HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Feet are different size - anyone else have this issue? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1063523)

nystromshairstylist 12-26-2011 10:45 AM

Feet are different size - anyone else have this issue?

I am noticing that I seem to have a problem the skate fitter caught when I bought my skates, but appears even more pronounced than first thought.

When I tie my left skate, it is snug and fits perfectly, but the right needs to be tied 2-3 times per night, as it seems to get loose from skating, and I believe it is due to the size difference of my left vs. right foot.

The fitter placed a small "shiv" under the right footbed to try and compensate, but perhaps the better solution might have actually been to purchase boot size down for the right, like an 8 instead of the 8.5 size pair I did buy. I'm guessing that this might not have been possible as manufacturers don't generally sell pairs of different sized skates, and if I'd bought an 8-size pair the right would have fit fine, but the left would have felt cramped.

My right foot is definitely smaller than my left; the best way to describe the difference would be the measurement of a cross-section of my foot (the diameter cutting my foot in half just before the toes) would be perhaps an eighth inch or so smaller than the left.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it even possible to buy a single pair of skates that are sized differently? Outside of using some type of computer modeling technology, is there a way to confirm the amount of the sizing difference for certain?

ArrogantOwl 12-26-2011 11:05 AM

The only real way to get a guaranteed fit would be to go custom. I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't think the difference is as pronounced. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough that my feet are so wide I can go up a size lengthwise and have the boot fit snugly around the foot that doesn't reach into the toebox and it doesn't hinder me at all.

AIREAYE 12-26-2011 06:36 PM

Try a stretch or a rebake? That's usually how we do it; size skates to the smaller foot and compensate for the larger by stretching. I honestly don't know how effective that is though, but as of now, you could try that route.

hyster110 12-26-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl (Post 41474303)
The only real way to get a guaranteed fit would be to go custom. I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't think the difference is as pronounced. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough that my feet are so wide I can go up a size lengthwise and have the boot fit snugly around the foot that doesn't reach into the toebox and it doesn't hinder me at all.

even with customs they are hard to get exact fit with the new composite boots. because of the cost of making a mould, most companies have eliminated alot of the quarter sizes

Jarick 12-27-2011 09:08 AM

Most people's feet are .25 to .5 different in size. Also, ask women how symmetrical their chest is :)

Ideally you'd get the smaller size then have the bigger foot stretched or punched a bit. Once you bake them it should help too.

Stickmata 12-27-2011 10:31 AM

Have the tighter boot stretched slightly. Everyone's feet are slightly different sizes. I'm a half size bigger in my right foot than my left.