HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tortorella for the Adams (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1063949)

EpicDing 12-26-2011 10:59 PM

Tortorella for the Adams

I think the most overlooked facet of his team's success us Torts. He doesn't accept losing and knows how to fire players up. 24/7 has given us some great insight on exactly what he does to make this team what it is. He's te reason we are one of the best conditioned teams in the league. Now that Torts has calmed down with the line swapping, we can really appreciate him. Barring a huge meltdown, I believe Torts should be at least a finalist for the Jack Adams award.

Alvvays 12-26-2011 11:01 PM

Can we edit "fire Tortorella" into the title and add a poll?

I think that honor would go to either of Kevin Dineen of Mike Yeo at the moment, imo. Unless those two teams completely fall apart, there's a chance for Torts, though.

BlueshirtBlitz 12-26-2011 11:02 PM

If the team doesn't suddenly drop off, agreed.

The defense, guys like Hagelin stepping up, that's all coaching.

Fitzy 12-26-2011 11:04 PM

Two weeks ago I was reading about how he should be fired because he isn't giving Avery enough minutes.

"Clown" I believe is people's favorite expression.

The Adams might be going a bit far, at this early point in the season.

Draft Guru 12-26-2011 11:05 PM

Way too early for this thread, IMO. Talk to me in April.

nyr2k2 12-26-2011 11:06 PM

Awful lot of hockey left to be played.

I certainly do like the direction he has the team headed.

EpicDing 12-26-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 41504669)
Can we edit "fire Tortorella" into the title and add a poll?

I think that honor would go to either of Kevin Dineen of Mike Yeo at the moment, imo. Unless those two teams completely fall apart, there's a chance for Torts, though.

On mobile right now, but if ou can do it as a mod go for it.

Alvvays 12-26-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicDing (Post 41505205)
On mobile right now, but if ou can do it as a mod go for it.

I was making a reference to last year's thread (Torts for Adams!/Fire Torts!)

Funniest thread ever.

EpicDing 12-26-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 41505239)
I was making a reference to last year's thread (Torts for Adams!/Fire Torts!)

Funniest thread ever.

Oh haha that didn't click.

Killem Dafoe 12-26-2011 11:17 PM

oh come on with this. really?

i don't even..

Bleed Ranger Blue 12-26-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou (Post 41505413)
oh come on with this. really?

i don't even..

What? Long way to go, but hes certainly in the conversations and maybe the front-runner right now considering the longterm success with the other teams near the top of the NHL standings.

Couldnt stand Tortorella 2 years ago, thought he was better last year, and things continue to get better. People have only been able to nitpick inconsiquential roster decisions for the 12th-14th forwards the last couple months. Thats the highest compliment possible for a NYC coach.

we want cup 12-26-2011 11:27 PM

He's got the team going awesome right now. There's no way to know how the season will play out, but he should certainly be a contender at this point.

OverTheCap 12-26-2011 11:38 PM

Torts definitely deserves some credit for how he's handled the influx of injuries on D. The fact that defensemen such as Stralman, Erixon, Woywitka, etc. are able to step in almost seamlessly without suffering too much on defense is a testament to how effective our system is.

McDonagh 12-26-2011 11:42 PM

If the regular season ended today, where would he be?

NYR Sting 12-26-2011 11:42 PM

The rapid transformation of Del Zotto is incredible, and you have to believe Johnny Cakes has played a major part in that. I do, anyway, and I've been on the fence about Tortorella since the get go. The thing is, I didn't think he was a good coach for a non-contending team. But this team is so close to that now, he fits them a lot better.

Kudos to him. He is definitely worthy of consideration.

Callagraves 12-26-2011 11:56 PM

Watching him in 24/7 is something else man. The way he comes at them, I want to lace up skates and hit somebody. His attitude after Artie's celebration scrum was perfect. The game went to a shootout, which is regrettable, but his message and how he set the mindset was perfect.

"It's time to go to work."

I'm a Torts fan. What's up?

BKBlackRanger 12-27-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 41506407)
The rapid transformation of Del Zotto is incredible, and you have to believe Johnny Cakes has played a major part in that. I do, anyway, and I've been on the fence about Tortorella since the get go. The thing is, I didn't think he was a good coach for a non-contending team. But this team is so close to that now, he fits them a lot better.

Kudos to him. He is definitely worthy of consideration.

See: Tampa Bay

chip chipperson* 12-27-2011 01:21 AM

would having the leading goal scorer (so far), the big free agent richards and henrik work against torts?

Callagraves 12-27-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip chipperson (Post 41509053)
would having the leading goal scorer (so far), the big free agent richards and henrik work against torts?

I don't think so. I mean Dan Bylsma had Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury. Though losing Crosby may be WHY he got the Adams

chip chipperson* 12-27-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callagraves (Post 41509231)
I don't think so. I mean Dan Bylsma had Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury. Though losing Crosby may be WHY he got the Adams

he lost malkin too, and if i remember right some of their dmen missed time.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan 12-27-2011 06:43 AM

He's not playing Avery, fire him :sarcasm:

BlueshirtBlitz 12-27-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip chipperson (Post 41509267)
he lost malkin too, and if i remember right some of their dmen missed time.

Yeah, Malkin ****ed up his knee soon after Crosby went down, I think.

The big free agent shouldn't count, and Fleury, although unspectacular IMO, is still not a bad goalie. Not on Hank's level but he had a good year last year.

DutchShamrock 12-27-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callagraves (Post 41509231)

And we lost Staal every game so far, Sauer is down, and 3 AHLers are on the blueline. And yeah, he has Gaborik, but the Gaborik he had last year scored as many in all of last season as Gaborik this season. Del Zotto... is another player entirely. Shouldn't he get some kind of credit there?

Forget about rosters for a minute, the game plan and coaching was phenomenal against the Flyers. The forechecking system by this team is shutting down the top scoring teams of the league. We're almost +60 in goal differential. They work hard, buy into the team concept, seamlessly insert player after player after injuries.

It's early, but he's in the conversation.

Stugots 12-27-2011 09:18 AM

Wayyyyyyyy too early, but yes he is on the right track.

Killem Dafoe 12-27-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 41505513)
What? Long way to go, but hes certainly in the conversations and maybe the front-runner right now considering the longterm success with the other teams near the top of the NHL standings.

Couldnt stand Tortorella 2 years ago, thought he was better last year, and things continue to get better. People have only been able to nitpick inconsiquential roster decisions for the 12th-14th forwards the last couple months. Thats the highest compliment possible for a NYC coach.

he may very well get it. and it may very well be deserved, but i was referring to a time not too long ago where people were calling for his head. the fickle nature of these boards still amuses me after all these years.