had.

darko 12-25-2011 02:25 AM

How well MDZ, McDonagh and Stepan have played so far this season.

As for teams: Rangers, Philly and Minny.

Bob Richards 12-25-2011 02:32 AM

-Girardi turning into Lidstrom
-Dubi's inability to score
-How well the team is holding up even with a decimated D Corps.

Hockey Team 12-25-2011 02:34 AM

What's been up with the shootout?

1-3 on shootouts.. and lundqvist was in net for all 4 of the games. We have richards, who should be good in the shootout, just no goals.. and no crazy performances by lundqvist where he stops like 8 in a row.

Still not happy to see EC playing though. I'd rather see players on the roster who can help the team win in regulation. Screw the shootout if you're winning in regulation more.

Beacon 12-25-2011 02:53 AM

The quality of the defense without Staal and now Sauer has been a nice surprise.

Also, we are the #2 team in the whole league in points per game.

Drewbackatu* 12-25-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 41451975)
Artem Anisimov - Who knew he would awaken offensively as a winger. We've all wanted to see him show this side of his game. Does anyone think that the defensive responsibility of being a center prevented him from being this good?

If he can learn to better manage both sides, he's going to be a sick player.

Also, Derek Stepan, this kid is good. I mean real Good. Plays well at both ends of the ice and is so confident with the puck and what he wants to do with it. He's exceeding my expectations. He's as much a reason for Gabby's strong start as Gabby is for him. Stepan can be a #1 center. His decision making abilities and hands are surperb. I wasn't expecting to see what we are seeing.

Mike Del Zotto, what got into this kid. He seems like someone got him mad over the summer and now he's looking to prove someone wrong. Dude is making smart decisions in his own zone. He's getting physical with opposing forwards and he's not losing battles. On offence he still tends to go for the long pass, but he's smarter with the times he tries it. He also seems to know beter when NOT to do that. His maturity level is impressive.

Great post. You hit the nail on the head with all of these observations. Anisimov is flourishing at wing because he has less decision making to do and he can get in on the forecheck sooner and just be in a position to react offensively instead of having to create for others(which he can still do like with Gabby's goal against the Devils).
D-Step's fit as a perfect center for Gabby should come as no surprise to all of us who watched his performance in the world juniors tournament in 09. He has elite vision when he is on the ice knowing instinctively what to do and where to be and he's mature beyond his years. If he can continue to grow and improve his shot and skating, the sky's the limit for him.
MDZ(who I admittedly have been a critic of) must of worked his a** off this past off season because he has been the biggest surprise of all our players. He has been terrific lately on the defensive side being our best defenseman in terms of physicality and compete level along the boards in our zone. I was really impressed with his physical presense friday nite against the Flyers forwards. Offensively, he seems to be gaining more confidence as the season progresses and is even shooting the puck more. Once his accuracy improves, we could be looking at a 50 point guy down the road.

Krampus 12-25-2011 07:10 AM

-All the young guys stepping up. Especially Steps, and Bickel
-Dan ****ing Girardi!
-Our PP is painful to look at
-Dude... we're in 2nd place!

cenas* 12-25-2011 07:23 AM

I think its weird our PP sucks this year.. I think we have been lucky they have been scoring even this much the way they execute it. They need to get way more shots through..

Last year was even worse and they only scored on transition on the PP, but that's a low low bar.

Hagelin has been a revelation.